ABC operations

Today Kitchen Cabinet seems to be the daily target. I think the relatively low number of complaints upheld says a lot about those who complain.

2 Likes

The fact the ABC gets strongly criticised by the extreme left and extreme right is a strong endorsement of the fact that they are pretty good at being centrist for the most part (with occasional exceptions).

3 Likes

Its only the top 20% of commercial staffers that would earn more than the ABC pays - the Commercial Broadcasting award is a stripped award which replaced an old award that didn’t even receive CPI increases for a lot of years. The conditions are modern but the pay rates are not.

For most commercial radio and a lot of commercial TV staff, the ABC would pay better if it was possible for them to actually get a job there.

1 Like

Fairness and balance should not mean the same thing as “being centrist”.

2 Likes

ABC Canberra Open House

Join us for an unforgettable look into Australia’s most iconic broadcasting institution at ABC Canberra’s Open House.

There is something for the whole family to enjoy when visiting our outside activations and activities on the day. Watch the ABC Radio Canberra team as they broadcast live, peep through your favourite Play School window or meet an ABC personality or two!

You can also experience the behind-the-scenes action with exclusive studio tours, where you’ll witness firsthand how your favourite TV and radio programs come to life.

Date: Saturday 26 August
Time: 8.30AM - 3PM
Location: Cnr Northbourne and Wakefield Avenues, Dickson, ACT 2602

1 Like

ABC International sees audience growth across all platforms in 2023

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s International Services division has delivered strong audience growth across its television, radio and digital services in 2023 as the public broadcaster accelerates investments in Indo-Pacific content, transmission and media development activities.

In the latest audience figures compiled for the ABC’s 2023 Annual Report, the ABC’s international television network ABC Australia increased its monthly viewers by 8% year-over-year (YOY) from 3.62 million to 3.91 million and ABC Radio Australia also increased its YOY monthly listeners by 12% from 287,300 to 321,225.

ABC Pacific, a digital offering for Pacific audiences launched in 2022, also witnessed significant audience growth. ABC Pacific Facebook reached a weekly average of 1.3 million users over the past 12 months and its followers have increased by 9% YOY in the latest data, currently sitting at 405,000.

The results come as ABC International Services rapidly scales up production of content relevant to international audiences under new dedicated funding from the Federal Government announced in the October 2022 and May 2023 Budgets.

Recent initiatives include a new weekly news television program The Pacific, special international editions of popular ABCTV programs Gardening Australia, Landline and Back Roads and the tripling of Pacific-focused sport, music and cultural programming on ABC Radio Australia.

ABC Radio Australia will also be expanding its FM transmission footprint with plans to cover all Pacific Island Forum nations within the next two years while ABC Australia will begin transmission of separate Asia and Pacific streams later this year to better serve regional audiences across diverse time zones.

Managing Director David Anderson said: “As one of the region’s longest-serving and most trusted broadcasters, the ABC is investing additional funding from the Federal Government to engage audiences across the Indo-Pacific in a meaningful way, which is resulting in the strong audience growth we are witnessing across all platforms. It’s a fantastic achievement for the ABC at a time when Australian and international audiences have more options available than ever before.”

ABC International Services Head Claire M. Gorman said: “This latest data is evidence that our international investments are starting to deliver concrete results. As the Government’s partner in fulfilling the Indo-Pacific Broadcasting Strategy, the ABC is uniquely placed to deliver excellent outcomes for international audiences who are increasingly coming to the ABC for trusted, informative and inspiring content.”

1 Like

EDIT: press release from Communications Minister Michelle Rowland
https://minister.infrastructure.gov.au/rowland/media-release/statement-abc-chair

1 Like

Statement from ABC Chair Ita Buttrose, AC OBE

I have enjoyed my time at the ABC immensely and am honoured to have chaired such a great Australian institution for five years.

There have been many memories, some challenges, and I have relished the opportunity to play a role in the ABC’s history. Our 90th celebrations last year remain a high point for me but there are many moments I will always remember. Among those are the many interactions with both ABC staff and our audiences across the country.

I would like to thank Minister Rowland for her kind words and the former Prime Minister Scott Morrison for appointing me in 2019.

