Nine (WIN)

Just a theoretical thing - if Bruce were to spit the dummy and pull all Ten programming OR Ten/CBS has enough of Bruce’s pre-empting and general disrespect towards their viewers and decides to terminate the affiliation agreement, would it be possible for them to go to SCA or Prime and organise some dual affiliation so that two networks (perhaps a full suite of Seven/Nine channels + a single Ten channel) can be carried on one multiplex?

I’ve seen that this sort of thing happens a lot in smaller markets in the US.

2 Likes

There were stories that Nine was looking to sign a deal with SCA to carry the Nine channels in addition to SCA’s Ten channels when they couldn’t sign a deal with WIN, but that wasn’t needed when WIN eventually signed a six month deal … their last with Nine.

I don’t know how that could have worked. WIN would still own all their licenses so SCA wouldn’t have been able to use WIN’s multiplexes. They would have have had to squeeze the Nine and Ten channels onto one multiplex. Would have definitely only been a temporary measure if anything.

Luckily WIN and Nine agreed to a 6 month extension. There was also stories at the time that SBS did a deal with Nine and was ready to broadcast the Fifth Test at the SCG to regional areas only if WIN didn’t come to a new agreement with Nine.

Promo for DOOL / Y&R:

4 Likes

Bruce Gordon has only just arrived back in Australia this week for his annual (?) visit, his return delayed by major dental work. Which means the soapies on WIN Eleven are starting with him back in the country. The aerial on top of the Toaster at Circular Quay would no doubt be pointed south so Bruce could pick WIN and not miss his daily fix of Days and Y&R.

5 Likes

Any idea why he’s put these on Eleven rather than the main channel?

Can I ask how WIN has these and not TEN?

Because WIN has acquired it from Sony. Ten hasn’t bought it.

3 Likes

He’s here to buy a stake in the St George-Illawarra Dragons. Hopefully this purchase will be a little more successful than his failed bid for TEN. No doubt he’ll check out his regional television network to make sure that on screen logo can still be seen from space.

11 Likes

inb4 CBS buys the Dragons.

6 Likes

It’s technically possible. I’d actually like to see this happen.

1 Like

The only considerations would be if there’s an exclusivity clause in the Prime/Seven or SCA/Nine agreements - it’s possible that their agreements say that they won’t provide other channels in those areas, SCA’s additional deal with SBN would suggest that may not be the case (or could be different as SBN would be classified as a datacasting channel).

4 Likes

And his 9:00am-4:00pm pub, until 5:30pm on weekends.

5 Likes

Makes you wonder how Bruce managed to make his billions. He certainly has some odd business ideas. I’ve heard of the pub with no beer but a pub that shuts at 4pm? They can’t have too many RSA issues in that venue.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

I see channel 83 has changed to a what’s on the WIN network promotional channel now.

6 Likes

It’s just a channel of stills with the theme music of each programme playing in the background and the WIN voiceover talking briefly about the show.

The video loops after 8 minutes.

Here’s a few screenshots:

This was my favourite moments of the whole 8-minute video:

9 Likes

Who knew that Arial was back in fashion…

4 Likes

Scorpion is also Sundays at 6.30, not Saturdays. I’m not surprised they have no idea what’s on when though after visiting their website the other day. That’s a laugh if you’re feeling down.

3 Likes

Video:

7 Likes