Seven HD

The axing of TV4ME will allow both 7 and 7Mate to be in MPEG4 HD.

Lets hope that is exactly what happens

7 Likes

Why don’t we all settle down and wait for 7 to release something. You’re all speculating. For all we know, they’re just testing in Melbourne and Adelaide.

4 Likes

As great as that would be, I doubt they would make 7mate MPEG4.

Even if 4ME disappears off the airwaves after the end of the month, how do we know that there isn’t another infomercial channel ready to take it’s place? A horrific thought, I know…

Why not run 7HD Monday - Friday, and switch it it 7mateHD Friday evening though Sunday afternoon for the AFL games

Then back to 7HD Sunday evenings

4 Likes

Oh stop it. You’re making too much sense!

12 Likes

People need to have a reason to feel outraged about something… Even though it’s not even officially launched lol :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I wonder if this will be the logo for 7HD. I like the plain and simple red. ch 73 (7mateHD) in Sydney is certainly not HD.

2 Likes

Which TV guide was that captured from? You might want to tell them that in Sydney, LCN-70 is currently 7mate HD while 73 is 7mate SD.

I’m not so sure about the Seven HD logo, but the 7mate HD one isn’t that far off the mark:

3 Likes

Freeview - http://www.freeview.com.au

1 Like

Seven are actually advertising “7mate HD” now?
Despite the fact 7mate has been HD for like 6 years now?

If they’re advertising it like that now, that makes me think it’s actually meant to be a permanent thing :confused:

2 Likes

Or both remain. Who knows!

Yep, as per the filename it’s a cap from their promo for Friday Night AFL.

Somehow, I’m now starting to think that Sydney is more likely to see the ABC launch a HD simulcast of their main channel before we get Seven in HD! :confounded:

1 Like

As much as my opinion may (in part) have something to do with Seven generally doing very little to please me as a viewer in recent times, I have no doubt that we would hear similar complaints if Nine did something similar by only allowing Sydney and Brisbane to have access to Nine HD with Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth continuing to receive 9Gem HD because of the NRL coverage that’s shown on 9Gem in some areas.

4 Likes

What technical limitations would there be in 7HD running in SYD, GOLD, BRIS and PER and just replacing network 7 Programming with the AFL games on Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday afternoon.

Is it that hard to do that for 4 markets?

Yep, even though I’d rather HD NRL and, of course, Come Dine with Me, 9 HD is a much better fit.

1 Like

Well look I can understand that. However I feel we need to be grateful that it is more than what have have already had!
And at least pretty well if not all the content I have seen on 7HD here in Melbourne is actually HD content.
Give it time, I feel the 7mate split will only be temporary, and like I said it better than nothing at all!

1 Like

While you do raise some good points Leostar…

Aside from a low bitrate MPEG2 SD version of 7mate now broadcasting and the HD version now in MPEG4, there really isn’t that much of a difference between what Sydney/South East Queensland/Perth has now compared to the situation this time last week.

Infact, I’d almost go as far as saying that Seven probably should’ve left things as they were until they were in a position to broadcast a MPEG4 HD simulcast of the main channel in every metro market.

Somehow, I don’t think that we would be seeing a “7mate HD” logo in promos for Friday Night AFL if the split was only ever intended to be a temporary/short term thing. Even if we were to see Seven HD in every metro market for the Olympics as many have suggested might happen, how do we know that they aren’t planning to switch the feeds in the current 7mate HD markets for the duration of the event only?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to be optimistic that Sydney (and South East Queensland, and Perth) will eventually have a full time simulcast of Seven’s main channel in HD but there are a few things that have me doubting it will happen anytime soon…

3 Likes