AFL Coverage

Dermie is back on SEN with Huddo Friday night. Getting 2012 flashbacks.

4 Likes

AFL Nation coverage for Round 6 (yep, Dermie is working with Huddo on Friday)

Triple M coverage for Round 6

AFL Nation coverage for Round 7

Triple M coverage for Round 7

1 Like

Interesting to see SEN Track Sunraysia and Latrobe Valley again taking one game. St Kilda v Hawthorn on Saturday.

1 Like

AFL Nation coverage for Round 8 - interesting that not all affiliated stations in WA are broadcasting Hawthorn v West Coast on Sunday.

Triple M coverage for Round 8

AFL Nation coverage for Round 9

Triple M coverage for Round 9

3 Likes

Triple M streaming coverage not blacked out tonight on any station. Flicked through a few Triple M stations on RadioApp and LiSTNR and all are streaming.

What has changed?

1 Like

Don’t know why it’s happened mid-season but according to the link above your post, it seems like Triple M now has the ability to stream their AFL coverage on their streams rather than having to send people to the AFL website/app

5 Likes

Perhaps a variation of SCA’s existing broadcast deal with the AFL? If that is true, the other rights holders like Nine Radio and the ABC will be seething.

1 Like

SEN has been doing this for a few years though on the proviso you sign up to their app. But this is different for Triple M, available freely on all streaming sources; website, smart speakers, RadioApp, LiSTNR etc.

1 Like

It’s a weird one because SCA has had streaming rights since the current agreement began in November 2016 - it’s just it hasn’t been implemented until now for some reason

3 Likes

I hate this blacked out rule. I don’t use a radio anymore. Instead I use a Google home mini which I request to play the different radio stations HOWEVER I’m never able to listen to the footy!

2 Likes

Yeah I agree. The Radio broadcasters purchase these rights for millions of dollars so they should be able to broadcast it on all their usual platforms.

That’s part of the lucrative nature of sports rights. You buy them to complement your stations programming. Not to assemble a commentary team that then can only be heard via the AFL’s own app.

I hope this is a sign of things to come like other sports and streaming blackouts become a thing of the past in the AFL.

4 Likes

Tom Wilson has just started work at Seven News Adelaide after nine years at Fox Sports News in Sydney, as well as calling some AFL matches for ABC Radio. I wonder if he will get another chance to commentate footy given ABC Adelaide already has Aaron Bryans and Neil Cross as main callers.

1 Like

AFL Nation coverage for Round 10

Also see:

Triple M coverage for Round 10 - Triple M Melbourne will have two teams covering the Saturday afternoon matches, one especially for Gold Coast listeners.

AFL Nation coverage for Round 11

Triple M coverage for Round 11

Triple M Sydney will have a team calling Gold Coast v Hawthorn at the SCG for listeners on Gold FM Gold Coast.

Caroline Wilson returns to 3AW’s AFL coverage tomorrow (May 29) for the pre-game show before Collingwood and Geelong. Wilson had completed 14 days of hotel quarantine in Sydney, after travelling overseas to visit her daughter.

2 Likes

Triple M coverage for Round 12

AFL Nation coverage for Round 12

Triple M coverage for Round 13

AFL Nation coverage for Round 13

AFL Nation coverage for Round 14

Triple M coverage for Round 14

Triple M coverage for Round 15

AFL Nation coverage for Round 15

Triple M coverage for Round 16

1 Like

AFL nation are a bit out of date. Still haven’t published this weeks broadcast schedule, and haven’t changed their description since at least 2017, if not earlier

3 Likes

Triple M coverage for Round 17

AFL Nation coverage for Round 17

1 Like

AFL Nation coverage for Round 18 (note the fixture has been changed due to Melbourne’s 5-day COVID lockdown)

Triple M coverage for Round 18

Former Western Bulldogs and Fremantle player Brad Wira reveaed on ABC Radio tonight (after Geelong beat Fremantle by 69 points) that he is hanging up his headphones to spend more time with his family. He had been providing special comments for the ABC’s AFL coverage for the past 11 years.

UPDATE 18/7: Tim Lane did not commentate this weekend’s matches for 3AW after he went into isolation, for he was at the MCG the previous Saturday calling Carlton v Geelong for the station. The media centre is located in the MCC Members Reserve which was deemed an exposure site.

1 Like

Triple M coverage for Round 19

AFL Nation coverage for Round 19

Alister Nicholson is taking a couple of weeks off from ABC’s AFL coverage to call hockey for Seven’s Tokyo Olympics broadcast. Corbin Middlemas and Kelli Underwood called Port Adelaide v Collingwood on Friday night, and Matt Clinch is hosting The Lead on Saturday afternoons this week and next week.

Triple M coverage for Round 20

AFL Nation coverage for Round 20

1 Like

Also noted Jack Heverin is commentating on Triple M Saturday night. Is that a first for him?

(Previously with SEN full time as a commentator and host until he left earlier this year.)

1 Like

Interesting that Jack is popping up at Triple M. He’s been used intermittently by 6PR and 3AW this year as well.

1 Like