AFL Coverage

Is Peter Walsh going to Rio or staying in Australia?

According to twitter he’s in Rio, normally does the basketball.

Drew Morphett has fallen off hasn’t he? four years ago, he was doing the Olympics for ABC radio. Now he works AFL games for 6PR

Remember Drew is 68 know

I thought Drew had retired, or semi-retired, which was him leave the ABC. He was doing AFL and cricket across the year but left last(?) cricket season IIRC

Unless he was one of the victims of the ABC budget cuts in 2014, I thought his step back from full-time commentary was a voluntary one

He was culled during that cost saving period

Is ABC’s pre-match airing anywere? the Opening cermeony isn’t over.

Drew Morphett also calls some games for Crocmedia. He’s rostered for tonight’s Dogs V Roos match.

He is also hosting ‘The Winners Rebooted’ on Fox Footy.

Was on local analogue in Melbourne.

Absolutely not his call. Wonder who’ll do the cycling in Rio for ABC.

I’m really impressed with Nigel Carmody calling the Suns-Giants game on ABC Local Radio. is he a freelancer?

Not sure, he’s done the boundary for ABC games before and does VFL for Seven.

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/afl-coverage/1471/96?u=tamago_otoko

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/afl-coverage/1471/100?u=tamago_otoko

Bugger, I got the impression it was his decision to take a step back.

Drew was always one of my favourite callers on Seven back in the day, as well as doing a very good job with the cricket on ABC more recently. He called the '94 prelim (with Dennis, of course which my beloved Cats won after the siren) and I still have lines from his call of that game etched into my mind - one of the most epic games of football

ABC is taking the 2.10pm game- i wonder if it is due to the swimming finals overrunning into the Lions-Blues game(but that isn’t stopping 6WF from taking that game).

There is not much swimming at Rio this morning (four events) so it will finish before 12pm AEST. ABC Radio’s Olympics coverage will finish at 1pm AEST as scheduled.

Hmmm Kelli Underwood calling Lions-Blues? i tohught she did games in Melbourne?

She is based in Melbourne, obviously they are stretched with many commentators in Rio. I imagine she caught an aeroplane to Brisbane so there are sufficent callers.

It’s interesting, however to hear the “B” team callers get a shot on the games while the main guys are in Rio-like Anthony Tucker(SA) and Bret Sprigg(WA) getting some “main” games- obviously they are short staffed.

Is Adam White doing double time today? He called this afternoon’s Hawthorn-North Melbourne match with Brett Sprigg this afternoon, and I reckon Adam is also commentating tonight’s game between St Kilda and Sydney.

No matter how many times i’ve heard it, the way that Andrew Mayes and Nigel Carmody called the end of the Giants-Eagles game on ABC, including the goal just before the siren has to be one of the best calls i’ve hear all year. those guys really nailed it! but you should have heard the 6PR call- Drew Morphett, Brad Hardie and Karl Langdon went wild, obviously because the Eagles won!