Seven HD

I agree that this is the most bizarre HD strategy yet.

Perhaps it’s Seven’s way of demonstrating to the AFL that 7mate on 73 isn’t attracting any fewer AFL viewers because it’s now in SD - ratings couldn’t be much lower anyhow? (and wouldn’t know it’s HD on 70 and watch it in SD).

Hopefully that wil convince the AFL that HD isn’t a necessity in the non AFL states and soften their stance.

ALSO… Nine wouldn’t be allowing the AFL to dictate it’s multi channel strategy, they’d be telling the AFL to stick that idea where the sun don’t shine, and rightly so. Seven should have shown more spine to the AFL here.

1 Like

Fairfax has a story about 7HD: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/technology/gadgets-on-the-go/sevens-fragmented-hd-revival-divides-a-nation-of-viewers-20160511-gosapp.html

4 Likes

I’ve seen local AFL games (West Coast or Freo) games on normal 7. So because of Friday night footy, Perth misses out on 7HD :frowning:

3 Likes

I saw a promo for Seven’s AFL broadcasts during a break in the news and in it i saw the new 7HD logo.

1 Like

And just HOW does the AFL expect Seven Perth to show ALL games in HD when due to time zone issues, games have to be shown on different channels.

Ridiculous in the extreme … This calls for the :angry: icon

5 Likes

What did it look like? Similar to the one seen on the TV Guide as a placeholder, or completely different?

Exactly the same

1 Like

Argh that’s a shame, I hoped it would have been similar to @SydneyOnAirTV’s Seven HD logo in the Random Mocks thread.

1 Like

This is a bloody joke both Perth Teams have most of they games on 7
Friday live games and Saturday live Night games are in hd on mate

1 Like

This is bizzare. Hopefully 70 becomes a main channel HD simulcast with breakaway programming during the AFL and the NFL in the summer months

2 Likes

This whole HD simulcast scenario must be confusing as hell to regular viewers. Hopefully this whole situation clears up in all states in the coming months or weeks in time for the Olympics and doesn’t stay the state it is now. A mess.

1 Like

I’ve read over this thread many times - and I still don’t get it.

AFL doesn’t rate that high in Sydney does it? That’s why it’s Aired on 7mate and not 7 to begin with.

Surely there are moe peopl watching home and away, house rules and criminal minds in Sydney in 7 than AFL on mate?

So why not put the much more popular shows (7HD) in HDf

1 Like

Remember when 7 in different cities would all have different schedules? Think of it like that. :wink:

A byproduct of the mess is that the picture quality of both the main channel and 7Two have fallen, at least in Brisbane. The combined bit rate of 7Mate and 7HD is higher than the original 7Mate so there are less Mbps available.

Currently the main channel is averaging just 2.63 and the SD version of 7Mate is unbelievably higher at 3.09 despite being available in HD. 7Two is only 2.52.

4 Likes

It appears the AFL has control over Seven’s operations. All these changes are specifically to cater to AFL. Nothing else matters. A by-product of these changes is those in Melbourne and Adelaide get Seven in HD.

1 Like

Yep. While there are two local AFL teams and therefore obviously some Sydneysiders who are interested in the sport, the NRL/rugby league is still by far the most popular Winter sport in Sydney and probably NSW generally.

I completely agree! Sure, break away from the feed of the main channel to show 7mate AFL coverage in HD if you must but I don’t think that people in Sydney (or South East Queensland, or Perth) would be particularly happy to miss out on seeing programs like House Rules, etc in HD.

Is there really that much interest in 7mate programs like Outback Truckers or Storage Wars in the current 7mate HD markets that it deserves to be seen in High Definition over premium main channel content like House Rules and The X Factor, etc? I would guess most likely not.

Yeah but back in the old days of TV, the commercial TV stations were owned by different companies (even if there was some shared common programing) in each city. That’s why there were different programing schedules in Sydney and Melbourne, for instance.

While it’s true that Seven has traditionally prided itself on having a more local identity compared to Nine and Ten, Australian commercial TV in general has mostly been run on a networked schedule (aside from local news, some local programing and a few minor changes for things like sport and the annual local telethons, etc.) since about the Late '80s/Early '90s. Whether or not having the mostly the same/similar programing everywhere is a good thing or not is a debate for another time and place.

…and there’s now a SD MPEG2 simulcast of 7mate (which IMO, is probably even more pointless than those damn duplicate LCNs!) on 73 in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth to go with the HD MPEG4 version on 70. Good for the increasing minority of viewers without HD-capable equipment, not so welcomed by everyone else…

I think i’ve seen on this thread at some point earlier that 7 are broadcasting the new 7HD MPEG4 channel at an incredibly high bitrate for MPEG4 (like double what they’d need).

What’s stopping them halving the bitrate on the current 70 broadcast and putting a main channel HD simulcast on 70 in all areas and a 7mate HD simulcast on say 75 in all areas as well?

2 Likes

In short, I would say they don’t have the technical ability to.

Edit: The bit rate in Brisbane of 7HD is 6.2 while 10 HD is 5.1

2 Likes

I’ve read somewhere that TV4ME won’t be shown anymore beyond the end of this month.
If that eventuated, would 7 be able to use the extra bandwidth from that to have 7 HD & 7mate HD in all markets?

Surely they have something in the pipeline rather than having one channel called “7 HD” in all markets simulcasting two different channels.

3 Likes

Would you be able to get a reasonable enough quality picture for two HD MPEG4 channels if they averaged around 3-3.5mbps or so per second?

If so, then having both Seven and 7mate broadcasting in HD sounds like a great idea…providing that they have the capability to do so, of course!