There is still work to be done between now and March next year. Until then, it is business as usual.

1 Like

ABC Board extends Managing Director’s term

Following the announcement that ABC Chair Ita Buttrose will not seek a second term and to end speculation about the tenure of ABC Managing Director David Anderson, the ABC Board is pleased to confirm that David Anderson has been reappointed for a further five years effective 1 July 2023.

1 Like

Applications now open for the ABC’s Trailblazers Program

NSW youth worker, Carlee Heise is calling on young people aged 18 – 28, who have started social, educational, and economic development projects in their regional communities to apply for the ABC’s 2024 Trailblazers program.

Carlee, a participant of the 2023 Trailblazers program, is the driving force behind YAAS! (Young, Authentic and Social), an arts program for 12–24-year-olds with diverse abilities and identities living on Darkinjung Country on the Central Coast.

“Being selected as a 2023 Trailblazer has opened up so many doors and given me opportunities to experience things I never would have imagined I would be doing in my 20s.

“The support I’ve received from the ABC Trailblazers program has helped me to see what strength I already possess and use this to make change in my region.”

Hayden McDonald is a 2023 Trailblazer living on Kepa Kurl Country, Esperance, WA. Growing up on the spectrum, Hayden felt like sometimes the world wasn’t built for him. So, he combined his twin passions of aviation and promoting real inclusion for people on the spectrum by starting Wings Without Barriers.

This month Hayden will solo circumnavigate regional Australia in a light aircraft stopping to present to schools along the way to show other young people that the sky’s the limit.

“The ABC’s Trailblazers program has helped me grow Wings Without Barriers and grow as a person. It has created huge opportunities for my project and helped me connect with movers and shakers in the aviation sector.”

The Hon. Catherine King MP, Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, and Local Government, passionately champions the involvement of young leaders in regional Australia.

“I’ve seen firsthand how the Trailblazers program empowers young people from rural and regional areas. It provides participants with opportunities to strengthen and inspire both themselves and their communities.

“Alumni from the Trailblazers program have gone on to achieve amazing things. I’d really encourage future leaders in the regions to get involved – you just don’t know where being a Trailblazer will take you, or what you’ll achieve.”

The Director of ABC News, Justin Stevens encourages young rural innovators to get involved in the 2024 Trailblazers program.

“Since Trailblazers launched in 2017, we have seen talented young leaders take part each year who are doing incredible work in their regional communities.

“I continue to be inspired by them and the impact they are having and look forward to seeing what great projects our young leaders are working on this year.

“The ABC is proud to bring back Trailblazers in 2024 and celebrate these talented changemakers on a national stage.”

Applications are now open for the ABC’s 2024 Trailblazers program, where the spotlight shines on the brightest new leaders making a difference in their communities. The program is an opportunity for these young entrepreneurs and changemakers to have their work celebrated nationally and to receive an incredible package of support.

Past Trailblazer projects have addressed a range of issues, such as strengthening Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture, promoting the well-being of young minds, advancing sustainable farming, fostering inclusivity for individuals living with disabilities, boosting employment opportunities, ensuring quality educational access, and helping entrepreneurs in remote areas.

Applications close Wednesday 4 October 2023. To apply, visit https://www.abc.net.au/trailblazers

1 Like
1 Like

Professor Michelle Simmons AO to deliver the 2023 Boyer Lectures

The ABC has announced Professor Michelle Simmons AO FRS FAA FRSN FTSE will deliver the 2023 Boyer Lecture series.

Professor Simmons’ series of four lectures with the overarching theme, The Atomic Revolution, will explore quantum physics, manufacturing at the atomic scale, women in science, and why Australia is perfectly positioned to build the world’s first error corrected quantum computer.

Professor Simmons is the CEO of Silicon Quantum Computing and the Director at the Centre of Excellence for Quantum Computation and Communication Technology at the University of New South Wales. She was the inaugural Editor-in-Chief of Nature Quantum Information.

Professor Simmons is a pioneer in atomic electronics and a global leader in quantum computing. Her achievements include developing the world’s first single-atom transistor, the world’s narrowest conducting wires, the ability to encode and read information on single atoms and the world ‘s first integrated circuit made with atomic precision.

