Analysis of the ratings system

If OzTam & RegionalTAM were to ever merge, surely the regional figures we’d see publicly would just be for the wider QLD, NNSW, SNSW/ACT, Victoria, Tasmania & WA markets (as the case is right now with the weekly numbers posted for all to see on the RegionalTAM website)? The broadcasters most likely have access to far more comprehensive data which can tell them how programs are fairing (particularly when it comes to local news bulletins) in specific sub-markets anyway.

On a couple of the other points you’ve made…

*Regional SA/Broken Hill probably isn’t included in the RegionalTAM ratings because it’s not an aggregated market. Either WIN or SCA is the sole broadcaster of all commercial channels, depending on where you are. One would imagine that broadcasters in the rural/regional TV markets not represented by RegionalTAM have their own methods of audience research.
*Canberra’s television channels are the locals in fairly notable towns like Queanbeyan, Yass and Goulburn - all of which are in New South Wales. Also, Canberra has been part of the wider Southern NSW/ACT market for about three decades now. This isn’t a major issue IMO.

5 Likes

ten has finally hit the nail on the head:) and i think 9 and 7 should follow , i fully agree with the cord thing its farly accurate on how people watch tv and streaming services . for me i am a cord haver and my bf hes a cord never

I personally think Seven & Nine will stick with overnight ratings for now. Unlike Ten, their schedules are more reliant on news/sport - for those genres it’s important to see how many viewers were watching on the night since they probably don’t gain that much in consolidated ratings.

For programs like The Bachelor/ette & Five Bedrooms however, I can definitely understand why Ten would only want to focus on consolidated ratings.

10 today sent media a new 5 city data snapshot which expanded the reporting of key shows from Monday May 3rd (note: but not all shows).

[quote=“JBar, post:187, topic:182”]
From today, Network Ten will focus on seven day audience data, rather than overnight data,
[/quote].

Advertising speak for
The 7 day data makes us look better than the overnight data does.

1 Like

They’re not hiding the fact. That’s exactly what they’re saying.

1 Like

Who wants to make a bet the next time a 10 show gets over 1 million they will report overnights again.

3 Likes

With the success SBS is currently having and the imminent arrival of SBS World Movies, I think Ten’s management are terrified they’re about to face the embarrassment of a last place finish in overnights. They’ve been getting very close to being toppled in recent times.

1 Like

They’ll just be reporting both. The BBC have been doing that for a while.

I went into a house with a ratings box last week and recorded an interview (an article will be up tomorrow). I think it gives a good insight into how the OzTam box works: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=422371

5 Likes

thank you, i found you podcast very interesting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

and it just goes to show how powerful the people who use the oztam boxes can be. so i guess the moral of the story if you like a show and want it to stay then get a oztam box

1 Like

https://tvblackbox.com.au/page/2019/9/7/exclusive-inside-a-house-with-an-oztam-ratings-box

1 Like

From Mediaweek’s Morning Report this morning, looks as if Metro & Regional will be measured together from January:

OzTAM introduces VOZ: Measurement for all screens and cross platform

OzTAM, Regional TAM and Nielsen is launching a dedicated website in the lead up to debuting Virtual Australia.

(VOZ), the foundation of Australia’s new Total TV reporting standard.

A VOZ campaign, sub-titled Televisionary Measurement, will illustrate how VOZ will bring together broadcast viewing on TV sets and connected devices to provide all-screen, cross-platform planning and reporting for Australia’s television industry.

Initial VOZ data will be introduced to market in Q1 2020.

OzTAM CEO Doug Peiffer said: “VOZ will deliver step change in the way Australian television is measured and evaluated, providing a true national view of how TV content is consumed across all screens over time, and showing the incremental reach that broadcast video on demand (BVOD) delivers.

“It’s been an enormous project to bring the different measurement systems for TV and BVOD together to capture the cross-screen universe, where on average Australian households have 1.8 TV sets and a total of 6.8 screens.=

“Accordingly, OzTAM, Regional TAM and Nielsen have undertaken a rigorous three-year development, testing and rollout program to bring VOZ to market.

“The positive industry feedback on VOZ is gratifying, and we’re excited to launch a trade marketing campaign ahead of initial VOZ data being released next year.”

Regional TAM chairman Dave Walker added: “The VOZ Total TV reporting standard is a milestone for Australian television.

“Bringing Regional TAM and OzTAM data together will make it easier than ever before to plan, post-analyse and allocate investment nationally and by market.

“VOZ will clarify Australia’s Total TV picture, greatly benefitting advertisers who wish to target viewers in regional Australia and country-wide.

“Regional TAM broadcasters are proud to be part of this important initiative.”

Nielsen’s head of TV Audience Measurement, David Ellem , commented: “Together with OzTAM and Regional TAM, Nielsen is proud to support the launch of VOZ.

“This innovation means that the industry will soon have independent, standardised and transparent metrics for reporting Total TV, and de-duplicated audience reach and frequency metrics for planning and evaluating Total TV audiences.”

2 Likes

As I understand it, this is an add on to the present reporting system. Much as there used to only be overnight ratings reported, then consolidated was added and some years later VOD (10play 7plus iview, 9now,etc), this will be another set of numbers.

It will combine consolidated viewing with VOD viewing in a standard way and to make it complete consolidated regional ratings will be used to estimate how many are watching across the country via broadcast TV and other means.

Currently this information is already reported by networks but in a non standard way and it requires the network publicists to gather info from several sources. This will give them software that will allow them to promote total viewers across Australia for programs to advertisers. The importance of this, and how advertisers receive it, will have to wait to be seen.

The system at the moment needs to be improved improved and this is the latest to try to overcome some of the current inequities.

For example VOD viewing at the moment has no information on demographics; it is just that one ‘stream’ is watching a program. In addition the current system does not know how many viewers the might be for each stream.

Another problem is that networks currently are allowed bu OzTAM to add together the 5-city metro overnights + consolidated + VOD viewing to claim a total rating, however, the VOD numbers are really a national number (networks “overruled” OzTAM in the first weeks after the into of VOD ratings to allow their claims).

4 Likes

It’s going to make for some interesting results - there’s quite often some difference between top ranking shows between regional/metro (particularly at the bottom end of the top 20)

Not to mention some of the regional markets are larger then the smaller cap markets

1 Like

So will now be regional and metro combined? How will reporting go?will it be a national number rather then just metro?

Based on what has been suggested (and if I’m reading it right), it’ll be an additional set of figures:

• Metro (via OzTAM)
  • Regional (via RegionalTAM)
  • Combined Metro+Regional (via VOZ)

well from re reading it i think its taking oztam and regional tam and combining the too together