AFL Coverage

Except 2008 for Victoria v The Dream Team, even this is still not against another state.

1 Like

AFL Nation/SEN, 3AW, ABC and Triple M will broadcast Friday’s State of Origin bushfire relief match from Marvel Stadium.

1 Like

However I felt Rex Hunt was off his best last night. He forgot some of the player’s names, pronounced a couple of names wrong, and talked about something else when he should have been calling the action.

1 Like

Nah, that sounds like the old Rex Hunt!

1 Like

AFL Nation schedule for week 3 of Marsh Community Series

1 Like

Is Magic1278 or Magic Perth broadcasting any AFL?

1 Like

They never have (well, not in this incarnation).

In the MSR days, 2UE and 4BH took AFL from Crocmedia; 1278 and Perth took NRL

1 Like

Former St Kilda and Fremantle coach Ross Lyon has joined Triple M commentary team for 2020 and will provide special comments throughout its coverage this season.
Lyon will make his Triple M debut at the Hawthorn v Brisbane game on the Sunday of Round 1, alongside Wayne Carey, Nathan Brown, Mark Howard, Jay Clark, Michael Roberts and Ash Chua.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/ross-lyon-ready-to-embrace-new-radio-challenge/news-story/52784ae9f0845c45fb6e528ce53a9b7f

Herald Sun also reports that former Hawthorn and Melbourne star Jordan Lewis will become a commentator on SEN this year, after retiring from playing AFL in 2019.

1 Like

KEVIN BARTLETT JOINS 3AW FOOTBALL

3AW announced today that Kevin Bartlett is coming back to the 3AW Football commentary team for the 2020 AFL season.

Widely regarded as one of the game’s most shrewd and insightful pundits, Bartlett will call for 3AW every Sunday, as well as doing occasional Saturday twilight fixtures.

Affectionately known as “Hungry”, Bartlett donned the yellow and black for Richmond 403 times between 1965 and 1983, ranking him third on the game’s all-time playing list.

After 18 years with the Tigers, in which he kicked 778 goals, he went on to coach the club for four years from 1988.

He also parlayed his playing and coaching days into a highly successful career as one of the AFL’s foremost analysts.

Bartlett’s first match in the 3AW commentary box will be the Hawthorn v Brisbane clash this Sunday, March 22, at the MCG.

It will mark a homecoming to the station – Bartlett previously called for 3AW in the 1990s.

Kevin Bartlett said: “I’m thrilled to be back on 3AW as I have great memories of calling the footy, hosting the Saturday sports show and working on the breakfast program. 2020 is going to be a massive year of football, and for me 3AW Football is the place to be.”

Calling alongside Bartlett will be Matt Granland , Matthew Richardson , Tony Shaw and Mick Warner .

4 Likes

AFL Nation coverage for round 1 of 2020 season. Selected matches will be broadcast on 2UE in Sydney, and 4BH in Brisbane during the season, as indicated below.

1 Like

The show will be called The Twilight Zone and debut tomorrow (March 21) after the Essendon-Fremantle match.

1 Like

I think Tony Armstrong will call AFL matches mainly involving the Crows and the Power, with Joel Peterson back in his home state of Victoria.

1 Like

I blieve he did some matches in a play-by-play commentating role last year for MMM. Good signing for ABC for AFL matches mainly involving the Crows and the Power.

3 Likes

From what I heard of him on Triple M last year, thought he was a decent commentator. Good to see him taking on a bigger role at the ABC

2 Likes

This is huge. Triple M’s coverage of AFL match of the week will be rebroadcast by SiriusXM across the US and Canada, starting overnight with its call of the 2018 grand final between West Coast and Collingwood. Plus Eddie McGuire will host a weekly show Aussie Football Rules America with Eddie McGuire for Sirius listeners, which also debuted overnight and can be heard at 6pm to 7pm US eastern time on Thursdays (8am to 9am AEST on Fridays).

5 Likes

With the resumption of 2020 AFL season this Thursday night, post-game show Footy Nightline also returns to 3AW this week, with Tony Leonard hosting on Thursday nights and Rex Hunt on Friday and Saturday nights.

1 Like

The AFL has dropped any mention of radio from the broadcast guide on its website, so it’s hard to tell which stations will cover each match during the home and away season this year.
Anyway, here is the broadcast schedule of Triple M and 3AW for Round 2. Note that GWS v North Melbourne and Sydney v Essendon will be broadcast on Triple M DAB+ in Sydney due to NRL coverage on FM.

Triple M’s coverage of Collingwood-Richmond game will be replayed on SiriusXM at 7pm US EDT on Thursday (9am AEST on Friday). Saturday’s match between Carlton and Melbourne will be broadcast on SiriusXM next Thursday night in the US and Canada.

2 Likes

I’d say that ABC and SEN will cover the GWS v North Melbourne match…

1 Like

ABC Radio is calling tonight’s Collingwood-Richmond match from a corporate box at the MCG.

This afternoon AFL Nation revealed its coverage for Round 2 in a new format. Instead of a simple list on a jpeg, it’s now done as a clip.

2 Likes

Someone must have too much spare time. Way less user friendly.
Even better, they could use text so that those with accessibility requirements can read it - it’s not like the vision impaired would turn to radio for content…

2 Likes