Professor Simmons believes we are in the midst of the “space race of the computing era.” Along with her team, she is aiming to build a quantum computer capable of solving complex problems – that would otherwise take thousands of years – in minutes. Such a computer has the potential to revolutionise drug design, weather forecasting, self-driving vehicles, artificial intelligence and more.

ABC Chair Ita Buttrose said: “I am delighted that Professor Simmons will deliver this year’s Boyer lectures. She is an inspirational scientific leader and will discuss the revolution in atomic-scale manufacturing that is underway here in Australia, and the implications for building an Australian quantum computer.”

Professor Simmons has lived in Australia since 1999. “I came here in the belief that this country would be an idea place undertake audacious, big-picture technological research. I was right,” she said.

About Professor Michelle Simmons

Michelle Simmons was born in London and attended the UK’s Durham University, where she studied for a double degree in Physics and Chemistry (1985–1988). In 1992 she was awarded a PhD in high efficiency solar cells. Following a successful research position at the Cavendish where she was recognised for her work on the “0.7 structure” and for the study of metallic states in very pure transistors, she was awarded a QEII Fellowship in 1999 and moved to Australia, where she became a founding member of the Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Quantum Computer Technology. She has since been awarded two Federation Fellowships and a Laureate Fellowship, the Australian Research Council’s most prestigious awards of this kind.

Professor Simmons is a Fellow of the Royal Society, the American Academy of Arts and Science, the American Association of the Advancement of Science, the UK Institute of Physics, the American Physical Society, the Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering and of the Australian Academy of Science.

She has been awarded the Bakerian Medal from the Royal Society in the UK, the American Foresight Institute Feynman Prize in Nanotechnology, the George R Stibitz Computer and Communications Pioneer Award from the American Computer Museum and was named Asia Pacific 2017 L’Oreal-UNESCO Women in Science Laureate. She was the 2018 Australian of the Year and was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) in 2019.

The Boyer Lecture series, named after former ABC Chairman Sir Richard Boyer, is a series of lectures from a prominent Australian invited to express their thoughts on major social, cultural, scientific or political issues. The first lecture will screen live on ABC TV and ABC iview on Thursday 19 October at 8pm. ABC RN will broadcast the four lectures weekly from Sunday 22 October at 9.30am.

1 Like

ABC signs MOU with Vanuatu Broadcasting and Television Corporation

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) and the Vanuatu Broadcasting and Television Corporation (VBTC) have exchanged a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).

The agreement was signed recently in Port Vila during the Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union’s Pacific Media Partnerships Conference hosted by VBTC and reflects both national broadcasters’ enduring commitment to a collaborative relationship.

Under the MOU, the ABC and VBTC recognise both organisations’ role in supporting independent media and contributing to democracy in the Pacific, as well as their value as leading cultural institutions and shared commitment to serving the public interest through information, education and entertainment.

More broadly, the MOU also seeks to promote mutual understanding and friendship between the people of Australia and Vanuatu and builds on a long and robust relationship between ABC and VBTC.

VBTC CEO Francis Herman said: “VBTC and the ABC are both firmly committed to their public sector media remit to investigate issues of importance to our citizenries and to inform, educate and entertain for the benefit of the people. We are delighted that this MOU formalises our ongoing support for one another. The people to people links we are developing between our organisations will underpin further collaboration to deliver mutual benefits.”

ABC International Services Head Claire M. Gorman said: “The ABC is proud to partner with VBTC. We look forward to deepening our engagement as we continue to invest in our partnership and our people, and we are always looking for shared opportunities to better serve our shared audiences in the region.”

VBTC presently provides FM transmission services to the ABC for the broadcast of ABC Radio Australia in Vanuatu on 103FM and the ABC and VBTC are developing a pilot local journalism project to foster the creation and sharing of ni-Vanuatu stories.

1 Like

Rachel Millar appointed Head of Entertainment

The ABC is pleased to announce the appointment of Rachel Millar as the new Head of Entertainment, overseeing programs such as Hard Quiz, The Weekly with Charlie Pickering, Gruen and the Fresh Blood comedy initiative.

