AM To FM Conversions

This is one of the many reasons why 107.7 is wrong for the 2GN conversion. Was potential interference from Sky Sports Radio Yass mentioned in the exploatory document?

Not a word.

Although there is this:

The main coverage loss within the Goulburn RA1 licence area is predicted to occur along the western boundary of Goulburn RA1, an area adjacent to the Canberra RA1 licence area. The affected area stretches from Bungendore, through Gundaroo and Gunning, to the community of Dalton.

However, many of these people are predicted to receive adequate coverage from Canberra commercial radio broadcasting services (2CC, 2CA, 1CBR and 2ROC). Not all of the western area is within an overlap with Canberra RA1, so some of this would be fortuitous coverage and may not be protected.

1 Like

Good pickup. That’s a poor oversight by ACMA I would have thought.

1 Like

A Nautel plot of Sky Sports Radio Yass (107.9) together with the proposed coverage of 107.7 would be of assistance. There would be significant areas of overlap and hence mutual interference within Goulburn RA1- good ammunition for a submission.

A plot of the 2LVR Forbes service on 97.9 may also be needed. I have received 2LVR quite well from the Sheck Webster Lookout near Bigga, which is at the NW edge of Goulburn RA1. A power increase and/or site change for 2GN/t Crookwell (106.1) may be required to better cover the NW flank.

Adjacent channel interference from/to i98 should be minimal within Goulburn RA1 and Wollongong RA1.

3 Likes

I will have a look at this tomorrow, and posted it up.

1 Like

The draft Five-Year Spectrum Outlook for 2019-23 has been released yesterday, which you can read here: https://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/-/media/DE72A686EF4F4D639C2A34A45719877F.ashx

In relation to the AM-FM conversion:

• Scottsdale (7SD) will be finalised in Q1 2019-20 (ie. July-September)
  • Murray Bridge (5MU), Spencer Gulf North (5CS-AU), Port Lincoln (5CC), Taree (2RE) & Grafton (2GF) is set to be consulted within this quarter (Q4 2018-19; ie. April-June), and finalised in the next quarter (Q1 2019-20).

No mention of Nowra or Lithgow in the above. Elsewhere in the document, Horsham (3WM), Hamilton (3HA), Colac (3CS) & Swan Hill (3SH) have been added to the markets considering converting their AM stations to FM.

2 Likes

2GF have basically already converted to 103.9; it would just be a matter of approving different technical specifications. The ACMA neglected to list this ‘Maclean’ translator for several years!

2RE will probably end up somewhere down the low end as there’s plenty of room down there on the MNC. 89.9 would be my pick.

1 Like

Only issue with 103.9 is potential interference with 2CHY in Coffs if they up the power to the full 20kW ERP

1 Like

Just out of interest, how good (or otherwise) is 2GF’s 1206AM signal in/around the Coffs Harbour region? Or perhaps more importantly, FM New oh wait, it’s apparently FM 104.7 again?

When I was up there last June, 2GF on AM was well received there.
FM 104.7 can also be received, but its signal is not really widespread, especially when compared to Hit/MMM from Mt Yarrahapinni (near Macksville), which comes into Coffs like a local.

@Mechsta might know more and confirm my findings. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Accurate.

2 Likes

2CHY is operating on a legacy frequency, inconsistent with the channel spacing used in the region, so it’s possible the ACMA might ask them to move in order to accomodate a higher powered 2GF.

As it stands, 2GF 103.9 and 2CHY 104.1 are about equal strength around Halfway Creek, which is likely near the border of the Coffs and Grafton commercial radio licence areas. I’m not sure if the 2CHY licence area goes up that far (it may only go to about Woolgoolga).

2 Likes

Its licence area (Coffs Harbour RA2) goes as far north as Arrawarra.

3 Likes

FM1047 (no point I believe).

As for 2RE, I wonder if the TCBL goes and 2RE is given 106.5?

1 Like

Rhema will be about as amenable as the TAB regarding frequency reassignments even if they do have a TCBL.

After a bit of thinking & research, I would also suggest 91.1 & 91.9 as other possible frequencies for the proposed 2RE converted FM service.

EDIT: Scratch the 91.9 idea, as I’ve just realised it’s been reserved for an ABC service in Port Stephens, which is yet to go to air.

1 Like

Common sense would dictate that you avoid moving existing services first. The ACMA have to vary the LAPs anyway to accommodate the converted licences so it would be trivial to make variations to proposed services. This has actually been done with the proposed ABC service at Genoa (re. the 2XL conversion).

On Taree, I reckon the proposed Rebel service for Cabbage Tree Mountain (Forster) should move to 93.9 MHz (currently 94.1 MHz) and Rebel Barrington Tops to 92.1 MHz (from 93.7).

Looks like 900 7AD switch off is imminent. When I went to lunch at 11:40ish they were playing Tasmania Talks and since about 12 I reckon they have been playing a constant audio loop saying the time to switch is now to FM, same music, same announcers just a new frequency etc…

And also for a 2WAY repeater at Laurieton

Is that really necessary? 2MC have a repeater down there on 90.3 but coverage on 100.7 is very adequate. Hit do not have a repeater on air in Laurieton (Camden Haven), nor is there one proposed in the Kempsey LAP.

A bit of nitpicky housekeeping with this thread- I think it should be renamed ‘AM to FM Conversions In Solus Markets’. What do the mods think?

1 Like