2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games Coverage

Get used to it because he is clearly their replacement for Bruce as the main host for their sporting coverage.

3 Likes

He’s an instant turn off whenever he appears on screen. Hopefully Seven will punt him once Gil is gone and/or Seven no longer has AFL rights.

2 Likes

Few thoughts about the coverage details:

• Surprised that Seven isn’t offering simultaneous coverage on two channels like they did for the 2018 Gold Coast Comm Games. There are definitely enough events happening most days to sustain a two channel offering and it would have come in handy when there are competing key events - as will happen most nights considering all but one of Australia’s netball and cricket group stage games will be played in primetime).

• It’s disappointing that seemingly so few people will be on-site in Birmingham for the coverage - especially considering COVID is no longer the prohibiting factor that it was over the last few years. While I understand hybrid coverage models are the way of the future for multi-sport events like the Commonwealth Games (especially after the last few years), hosting or commentating from a studio doesn’t enrich the viewing experience.

• Even though it’s during the overnight hours in Australia, great to see that Emma Freedman and Matt Shirvington will be helming coverage of the night session. They were the breakout hosting pairing from Seven’s Winter Olympics coverage so it’s good to see that being recognised with the plum timeslot. On the other hand, the less said about Seven persisting with pairing Hamish McLachlan and Abbey Gelmi together, the better it is for all of us.

• Hopefully Seven will utilise Cate Campbell in the same they utilised Lydia Lassila during the Winter Olympics (ie; having her join Mel McLaughlin & Jason Richardson) since I reckon that worked really well and enhanced the coverage.

• Finally, why isn’t the highlights show airing from 2pm - 5pm rather than 3pm - 5pm? It’s not like Seven are showing any meaningful programming in the 2pm timeslot now to justify not pre-empting it.

6 Likes

Then they can get used to viewers switching off in droves to avoid his smugness and self-absorbent attitude to everything.

What’s new? It’s Seven. They haven’t invested much into their viewing experience since 2008.

3 Likes

Maybe The Chase UK will move to 2pm for that time?

1 Like

Doesn’t the article say 7, 7mate and 7plus?

2 Likes

7plus will have live streams as with the Olympics

1 Like

Yes but 7mate is only being used for early morning coverage when Sunrise airs on the main channel. It’s not airing coverage alongside Seven at the same time (which was my point).

3 Likes

Sorry. I haven’t seen a 7mate schedule so I didn’t realise.

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

Does SEN’s “exclusive” radio rights include non-commercial rights? If so, the ABC won’t be able to broadcast the Commonwealth Games live on radio.

2 Likes

Ten had presenters on location in Glasgow. Did 7 did their Manchester coverage from Manchester or Melbourne

I recall remembering it was the first games that seven trialled the majority of commentators and hosts in studio after the 9/11 terrorist attacks and security threats?

1 Like

Yep. I remember reading in the news back then that 7 weren’t sending crew to Manchester due to security concerns.

1 Like

Yeah I reckon a lot of it has to do with his presence on-screen in different markets. AFL markets (especially Victorians) see him multiple times every week for 6 months a year for the last decade, plus more before that on Game Day. In NRL markets, apart from the tennis which he started doing in 2008 when he joined Seven as well as Game Day, more prominent around 2012 when he became a host, I’d imagine most wouldn’t see him until Rio 2016 Olympics or maybe Melbourne Cups. And since Rio he’s hosted prime time for all of the network’s major sport events.

So while he’s well known to (e.g.) Melburnians who have learnt to get used to and accept his presenting style, it’s possibly the opposite for those in (e.g.) Sydney. The latter market might not ‘get him’, might associate him with AFL (let alone Gil) and Melbourne and feel somewhat alienated, who knows.

But echoing an above MS user, he was clearly their Bruce McAvaney succession plan. Not sure the network has too many others capable anyway, certainly not Abbey Gelmi by herself (who so far on Footy Central has left a lot to be desired IMO), at least Hamish has proven capable of not needing an autocue and knows his sports, whether he handles that in a good or poor way though is another question.

Doubt they’d know who he is.

That was Gerard Whateley, and he was all ready to sign the contract but a new boss came in and scuppered that deal.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/bruce-mcavaney-succession-plan-sunk-by-seven/news-story/f3ed209f6e047b99aac9f101d797376b

2 Likes

He doesn’t know his sports and all he does on camera is being a sook who can’t keep still.

3 Likes

Is that accurate? From what I see on Bigfooty, he’s not at all liked by AFL fans. I’m not in Melbourne so it’s hard to tell exactly but it’s difficult to find anything positive about him on the biggest AFL fan forum.

1 Like