Millar brings to the role exceptional leadership, and a wealth of production experience across programs including Shaun Micallef’s Mad as Hell, Rove, Andrew Denton’s Interview, Spicks and Specks, Kath and Kim and Aunty Donna.

Rachel Millar said: “I fell in love with Entertainment shows growing up watching the ABC, so it’s an honour to be given the opportunity to take on the role of Head of Entertainment. The ABC has been the home of so many groundbreaking entertainment programs over the years, it’s a thrill to be able to continue the tradition of fostering great Australian talent, both in front of and behind the camera.”

Millar has been the acting Head of Entertainment since August 7 and takes up the position with the ABC Content division effective immediately. Joining Head of Scripted Rachel Okine, Head of Factual Susie Jones, Head of Children’s and Family Libbie Doherty and Head of Arts, Music and Events Kath Earle — Millar rounds out an all-female Screen leadership team reporting to Jennifer Collins.

Jennifer Collins, herself a former Head of Entertainment at ABC and now as ABC’s Head of Screen Content, welcomed Rachel’s appointment: “I am thrilled to have Rachel at the helm of our entertainment slate. She is one of the best and most highly respected creative entertainment execs in this country and I can’t wait for her to get her hands on the development slate for our ABC audiences who love their comedy & entertainment”.

Millar has developed and produced comedy and entertainment programming for both the independent production sector and for the ABC.

ABC Chief Content Officer Chris Oliver-Taylor said: “I am delighted that with Rachel’s appointment, the ABC’s Entertainment, Factual, Arts, Music & Events, Children’s and Family and Scripted teams are all led by female leaders. It is a wonderful testament to Jen Collins as Head of Screen and her leadership that we have managed to attract and retain colleagues of the calibre of Susie Jones, Libbie Doherty, Kath Earle, Rachel Okine and now joined by Rachel Millar.”

ABOUT RACHEL MILLAR

Rachel Millar joined the ABC in 2021 as an Executive Producer in Entertainment, and in her time has overseen flagship programs including Gruen, Spicks and Specks, the Melbourne International Comedy Festival, and Question Everything. Prior to that, she was an Executive Producer, Series Producer and Development Producer across Entertainment and Comedy. She has had a hand in producing Shaun Micallef’s Mad as Hell, Rove, Andrew Denton’s Interview, Adam Hills In Gordon St Tonight, Dirty Laundry Live, and Kath and Kim. She also produced comedy web series’ A Message from Malcolm, and the acclaimed Aunty Donna: Glennridge Secondary College.

Freedom of information and media freedom have never been more important — nor more at risk, says DG8, a group of eight international public media organizations

Trusted news and verified information from independent public service media has never been more important, nor more challenging to produce, warned the DG8, a group of eight international public media organizations, at the conclusion of its annual summit.

As an increasing number of countries around the world censor independent media and violate press freedom, DG8 members called on international organizations to protect freedom of information and media freedom, both of which are essential to democratic societies and the protection of human rights. For example, more must be done to protect people’s right to Internet access and to curb Internet censorship.

Leaders from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, the BBC World Service, CBC/Radio-Canada, Deutsche Welle, France Médias Monde, NHK WORLD-JAPAN, SRG SSR, and the United States Agency for Global Media met on October 4 and 5 in Montréal, under the presidency of CBC/Radio-Canada.

“Never has reliable news and information been so important and yet so under attack. In the face of growing disinformation, threats to the safety of journalists, funding pressures, and challenges to their continued existence, public service media must continue to demonstrate to their citizens that trusted, independent information is essential to a healthy society. The DG8 remains committed to addressing our common challenges, to better serve our publics and strengthen democracies around the globe.”

Catherine Tait, President and CEO, CBC/Radio-Canada

In response to the challenges faced in the production and distribution of trusted news, the DG8 agreed to work together to address:

• Misinformation and disinformation, which continue to proliferate. One response to these challenges is for news organizations worldwide to help audiences distinguish between what is real and what is fake. DG8 members each champion such efforts in different ways — some have adopted standards such as the Journalism Trust Initiative (JTI) certification from Reporters Without Borders (RSF), while others have focused on content provenance through initiatives such as the new Content Credentials standard. Launched in 2019, Content Credentials (originally called “Project Origin”) has evolved into an open-source, universal standard that is cryptographically secure, informing audiences when content has been altered or amended from its original state. This end-to-end solution was developed by an industry-wide group of content publishers, distribution platforms, and equipment manufacturers known as the Coalition for Content Provenance and Authenticity (C2PA). The group includes the BBC, CBC/Radio-Canada, The New York Times, Microsoft, Adobe, Omnicom, Publicis, Intel, Sony, and Arm.

