ABC News (US)

Have no idea why World News Tonight is watched by so many people - IMO it’s the least substantive of the three nightly newscasts

2 Likes

I’d hazard a guess and say that sensationalist news broadcasts is fairly popular in America, judging by the looks of the ratings. David Muir is alright but Tom Llamas on weekends is just insufferable as a presenter with his sensationalist and tabloid tone. The entire bulletin is a far cry from the hard news of the Peter Jennings era, where hard news and worthy investigations formed the backbone of the bulletin. Nowadays it’s just viral videos and consumer pieces.

NBC and CBS deserves to win with their bulletins because in my view they have a good balance of hard news and lighter segments.

4 Likes

What I don’t like about ABC’s bulletin is how it’s centered around Muir to the point where he’s the focus rather than the network’s reporters and the stories they’re reporting on. Muir being the focal point of World News Tonight has only exacerbated during the Coronavirus pandemic

That sounds fairly interesting. I haven’t seen World News Tonight in a while to fully comment on this but if that’s true, reckon it’s pretty silly to push everything onto the anchor and making them more important than the news they report on.

I hate how the opening headlines can go for 12 or 13 minutes… or it sure feels that long.

2 Likes

Since the start of the coronavirus pandemic this past spring, ABC News’ World News Tonight with David Muir has been consistently America’s most watched program on all broadcast and cable television in Live+Same Day, ranking as No. 1 in total viewers for 16 of the past 19 weeks (starting week of March 2, 2020) in all day parts, including primetime.

For the week of July 6, World News Tonight was once again No. 1 in total viewers (8.965 million in L+SD), while also claiming top honors in adults 25-54 (1.724 million) and adults 18-49 (1.154 million). This marks the first time a network news program has ranked as the week’s No. 1 program in adults 25-54 and adults 18-49 in at least 28 years (since at least the start of Nielsen electronic database in the 1991-1992 season), topping all primetime fare on broadcast and cable.

1 Like

Full one hour interview with Mary Trump, Donald Trump’s niece, with George Stephanopoulos.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’m a little surprised studio 10 wasn’t given the GMA name.

1 Like

Surely 10 This Morning would be more logical these days.

4 Likes

World News Tonight averaged 9.61 million total viewers for the year, compared to 8.29 million for NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt and 5.92 million for CBS Evening News with Norah O’Donnell. The figures are from Nielsen, via ABC and NBC.

In the 25-54 demo, World News Tonight averaged 1.93 million, to NBC Nightly News with 1.76 million and CBS Evening News with 1.11 million. In the 18-49 demo, World News Tonight had 1.31 million, to 1.22 for NBC Nightly News and 792,000 for CBS Evening News.

1 Like

Tom Llamas jumping ship to NBC News

3 Likes

A source familiar with the situation said that Gutman was suspended for violating company safety rules having to do with going into a hospital for a story without getting permission from management beforehand. It was not immediately clear how long the suspension will last.

1 Like
3 Likes

2 Likes

Perhaps not the best place to post this, but ABC will be debuting a new look On-Air Presentation and refreshed logo, the last update occuring in 2013.

The new logo was spotted during Disney’s 2021|2022 Upfronts Presentation a few days ago, and now NewscastStudio have obtained more info before its debut:

In the article, it details some of the changes happening to the affiliate’s News logos and more, such as a new proprietary Network typeface dubbed ‘ABC Modern’ (not seen in below image):

The font seen in the article’s thumbnail and in some of the example images looks like something out of Stranger Things :thinking:

2 Likes
1 Like

Why is that article mentioning NBC News @JohnsonTV?

I think that is a typo. He is definitely leaving ABC News and not joining NBC News.

1 Like

Phil Lipof who was a former anchorman for ABC’s local station in NYC has just returned to the network at a national level. He would be my choice to replace Dan.

1 Like