ACE Radio (3MP)

Tony Moclair cant do nights on 1377 am since he currently does overnights on 3AW

Fully aware of that, my post is pure thought bubble.

1 Like

Perhaps ACE could rebuild 3MP as a Mornington Peninsula radio station with studios and sales staff in Frankston, just as it was originally. With a music format similar to ACE’s heritage AM network, but with no 3AW programming obviously 3MP can have music all day long.

No thanks. Music please. :smiley:

1 Like

the last time someone tried talkback on 1377 it didn’t go well, and I’m not sure ACE has money to burn on building such a format?

2 Likes

Fully aware of the disaster of MTR. My angle of where I am coming from is that ACE currently take 3AW Mornings, Croc Media Sports Day, Denis Walter and AW overnights. They have as little as 5 hours a day of music across their am stations. Do not discount what I am referring to here and think more along the line of what Grants do in Tasmania, Tasmania talks but in an all day format.
There is one thing for sure the ipod inspired 1377 Classic Rock won’t be coming back nor will a time and temp AM music format.

1 Like

The only real reason Ace takes talkback content from Nine/Crocmedia is surely because it’s cheaper than announcers + music royalties? (I obviously can’t confirm that, @luifromtheradio may be able to shed some insight on that if you want it).

I can’t see them paying for their own talkback programs when it’s already done for them (and at a cheaper price).

If anything they might network some music programs from 3MP sometime in the future. That would be cheaper for them since they would already have to produce music programming for 3MP 24/7 - Their recent instatement of a network overnight music program + the return of music programming 8pm-Midnight on 3GV/3YB would suggest this to me. Plus they also ditched Tom Elliott for music a while back too.

2 Likes

Not sure. I don’t know Sean, but I do know Kate and she is extremely easy to get along with. I think she was friends with her cohost pre-radio. Kate puts in a lot of work for content and ideas for the show too, she might only be “new” to radio but she works her guts out and IMO delivers great content outside of The Morning Rush as well.

2 Likes

Would be amazing to have another talk station in Melbourne. But it’s just so hard to get any cut through when 3AW dominates that market so much. It’s very difficult to get anyone to even sample a new station.

I agree. Why take on the market leader?

Not unless it becomes more like what 2SM is… that is, a feeder station for the regional network (making it rather useless for the immediate Melbourne market where greater profits can be made).

1 Like

Beat me to it - they could even just take it straight from here if they wanted to.

And gain them more exposure in Melbourne, if ACE wish to sink a bit more effort into 1377 further down the line.

Yep, probably the same to how Capital have done it with Snow Digital. Edge FM could make an appearance to, considering it does have a noticeably different playlist.

1 Like

Where did you get that new logo?

It was a quote of @Rob_Melb_AU, it’s not an actual logo - just a mock of what it might look like.

1 Like

Does Croc wanna sell 1377?

1 Like

They already have.

1 Like

Oh I thought it was just an offer.

Well, ACE isn’t a great network, but hopefully it’ll get better use than a SEN+ station. I feel like talk is the way to go for an AM station, I don’t see music ever going anywhere, but if they just import content from their network already, I guess it doesn’t matter.

Although I wonder if they’ll think about talk and then pipe it around the state instead of taking 3AW.

1 Like

I just hope Capital/Grants buy Ace sometime soon and inherit 3MP.

Then once SEN1170 flops (as we can all safely say it will), then Grants could also buy that and resurrect 2CH or relaunch with a better name.

2 Likes

I think relaunching with a better name rather than resurrecting 2CH (which let’s be honest, doesn’t have that much brand equity these days) would be the most ideal of those two scenarios.

But to bring things back on topic, it’ll be interesting to see what happens with an ACE-owned 3MP. The legacy callsign will probably be resurrected, either way the logo seems almost guaranteed to be in the standard ACE Radio style but other than that?

2 Likes

spotted between Frankston and Karingal this morning; White car, 3MP logo (3MP inside a circle, with "1377 and DAB+ types below). The words “easy music” written across the car. I think I saw a website too.

Bit of a clue?

9 Likes

Good spotting. From whois:

9 Likes