• News content blocking by intermediaries such as social media platforms and public authorities, which results in restricted access to audiences and decreased audience reach by public service media. The DG8 will monitor the policies and practices of digital giants such as Meta, which is blocking access to news content on its Facebook and Instagram platforms in Canada and phasing-out Facebook News in the United Kingdom, France and Germany. The DG8 will also study the impact of blocking access to public media content and consider the implications for other countries.

• Increasing threats to journalists’ safety, which is contributing to a worldwide decline in media freedom. According to the Committee to Protect Journalists, 16 journalists have been killed so far in 2023, and 65 are missing. DG8 members will explore how they can respond more effectively, both individually and collectively.

• The use of Artificial Intelligence in newsrooms. The DG8 will discuss establishing common standards and practices regarding AI.

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) will assume the presidency of the DG8 in 2024.

Jen Oldershaw appointed ABC listen Lead

The ABC is pleased to announce the appointment of top radio executive and former triple j presenter Jen Oldershaw as the ABC listen lead.

Oldershaw brings to the role extensive experience across public and commercial radio broadcasting. Rising to prominence early in her career as a presenter on triple j and later a producer, Oldershaw was a founding member of Nova 969 and Vega 95.3 (now Smooth FM), implementing significant strategic projects as part of these networks.

ABC listen is a strategic priority for the ABC and the go-to for audiences to live stream their favourite stations, listen to Australia’s top podcasts and keep up to date with news.

“I’m excited to be taking on such an important role with ABC listen. It’s already the home to so much great ABC audio and I’m looking forward finding new ways to get that into the ears of as many people as possible,” Oldershaw said.

In 2015, Oldershaw returned to the ABC as Content Director at Radio Sydney, managing program teams across linear, digital and social. In her most recent role as National Content Editor of Capital City Radio, she commissions national content, drives network strategy projects and collaborates with the broader ABC business on tentpole events.

Reporting to Head Digital Content and Innovation, Angela Stengel, Oldershaw commences in the ABC listen role on October 31.

Stengel said: “I am delighted that Jen has chosen ABC listen for her next career move. Jen’s experience has traversed brands, taking her from music to talk, and from young to broad audiences.

“ABC listen is a priority product as we transition to become a digital-first media organisation and Jen’s content expertise is driven by a commitment to quality, a deep understanding of the craft, and the ability to draw insights from data. These skills are vital to the next evolution of ABC listen.”

ABOUT JEN OLDERSHAW

Jen Oldershaw is a media professional with a career spanning 30 years in the radio industry as a content maker, manager and most recently National Content Editor of the Capital City Network where she commissions content for the national network, collaborates across the ABC for major projects as well as initiating and driving network strategy for Local Radio.

She has a long association with the ABC having started her career as a presenter on triple j at the very beginning of its national expansion. She presented and produced many programs on the network including Breakfast, Drive and the Morning Show, where she hosted important conversations on current and cultural affairs for the national youth audience. More recently as Content Director of ABC Sydney she managed all broadcast, digital and social teams and content for the station.

Oldershaw saw the birth of two new radio networks as a founding member of both Nova 969 and Vega 95.3 (now Smooth FM) in doing so was highly involved in their early strategic visions, successes and challenges. Away from the day to day of radio, as AFTRS Radio Lecturer she was part of a small team delivering highly focussed and practical industry training to the new generation of content makers.

1 Like

Former commando Heston Russell has won his defamation case against the ABC and been awarded $390,000 after a federal court judge found the public broadcaster did not prove its reporting was in the public interest.

However Justice Michael Lee did not find Russell’s “oral evidence as to his hurt to feelings persuasive” and did not award aggravated damages.

Also see