ABC News (US)

Seeing as this thread is a little sparse, I thought I’d post some caps from ABC World News Tonight. (They are a little out of order because this sites upload feature isn’t great and it’s too much effort to rearrange)

The first set is from last Friday (May 18) and was on location due in Sante Fe, Texas due to a high school shooting the day before. Weekend anchor Tom Llamas hosted as regular anchor David Muir was in London to co-host the royal wedding.

The second set are from Sunday night with Tom back in the studio.

4 Likes

How much money did Nine pay ABC America to show GMA? I hope ABC America can open live streaming so that any Aussie fans of GMA can still watch the show.
I assume that from next week, the only news program produced by ABC America to air on FTA in Australia will be 20/20?

1 Like

The new GMA Day set. I wonder if TEN would ever resurrect it’s own GMA brand?

Courtesy: https://www.newscaststudio.com/setstudio/gma-day/

2 Likes

That set is incredibly versatile.

2 Likes

New graphics for GMA:

2 Likes

ABC World News Tonight will return to FTA after SBS signed a new content deal with American Broadcasting Company. From today, July 1, daily episodes of ABC World News Tonight with David Muir will drop exclusively on SBS On Demand from 6.30am, and will air on SBS VICELAND later that day. From July 30, the program will air daily on SBS at 12.30pm, followed by an encore screening on SBS VICELAND that afternoon.
World News Tonight last aired on Nine in the 1990s when Peter Jennings was at the helm, and then on Sky News Australia in the early 2000s.

Also, as mentioned on SBS Worldwatch thread yesterday, This Week with George Stephanopoulos will be shown on SBS VICELAND at 3.50pm Mondays from today, as part SBS’s deal with ABC.

4 Likes

*Company

3 Likes

I just checked the Viceland guide on SBS website and World News Tonight has not been added to this week’s schedule yet.

1 Like

I wonder how that works? ABC World News Tonight is on at 6:30pm New York time which is currently 8:30am Sydney time. Is it delayed by almost 24 hours, or is the story wrong?

1 Like

The story (from TV Blackbox) is based on a SBS press release which I am unavailable to find on SBS website itself.

1 Like

GMA is celebrating 20 years at Times Square!

4 Likes
4 Likes

ABC’s World News Tonight With David Muir came out on top in all major categories (adults 25-54 and adults 18-49), becoming the No. 1 newscast in America when it came to total viewers during the 2019-20 broadcast season. This is the first time in 24 years that World News Tonight has taken that trophy.

On the AM side of things, for the eighth consecutive year, ABC’s Good Morning America has taken the prize for No. 1 morning show.

2 Likes

Have no idea why World News Tonight is watched by so many people - IMO it’s the least substantive of the three nightly newscasts

2 Likes

I’d hazard a guess and say that sensationalist news broadcasts is fairly popular in America, judging by the looks of the ratings. David Muir is alright but Tom Llamas on weekends is just insufferable as a presenter with his sensationalist and tabloid tone. The entire bulletin is a far cry from the hard news of the Peter Jennings era, where hard news and worthy investigations formed the backbone of the bulletin. Nowadays it’s just viral videos and consumer pieces.

NBC and CBS deserves to win with their bulletins because in my view they have a good balance of hard news and lighter segments.

4 Likes

What I don’t like about ABC’s bulletin is how it’s centered around Muir to the point where he’s the focus rather than the network’s reporters and the stories they’re reporting on. Muir being the focal point of World News Tonight has only exacerbated during the Coronavirus pandemic

That sounds fairly interesting. I haven’t seen World News Tonight in a while to fully comment on this but if that’s true, reckon it’s pretty silly to push everything onto the anchor and making them more important than the news they report on.

I hate how the opening headlines can go for 12 or 13 minutes… or it sure feels that long.

2 Likes

Since the start of the coronavirus pandemic this past spring, ABC News’ World News Tonight with David Muir has been consistently America’s most watched program on all broadcast and cable television in Live+Same Day, ranking as No. 1 in total viewers for 16 of the past 19 weeks (starting week of March 2, 2020) in all day parts, including primetime.

For the week of July 6, World News Tonight was once again No. 1 in total viewers (8.965 million in L+SD), while also claiming top honors in adults 25-54 (1.724 million) and adults 18-49 (1.154 million). This marks the first time a network news program has ranked as the week’s No. 1 program in adults 25-54 and adults 18-49 in at least 28 years (since at least the start of Nielsen electronic database in the 1991-1992 season), topping all primetime fare on broadcast and cable.

1 Like

Full one hour interview with Mary Trump, Donald Trump’s niece, with George Stephanopoulos.

2 Likes