60 Minutes

Of course, but they do that because they think it will take a lot of the attention away from it, coming up to the weekend. However, if it’s a slow news weekend it could be the only thing people talk about.

1 Like

Hugh Riminton certainly let his feelings known on Twitter.

Perhaps Fatty Vautin can address the Independent Review on tonight’s Nine News if he’s available or perhaps during tonight’s NRL game or do we have to wait until the next NRL Footy Show?

9 Likes

Surprised they released it as early as they did though. I would have expected this to go out about 4.45 or later… once everyone else is down the pub.

60 Minutes

Sunday 29 May April at 8:30 pm

BAD GRANDPAS
Crime is never a laughing matter but the sheer audacity and extraordinary ingenuity of a gang of pensioner-aged British crooks has certainly made many people smile. Last year the daring villains used their substantial experience to plan and pull off the biggest burglary in English history. The Hatton Garden vault in the heart of London held hundreds of safe deposit boxes, full of jewellery, cash and other treasure. It was said to be impenetrable until the bad grandpas proved that boast a lie. They got away with over $25 million worth of loot. But the old-timers made one mistake, and it would cost them dearly.
Reporter: Liz Hayes
Producer: Gareth Harvey

SAVING THE CHILDREN
Eleven years ago Tara Winkler was a naive 19-year-old living a sheltered life in Bondi when she decided to travel to Cambodia for a holiday. Prosperity to poverty was certainly eye-opening for her, especially when she visited little children in the country’s many orphanages. Tara fell in love with them – it’s impossible not to – and she vowed to rescue as many kids as she could. She started up her own charity and home and raised her profile back in Australia to raise money for the orphans of Cambodia. Then she discovered she had been completely fooled because, as it turned out, most of her “orphans” had parents and families. But instead of giving up she decided to expose this cynical tourist trap, and then save the children in a completely new way.
Reporter: Allison Langdon
Producer: Laura Sparkes

BEIRUT: WHAT WENT WRONG?
Today the Nine Entertainment Company released the findings of an inquiry into what went wrong when 60 Minutes tried to tell the story of Brisbane mother Sally Faulkner and her attempts to regain custody of her two children. Michael Usher speaks with one of the report’s authors, founding 60 Minutes Executive Producer, Gerald Stone.
Reporter: Michael Usher
Producer: Howard Sacre

Note - report on “Independent” Review speaking to Gerald Stone.

Because damage control. Nine don’t want 60 damaged even further.

Too bad that’s the outcome regardless.

Apologies if this should be mock thread -

60 Minutes bold plan to restore credibility to the show

15 Likes

Love it!

“I’m Paul Fatty Vautin. Those stories and Mailbag with The Big Marn, tonight on 60 Minutes…” :wink:

5 Likes

Why have the comments about whether the producer was sacked or resigned been removed? Other media outlets are reporting it as him being sacked.

So there is no denying that 60mins paid for the abduction now? i’d love to hear from Ray Martin he was doing the rounds defending 60minutes all over the place clinging to that lack of confirmation.

Yes - “Nine was obliged to pay funds directly to the child recovery agency”.

Evidence that Nine sacked the producer.

2 Likes

How ugly this has all become.

Nine should axe 60. I know it’s not half as bad 90% of the time as the rest of commercial media, but they’re too deep in shit now to actually save the brand. Might as well move Inside Story to Sunday nights and turn it into a rebranded 60 Minutes.

1 Like

Things are grim at the moment but that’s drastic for a show that has been running for 41 years.

Last I checked, 60 Minutes Australia has been running for 37 years. But I take your point.

I agree with matlock. Just axe 60 Minutes and make a relaunched Inside Story a new/scaled down version of 60 Minutes but without the controversy, so to speak!

Inside Story has been shelved and the EP was let go by the network.

I don’t see 60mins being cancelled anytime soon, it won’t be easy coming back from this but the media storm will blow over eventually.

3 Likes

My bad. I relied on wikipedia which was obviously wrong.

3 Likes

Did you take into account leap seconds? There’s been a few of those over the years which could have stretched it out to the 41 years.

2 Likes

Regardless of whether it is warranted, I dont think 9 would axe 60, They should definitely rest it for the rest of the year. give a proper indication that they are regrouping.

Australia and the wider media want to see Tara go down. The story is going to stay in the headlines until she does. 9 might as well sack her, her career is not going to recover from this. 9 may have originally thought this would blow over but I think its clear that this is not ending any time soon.

2 Likes

Yep. I think there seems to be a general expectation from the public that as probably by far the most prolific face of this scandal, Tara Brown should resign or be sacked. And to be quite honest, I’d probably have to agree.

2 Likes