Nine (WIN)

Why couldnt it happen?? When Southern Cross controlled NRTV and Capital Television former viewing areas, SC10 had regional variations on secondary channels.

If WIN were sensible, they would try to tie all networks in together

Infomercials are gold mines. You’re saying get rid of them so people can watch Sky News instead, which will have a dedicated channel anyway. It’s no different to suggesting Prime replaces all their infomercials with a simulcast of Racing.com, which to me seems like a silly idea.

1 Like

You seem to be misinterpreting what I am saying - I am suggesting moving them to a secondary channel, like WIN already does with 3.5 hours per week (moved to 5:30am instead of religion on 11).

I am saying that WIN could replace some of the overnight repeats (or daytime repeats with infomercials) to accommodate being an overnight news service. It would be better than what is on offer from Prime and SC9/NBN in regional markets

A 2 hour daytime feed weekdays could be more of a gold mine for WIN than a 2:30am to 4:30am slot

Why not both?

The only question for me is if WIN would replace some Ten News programming with Sky stuff on the main channel - particularly when they are airing Studio 10 - which has infomericals WIN wouldn’t make money from - which was their motivation for dropping Kerri-Anne for Suzie back in the day.

That would be far more likely - though I think still slim - than some overnight simulcasting.

I am only thinking about what WIN did when it was a Nine affiliate in that it screened Crawfords Classics instead of infomercials

Realistically, who watches terrestrial TV 11pm-5am, let alone watching WIN? It would be near pointless for any network to put real programming on in those hours when they can just run infomercials and fill their pockets as a bonus.

1 Like

Infomercials daytime on WIN - no thanks. Keep it overnight thanks. The only reason WIN airs so much now is due to the Ten affiliation.

This might be the case, but I will point out that the Nine network is the only network that airs infomercials post 8am weekdays is Nine’s secondary channel Gem and Nine main channel airs minimal infomercials overnight.

Nine is the only Metro network that posted a profit for the half year ending 31 December 2017. So that in itself could be a reason to explore what I am suggesting.

Although not as many as the 6pm til 10:30pm period and not as many as in the daytime - but there are people out there who watch, otherwise you are suggesting that companies like Danoz and Global Shop Direct are wasting money screening infomercials overnight - like has been suggested above - Infomercials are a revenue stream for the networks

For anybody even awake between 11pm-5am, would you rather watch whatever junk could be put on during that slot, or would you rather watch Netflix or catch-up TV and choose what you want?

3 Likes

Not everyone watches Netflix or catch-up TV. Some don’t by choice, some don’t have the facilities (eg internet access or unreliable internet services)

As I said Nine might be rating second but it was the only one out of Nine, Seven and Ten to declare a profit for the half year to 31 December 2017 and in the previous half year declared a dividend twice that of Seven.

Nine proves that you don’t have to just air infomercials between 11pm til 5am each day to be profitable

1 Like

So the reason Seven and Ten didn’t turn a profit is because they don’t air as many infomercials, or don’t air them at the right times?

1 Like

Seven and Ten air most of their infomercials before 7am when not as many people are watching. They schedule more infomercials in the midnight to 5am than Nine whereas Gem air 2 hours between 7am and midday

What’s more important - a viewer getting what they want or a network making more money? On one hand you’re saying networks should give overnight viewers more programming and less infomercials. On the other hand you’re suggesting networks should schedule infomercials during the daytime to make more money.

I would think if networks are going to make the decision to air infomercials at all, doing it when the least amount of people are watching is a decent compromise for both the viewer and the network.

At the end of the day, there are usually 2 to 3 multi-channels running programs when the primary channel is running infomercials. Yes your choice of viewing is reduced by 3 channels between midnight and 5am in most regions, but I think that’s a relatively good outcome for viewers.

2 Likes

I am suggesting that the networks should avoid wall to wall infomercials (in no more than 2 hour instalments) to ensure viewers don’t turn off altogether. Ten currently has nothing to attract viewers between 7am and 8:30am when Studio 10 begins - I think CBS This Morning should air at around 12:30am (so that it screens closer to when it is actually filmed - the Friday edition screens on Monday morning - screening more than 50 hours after it was originally filmed) followed by infomercials and The Late Show

So you’re suggesting moving overnight infomercials, where almost no one watches them anyway, to daytime slots that actually will ensure viewers turn off altogether?

1 Like

Indeed it was:

1 Like

I wonder if there are any plans to add Sky News on WIN to Foxtel Now and call it Sky News Regional? Saves me having to log in remotely to my parent’s new BluRay/HDD recover to get a stream of Sky News on WIN. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I don’t think this discussion about ‘Sky News on WIN’ from 28/05 has been shared here yet…

7 Likes

How convenient to mention it being the first time in 62 years that free to air viewers will have a dedicated news channel. Hmmmm, ABC 24 has been doing that with full national free to air reach since 2010. How anyone takes anything Darren (Lurch) Davidson says seriously is beyond me, such a one eyed Murdoch drone. As it will be filled with the Credlin and Paul Murray, it can hardly be termed a ‘news’ channel can it?

Can see a time when WIN will put SKY News on the main channel to replace TEN Eyewitness News and break away from being a fulltime TEN affiliate and source programming via Murdoch and other sources. And only cherry picking select content from TEN.

5 Likes