ABC Comedy - Programs and Schedules

Hugs all round as Bluey scores Kids Emmy Award nomination

Australia’s favourite family of blue heelers has scored an International Kids Emmy Award nomination celebrating the world’s best children’s content.

ABC KIDS’ Bluey , produced by Brisbane-based Ludo Studio, is in the running for the prestigious Kids: Preschool Award at the International Emmys, which will be announced in March.

The Logie Award-winning animated series about a six-year-old blue heeler pup and her family – on ABC KIDS at 6.20pm every night and available on iview – is the only Australian finalist for this year’s global children’s programming awards, the nominees for which span 15 countries.

Libbie Doherty, ABC Head of Children’s Content, said: “Congratulations to the amazingly talented team at Ludo for bringing this hilarious Aussie heeler family to local and international audiences. This International Emmy Award nomination is proof that authentic and entertaining Australian stories resonate with people around the world. Viewers young and old have embraced the heart, warmth and humour of Bluey, Bingo, Chilli and Bandit.”

Bluey is the most-watched program in the history of ABC iview, surpassing 100 million program plays in July 2019. The second series will air on ABC KIDS in 2020.

Bruce Paisner, President and CEO of the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, said: “The geographic spread and diversity of topics addressed in this year’s nominated programs attest to the vibrancy and quality of children’s television throughout the world.

“We congratulate the nominees for their outstanding talent and for setting the standard of excellence we expect for young viewers worldwide.”

I should have known there would have been more to this with Ben Lawson appearing in the show as Larry Hemsworth, a pediatric surgeon who the Hemsworths don’t want you to know about because he is not famous. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also interesting to see Aussie actors Paul Tassone (All Saints) and Ben Guerens (Neighbours) with guest roles.

Daley Pearson, one of the executive producers of Bluey, will be on The Project tomorrow (November 26).

Jimmy Giggle and Hoot go out on a high after 10-year run

GiggleAndHoot-2-new-2-500x375

Australia’s favourite owl pals Jimmy Giggle and Hoot are hanging up their production wings after a remarkable 10-year run of entertaining and delighting pre-schoolers.

The 11th and final series of ABC KIDS’ Giggle and Hoot will continue to air across late 2019 and early 2020, featuring more fun and games with Jimmy Giggle (played by Jimmy Rees) and Hoot the Owl, alongside friends Hootabelle, Giggle Fangs, Hoot Pa, Pirate Hootbeard and Hootagadget.

But fear not. Giggle and Hoot, first broadcast on 29 June 2009, will remain on the ABC KIDS’ channel, app and iview throughout next year and beyond, continuing to make pre-schoolers smile and laugh from when they wake until the moment Hoot’s Lullaby sings them to sleep at night.

Libbie Doherty, Head of ABC Children’s, said: “Giggle and Hoot has had a remarkable production run over more than a decade, capturing the hearts and minds of generations of pre-schoolers and their families. After celebrating the show’s 10th birthday, Jimmy spoke with us and we both agreed the time was right to opt out while we were still on top.

“The ABC is continually evolving its outstanding content for younger viewers, particularly on our digital services. Thank you to the incredible cast and crew who worked on the show over the years for their hootastic songs, games and adventures. And I would especially like to thank Jimmy, who is one of the hardest working TV Presenters – the passion and professionalism he brings to set every day is second to none. His contribution to sparking the curiosity and imagination of Australia’s children will be treasured by his fans. Happily, Giggle and Hoot remains central to the ABC KIDS’ family and will be shown on screen and online for a long time to come.”

Jimmy Rees said: “I’ve loved every day as Jimmy Giggle. I’ve worked with some of the very best people at the ABC and it’s been a complete joy to laugh and sing along with Aussie pre-schoolers across the country. After 10 years I decided that it was time to take on the next exciting challenge in my career, while also being able to dedicate more time to performing as Jimmy Giggle live in concert, a part of the job that I love so much.

“We’ve been working super hard these past few months to produce loads of content for everyone to watch and I will see all of my owl pals out on the road. Hoot! Hoot!”

Jimmy has played the seemingly ageless Jimmy Giggle since the program’s launch in 2009, leaving a retail sales job at age 22 to start his television career. He has since had three children (Lenny and twins Vinny and Mack) and has been an inspiration to many more, regularly visiting sick kids in hospital and performing in concerts across the country.

His moves on television show Dancing With The Stars this year earned him an even bigger following, along with the nickname “Jimmy Sizzle”. “Performing on Dancing With The Stars was pretty incredible and I have since tried my hand at FM radio, which has been great. I am feeling really great about 2020 – bring it on!” Jimmy said.

Hoot the Owl is played by puppeteer Damien Carey, who is also the voice for Giggle Fangs (a very friendly bat). His predecessor was David Simes, who played Hoot from the program’s inception until late 2018, when he left to star as James Potter in the stage show Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

This is at odds with the 2020 Up Fornts

No, Giggle & Hoot will still have new episodes for 2020 including the series finale which was recorded on Thursday.

or not

Or yes.

1 Like

Where’s that from?

The press release.

So after early 2020 it’s continuing as repeats.

1 Like

Sammy J: How Good is Christmas?

Sunday 15 December 8.30pm

2019 was a huge year for Planet Earth. Brexit, Impeachment, Hong Kong protests, trade wars, real wars, tragedies, triumphs, and a come-from-behind election win for the Australian government. Join Sammy J as he decks the halls, writes his cards, and serves up a selection of his favourite weekly sketches from the year gone by.

Whose Line Is It Anyway - Season 7

Weeknights at 8pm From Monday 6 January

Hosted by comedian Aisha Tyler, this long-running U.S improvisation show features regular cast members Ryan Stiles, Wayne Brady and Colin Mochrie. Along with aspecial guest comedian in each episode, the cast members must put their comedic skills to the test through a series of spontaneous improvised games.

From 2005?

No, the seventh season in the revived version which started in 2013.

2 Likes

So it’s the latest season of Whose Line? Which is only 12 episodes.

Would be nice if older seasons got played too.

1 Like

This as hosted by Aisha Tyler - the episodes listed, however, do not follow the original broadcast order.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2919910/episodes?season=7&ref_=tt_eps_sn_7

1 Like

Gavin & Stacey Christmas Special

Thursday 26 December at 8:00pm

It’s been ten years since we last went to Billericay to spend Christmas with the Shipmans and the Wests. This year we’re off to Wales for the festivities, where Bryn is cooking dinner for 13 people. Understandably he’s tense. Pam would secretly prefer to spend Christmas in Essex as she finds Gwen’s house a bit lacking, but the deal has always been that they alternate every year, and this time it’s the turn of the Wests to host Christmas with everyone under one small roof.

For Gavin and Stacey, parenthood continues to present them with several challenges, their ‘baby’ now being ten. Smithy, too, continues to commit to his fatherly role, making the journey to Barry at weekends and every second Wednesday to see 12 year-old Neil the Baby.

Nessa on the other hand adopts her own brand of Nessa-style mothering, whilst Pam, Mick and Gwen have become the epitome of doting grandparents. On Christmas Eve, Dawn makes a shocking discovery about Pete that jeopardizes their marriage (again) and a visit to the pub that night is an eye opener in more ways than one.
Sit back and enjoy a welcome return to the award-winning world of Gavin and Stacey and top off your Boxing Day with a big festive cwtch from these well-loved characters.