ABC Television 2021

no sign of The Sound either. hopefully back again next year.

1 Like

I think this is the best of the upfronts from all networks. Looking forward to kitty flanigans new series.

5 Likes

Yes The Sound is quite decent, such a shame its existing timeslot isn’t doing it any favours.

Two seasons airing on Tuesdays at 8pm would’ve been a better time for it. Not sure what ABC is going to fill that timeslot with with Foreign Correspondent moving to Thursdays.

Overall a decent upfront that is miles above the commercial networks combined.

3 Likes

While I understand why it’s being done (ABC TV aren’t commissioning programs to air after 9:30pm anymore due to budget cuts), have a feeling separating Q&A from the rest of the Monday night current affairs line-up might end-up backfiring.

Good to see ABC bringing back the original cast. A 2014 reboot was a flop in ratings

2 Likes

I think you might be right, which is why it’s the right move.

Insiders next please.

1 Like

Disappointing line-up, particularly in the comedy area. Hardly any new ideas. Hard Quiz needs to go and it’s embarrassing they’re recommissioned Spick and Specks. It’s had its time and just take a bloody risk with some new talent.

I hope the ABC reflects on the success of Aunty Donna on Netflix, which could have easily been an ABC show, and does much, much better next year.

1 Like

I hope that’s working logo, it’s bloody ugly and doesn’t fit in with any of their branding or logos.

2 Likes

The name is appalling. Why is the TV element needed anyway? Just call it ABC Plus or ABC2 (like the old days) and leave it at that.

4 Likes

Hopefully the channel can be branded as such on these specific nights: ie the watermark: ABC Comedy, ABC Arts, etc.

The commercial networks would kill to have those highly successful, popular formats as part of their schedules. Aunty Donna is niche, cringeworthy, unfunny garbage. The production slate announced is far more adventurous and nowhere near as safe and predictable as the retread, ho hum dribble being commissioned by commercial free to air channels.

6 Likes

Good, they can pay for it.

1 Like

Hence the show is on Netflix.

Oh.

1 Like
3 Likes

If this was announced a couple of days ago, you could be forgiven for thinking it was an April Fool’s Day joke!

Certainly a rather interesting concept (which I could see a few members of this forum signing up for), but I wonder what would the winners of a quiz show about ABC News & Current Affairs receive as their prize? The opportunity to read an ABC News Update? :nerd_face:

1 Like

A brass mug like Hard Quiz?

The casting call went out on the 1st, but after midday…

https://twitter.com/ABCTV/status/1377463246937075713?s=19

2 Likes