Nine News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Massive news and probably not the best time for Nine News Sydney to have him stepping down.

Will be great to have Cam back on Nine, I am actually surprised he returned. But Williams is obviously the best replacement for Ken, and hopefully make for a smooth transition.

[quote=“Nicholas, post:740, topic:148”]
How come [Cam] left anyway?
[/quote] Despite him not citing any reason besides to start fresh, I think Cam was bored at the network. He had been on Weekend Today and Nine News Sydney sport as weekend presenter for about 6 years, and I think when Ken re-signed his contract (of 5 years IIRC) at the start of the year was Cam’s final straw.

I wonder whether Cam will go back to doing what Kenny used to do, hosting some football coverage along with Yvonne and Peter Sterling.

The Sunday WWOS after Weekend Today?

Laurie Oakes in the US to report on election.

1 Like

not sure on that one - didn’t Michael Slater sign on to that show as well as Clint Stanaway?

[quote=“Megalomaniacally, post:748, topic:148”]
not sure on that one - didn’t Michael Slater sign on to that show as well as Clint Stanaway?

[/quote]Michael and Clint always co-hosted when Ken or Emma were away this year.

EDIT- Sorry for misunderdtanding just read that Michael Slater recently signed new three year deal with Nine which includes hosting WWOS ,so sounds like he will be a permanent host next year.

I’m sure that Ken Sutcliffe is leaving on his terms. After such a long and rewarding career at Nine, I think it’s fair to say that Ken has definitely earned a happy retirement! :slight_smile:

As for whether or not it’s good timing, Nine News has been (and will continue to do so for some time) undergoing a generational change of sorts in recent times. The retirement of Ken Sutcliffe is all but one example of that generational change at Nine News.

I completely agree. While it will of course never be the same without Ken Sutcliffe (dare I say it, he’s quite possibly the Hendo of Sydney sport), I’m sure that the sports segment on Nine News Sydney will be in very safe hands under Cameron Williams.

2 Likes

And much better than Mel McLaughlin on Seven!

1 Like

I’m not over the moon about Cameron Williams returning to Nine and get the plum Sydney sports presenter job straightaway.

I would have much preferred to see that go to someone who has been at Nine a while… Why not Yvonne Sampson, Erin Molan or maybe even Julie Snook? But not Tim Gilbert or Neil Breen …no thanks.

You just contradicted yourself. Cameron has been at Nine longer than everyone you listed.

3 Likes

Danny Weidler would’ve been my first choice.

I meant that he has been in and out of various places, at Seven the Nine then somewhere else and now back at Nine again… who knows how long he’ll be there this time?

The interesting thing is that I don’t seem to remember Cameron Williams ever getting a regular media role during his break from Nine. Perhaps the departure/return may have been planned all along, you just never know. Mind you, I do wonder if Seven Sydney are thinking right now that they probably should’ve tried to sign Cam (back) to their network if they could when he was off contract at Nine.

Anyway while I admittedly wouldn’t have minded to see one of Nine Sydney’s talented female sports presenters/reporters get the role (now that’s very major generational change at Nine News Sydney!), personally I would’ve been much more disgusted if Tim Gilbert, Neil Breen or Danny Weidler became the Successor to Sutcliffe. Cameron Williams is probably the best person to fill the job, I’m sure he’ll do fine and yes, he’s a far better sports presenter than the (IMO) rather average Mel McLaughlin on Seven.

Unlike some other commercial TV newsrooms which shall not be named, the current management of Nine News Sydney aren’t idiots when it comes to their On-Air Presenters so I think we should trust them to pick exactly the right person to succeed Ken Sutcliffe.

2 Likes

When he left Nine it was reported he had signed with Fox Sport but I don’t recall seeing him on Fox.

I honestly thought that the Cameron Williams signing with Fox Sports thing was just a rumour that got out of hand.

1 Like

Natalia Cooper presenting Friday Morning News filling in for Deb Knight who worked on Today this morning.

1 Like

Nine News Now isn’t airing today due to cricket coverage.

1 Like

Cameron was in Broadcasting before they were born. Silly suggestions.

At Nine, not in broadcasting!

Williams has been something of a channel hopper. I don’t think he deserves to return and get the gig ahead of some more loyal alternatives.

Whilst yes, Snook or Sampson don’t have terribly long broadcasting, they are probably more likely to give a bit of stability or longevity to the post. And it would be good to see a female get the gig.

Cam was the ‘weekend’ sports presenter for 6 years and thus was Ken’s main substitute for those 6 consecutive years. Yvonne Sampson and Julie Snook have had their presenting duties increased since Cam left, after 10 years with the network, earlier this year. Erin Molan couldn’t have the gig because of The Footy Show.

Personally, I think since Seven News Sydney appointed a female sports presenter, Nine should stick to a male. The same occurs for the weather just the other way around. TBH, I think either Cam Williams or Tim Gilbert would have replaced Ken.

2 Likes