Nine News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

His career in television for the past 28 years:
1988-1995 channel 7
1996-2002 Fox Sports
2006- March 2016 Nine

He certainly hasn’t hopped around to every channel .

Thanks for that.

Another reason for me why I don’t think Williams should have been given the Sydney sports presenter role is the 2001 sexual harassement “scandal” involving a make up artist.

This should never have happened and I see the Sydney and Melbourne Nine News/Sports presenting roles (along with overseas postings) as ones that are among the most “prized” roles in Australian journalism, and generally only ones with the highest reputations should be considered for these roles and ones who are entrenched in the Nine family. Think Brian Henderson, Brian Naylor, Peter Overton, Peter Hitchener, Ken Sutcliffe. To me, Cameron isn’t in that same category.

I might seem harsh, but there are others whom I would have preferred to see in that role (obviously!). :smiley:

at some point you move on from things that happened 15 years ago. The charges were dismissed in court.

There has never seemed to be any issues with Williams and his fellow female presenters at 9.

2 Likes

I have no problem with Cameron working at Nine or anywhere in general, I just don’t think he deserves the “top” sports job at Nine Sydney.

You’re really grasping at straws here, it sounds like you personally dislike him.

Uhhhh what? So just because of someone’s sex/gender (and not their qualifications and experience), it means they can’t go for a position at their workplace? It’s not the 1960s anymore

4 Likes

No personal dislike, I just don’t think he is the right choice. That’s my view, you don’t have to like it, that’s fine.

But I agree with you that it doesn’t need to be a male either.

1 Like

As I’ve said before, Cameron Williams probably is the safest choice Nine could’ve made in picking a successor to the much loved Ken Sutcliffe. If they picked Tim Gilbert, Neil Breen or Danny Weidler instead…then the bulletin’s #1 position in the ratings probably would’ve been in serious jeopardy.

There’s no doubt that Nine Sydney has several very talented female sports presenters/reporters (and IMO, all are better than the rather average Mel McLaughlin on Seven), but are they experienced enough to be chosen for such a prestigious role as Sydney’s weeknight sports presenter?

The word experienced is highlighted, because Sydneysiders have long come to expect experienced presenters to front Nine’s 6pm bulletin. Indeed, Nine News Sydney themselves have previously done On-Air Promotion focusing on the years of experience that many of their presenters/reporters have…

4 Likes

Good post.
They REALLY should have kept Tim Sheridan.

I don’t think Nine did enough succession planning for Ken. They knew this day was coming.

2 Likes

I suspect Cameron was always his planned replacement. Regardless of what happened with his contract earlier this year.

2 Likes

Agree. And I think that someone should not be selected because of their gender or race but in fact their qualifications.

You’re contradicting yourself.

1 Like

My last post was more a political, world statement than something that is applied in the media. The media often uses target auidences to base their presenters on. So Nine News Now has always had a permanent femal anchor because its target audience is females. Today will always attempt to balance males/females. And I’m getting off track. :zipper_mouth:

Brenton Ragless unusually presenting Nine News tonight in Adelaide. For a moment I forgot what day it was lol

1 Like

Warren Tredrea on Sport as well tonight

2 Likes

Alison Ariotti is anchoring solo on Nine News Brisbane again this weekend.

1 Like

Nine need to really change their weekend team.

1 Like

Change who?

I think HarbourSideTv is referring to Nine News Queensland’s weekend team. Not too many on Media Spy are fans of Darren Curtis & Alison Ariotti as far as I’m aware!

Here in Sydney, I think that our weekend news presenting team from Nine (aside from the over-cheery weather presenter) is adequate enough.

2 Likes

The viewers are not fans of Nine Brisbane’s weekend team either with Seven easily ahead on both Saturday and Sunday in the ratings and that is despite the advantage Nine gets with an NRL lead in on Sundays in winter.

4 Likes

Ah right, with a name like HarbourSide, I thought s/he was talking about Sydney!

S/he didn’t say replace who though. All of them, and replace with who?

1 Like