AM To FM Conversions

Very nice! Hopefully RDS implemented on both too :+1:

1 Like

Good to know! Any idea when?

Fantastic @Paul_Covo_Covington

Elenos website if anyone cares for some bedtime reading:

Most exciting news of all @Paul_Covo_Covington . Will the new array allow for the full ERP of 20kW DA?

2 Likes

Not sure why Uncle Bill goes for Elenos, I think it’s because they’re relatively cheap.
If something goes wrong that one of the SRN techs can’t fix during the warranty period, the guy he buys them off, generally can’t either & the other (main) Australian Elenos distributor generally won’t, because they weren’t bought from them.
They’d be better off getting BE (Broadcast Electronics) transmitters which is now owned by Elenos though, the BE’s are better quality I think, & are my second choice behind Nautel transmitters for up to 2.5kW.
Over 2.5kW there’s no way I’d use a single rack mount transmitter (like Elenos & BE), because they are generally multi-layered PCB’s inside & generally something will go wrong on 1 card that can’t be repaired, as the component is not accessible, so it’s buy an new transmitter, or pay almost as much & send the transmitter back to the Italian factory to have the PCB’s replaced.

The Nautel’s might be physically larger & not rack mount above 2.5kW, but everything can be easily replaced on site if needed, often (depending on exactly what) while the transmitter is still on air.

I know there’s a few BE’s in the AM network, not sure about the FM network, so don’t know why they don’t stick to BE’s.

If I was network engineer at SRN, not sure how I’d do it, but would be talking Bill into spending a little more money on the outlay to fill the Network with Nautel transmitters, higher reliability, after sales support that will blow Elenos & even BE away if you ever need them, Nautel parts are easier to get & replace if needed being modular, whereas depending on what goes faulty on some Elenos’s it could be cheaper to replace the entire transmitter as repair would be uneconomical or can’t be repaired at all.

The Elenos transmitters are good for community stations, who don’t have a lot of money to purchase new in the first place. They’re a half decent transmitter I guess, like most of the Italian made ones, but if I was spending my personal money buying a Transmitter, or even recommending one for a community station who could afford spending a bit more, it wouldn’t be an Elenos, I wouldn’t consider at all for a commercial station.

My first choice for AM/FM would be Nautel (I’m a bit biased here seeing I maintain about 10 of them & I’m a Nautel Factory trained & certified tech), my second choice for AM/FM would be Broadcast Electronics, equal second option for FM only would be Rohde & Schwarz, I’m well versed in maintaining them as that’s what all DTV transmitters are, ABC/SBS FM’s are using R&S now in some places too.

5 Likes

Parallel import? @RFBurns

1 Like

This doc had an interesting bit in it, I don’t think this was announced, but looks like 5SE will get converted to FM:

“The ERP increase and other specification changes to the 8SAT Padthaway transmitter on the current frequency should not limit spectrum availability for current or future AM–FM conversions. This is because planning AM–FM conversions in the adjacent markets of Spencer Gulf North and Riverland has been completed, and an agreement with the licensee for frequencies for the Mt Gambier AM–FM conversion has been reached, including an infill transmitter at Naracoorte.”

4 Likes

2RE Taree 88.9 is now on air.

Not sure if this is a test broadcast or not, it probably still is, as there was no mention of 88.9, it was carrying the usual 1557 AM programming.

My car radio didn’t detect RDS and I can’t get good enough reception at home to tell if there is a stereo pilot or sound.

100.3 Forster still on air at the moment too.

1 Like

Amazing that 2RE is about to convert to FM, which was only consulted on last year, but yet we’re STILL waiting for 2GN to convert to FM, even after the latest Goulburn LAP Variation had been finalised a few months ago.

In fact, looking at ACMA’s Register of Radiocommunications Licences (RRL), this new licence detail for 2GN that recently came into effect on 25th November doesn’t mention anything about its upcoming FM licence. The only mention of the FM licence is on its older licence detail that will expire on 10th February 2022, and has the status of being ‘Not Granted’. Mind you, the upcoming FM conversion of the local RN service in Goulburn is yet to show up on ACMA’s RRL.

4 Likes

That’s how Bill does things. Perhaps the statutory classified in the local newspaper and plough on.

Remember the Eagles Nest Close debacle?

2 Likes

That is to be retained as a spectrum hogging, protectionist initiative?

1 Like

That was more to do with installing a tower without council permission or residential consultation in a residential area.

2RE would be using the same TX site at Mt Gangat west of Taree.

2 Likes

88.9 2RE can be heard at the headlands in Sawtell but it does fight with 88.9 Coraki at times.

3 Likes

Less chance of hearing Braidwood FM via DX now unfortunately,

2 Likes

I think I should be able to null 2RE out ok here. It’s not particularly strong where I am.

1 Like

Last I came through the Southern Highlands, 88.9 was all Braidwood. Have 2RSR decreased power? Didn’t check in Shitney to confirm.

1 Like

Looks like any regional AM (not just solus markets) will be able to convert to FM:

https://www.acma.gov.au/consultations/2021-12/planning-principles-am-fm-conversions-regional-licence-areas-consultation-492021

5 Likes

So yet again a public resource is squandered to protect private interests - rather then considering using valuable spectrum to increase the number of voices in regional areas, we end up limiting them… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I doubt many regional areas can support additional commercial radio services, it’s a declining medium where revenues aren’t what they were.

This move should help existing broadcasters and thus better protect local content.

4 Likes

Good news for a lot of heritage AM stations like 4BU, 4RO/4CC and the like. I’m also thinking of markets like Toowoomba with 3x AM and 1x FM commercial stations, it will be most welcome.

They’ve surely got to tackle the metro AMs next. I know people will say there’s not room on the FM band but they need to look at a re-stack and the sub-metro community stations.

3 Likes

This is where they should promote DAB more.

There is little to be gained from having the likes of talk and racing on FM.

4 Likes