Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

I daresay it may form part of a resource sharing agreement with SCA?

I wonder if they might target existing SCA journos to fill these roles?

1 Like

…or maybe Nine themselves just might be producing the local bulletins for the SCA affiliates?

Sounds like a PR disaster waiting to happen. I can see WIN and Prime with adverts for their news as the voice of regional and rural Australia with the big city stations taking over your TV - just tweak those Save Our Voices adverts. I think it would be about as popular as 9 News in Perth :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree, although regional networks like WIN and Prime7 are hardly ones to credibly defend “local voices” knowing their conduct in recent years of axing local bulletins and centralising the production/presentation of any remaining services to one or two major hubs, etc.

I think Nine wins the award for biggest watermark!

11 Likes

With discussion of Seven News launching a Gold Coast bulletin, here is a look at what Nine Gold Coast News covered last night - includes the start of each news item, as well as sport, weather, beach and surf. You can see the different reporting styles used. Potential for improvement especially the cross to reporter standing on a balcony (not sure why) that is very often affected by background noise. This seems to be in place of the live crosses seen in capital city bulletins. The weather is usually presented from there as well. (Yes, that is what the opener sounds like.)

5 Likes

Judging by that clip, true competition in local TV news on the Gold Coast really can’t come soon enough…

2 Likes

Seriously I agree. That’s pretty shocking. So flat and dull and static. It’s so formulaic. I fell asleep watching all that. It feels like a new format out of the 80s

The Gold Coast is such a young energetic city. Why don’t they mix it up a bit. Have some weather and surf near the top. Some traffic news for all those commuting on the M1 or waiting for family to get home. Live shots as they go off to break. Bruce is pretty flat and reads so slow

Hopefully seven brings some serious competition

4 Likes

So this is what the other side of the national set looks like:

As seen on tonight’s news.

9 Likes

That looks like the big screen that Tracy sits in front of on ACA now…

4 Likes

It looks like the big screen on the ACA set…because it IS the big screen on the ACA set.

As I’m sure we’ve established by now, most of Nine News’ Sydney-produced daytime (semi) national bulletins and ACA definitely use the same set/studio. Obviously the lighting and screen backdrops are changeable with the cameras/desk getting rotated between programs. It’s called using the studio space to it’s fullest potential, something we all know that Nine Sydney is generally very good at! :wink:

3 Likes

What was the story?

Yeah, I jut must have missed that they moved into that studio. I thought it was only tiny

Gerard Stone, 60 Minutes review.

1 Like

[quote=“Leostar, post:389, topic:67, full:true”]
Yeah, I jut must have missed that they moved into that studio. I thought it was only tiny
[/quote] We thought it was really tiny too but I think they got a slightly smaller desk which would have helped. ACA moved their when they got the modified set with the grey skyline at the start of the year.

1 Like

It is tiny. The camera looks like it is almost touching the back wall in that cap, it’s incredible how huge they make it look on TV.

Is that studio automated?
Would explain the lack of room needed for a cam op behind the camera.

I think so.

Yep, it all is. :slight_smile:

They do that “stop and check” for all feeds :slight_smile: