ABC Television 2017

It’s the way it’s done in most countries too.

image image image image image

image image image image

image image

image image image image

image image image image image image image imageimage image image

1 Like

And they tell me nothing about the brands.

How is BBC One different to BBC Four? Rai 1 to Rai 3? What can I expect when I watch.

1 Like

Well, don’t get me started on that. What does ABC Me mean exactly?

I’m not suggesting they go back to numbers only anyway.
I think they should be more like the ABC iview logo.

Use the big ABC lissajous logo along with the descriptions NEWS, COMEDY, KIDS, ME, etc

But at the same time BBC’s youth-based channels have different branding and their own identity.

image image image

To me, nothing, but according to to the ABC:

ABC ME says the new-look channel will help show (but never tell) Australian kids where they fit in the world today.

4 Likes

Although, the BBC logo is consistent across all the brands.

Go tell that to TV Forum. The BBC is worse than the ABC at branding. The logos are the only nice thing.

I actually agree with you though. The ABC’s logos are messy and need to be brought into line with each other.

The original design concept around BBC One and Two in the very late 90s was for presentation elements toof be as bland as possible, and for the background (such as footage of the show etc) and the idents to “colour” the channel. It worked quite nicely and showed that uniform logos can work well as long as the accompanying presentation is distinctive.

I don’t see what’s so inconsistent with the ABC logo as seen in the current branding for the various channels.

Of course until recently, I could understand the complaints because there was a fairly consistent logo style for 1, 2, HD and iView in 2008:

But then ABC3 came along in 2009 and since the above logo style looked “too serious” to be used for cheery children’s programing, we got this:
ABC32009

Around the same time, the children’s programing block/channel on ABC2 became “ABC For Kids on 2” (using the same “ABC For Kids” branding that the programing block on the main channel had for a while, but with an “on 2” element to reinforce the fact it was on ABC2) as programing for older kids moved to ABC3:
ABCforKidson2logo

July 2010 and the launch of ABC News 24:
ABCNews24Logo

2011 and new logos for ABC1 & ABC2 - kind of a tie-in with the 2010 ABC News 24 logo but not really:
ABC12011 ABC22011

May 2011 and ABC 4 Kids relaunched with an ABC3-style logo around the same time that children’s programing started to move away from the main channel:
ABC4Kids2011

Which leads us to the current ABC branding for their TV properties. Obviously it’s been a very long and stilted process so here’s a quick update for you: The main channel relaunched in July 2014, ABC 4 Kids became ABC KIDS in March 2015, ABC3 became ABC ME in September 2016, ABC News 24 became ABC NEWS in April while ABC2 became ABC COMEDY last week.

After all that, I think we’ve now got something vaguely resembling a streamlined brand for the TV channels (+ iView and capital city local radio for good measure) with these logos:

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Would I say the ABC’s current branding is perfect? No. Would I say there’s a level of consistency with the use of the logo? Yes, with the exception of ABC KIDS which probably should just drop the “ABC” text and just have the lissajous next to the word “KIDS” under the “Apple, Bee, Carrot” motif.

1 Like