Nine (WIN)

NRN is a typo - I meant to say NBN, as stated above. Have now edited the post.

2 Likes

Quality would be a major driver here - I’d imagine that you’d get some viewer leakage from both nbn and Prime 7 (where they broadcast news)

Would WIN potentially instate bulletins for the regions that Prime don’t cover, plus Newcastle? That way, they only have to compete against NBN (composite) and ABC (statewide); not only just 2 rivals as opposed to three, but none that are the same format as WIN (30min local).

2 Likes

I reckon there is only a slim chance of a full 30 min WIN News coming to Newcastle.

Virtually no chance everywhere else where you have either Prime7 Local News at 6pm or Nine Gold Coast News as well as NBN.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’d say a 5% chance, honestly.

3 Likes

Canberra WIN Viewer here: They have gone to commercial break on The Project with the WIN logo still on the screen. I hope this is just someone messing up at the control desk and not something we can expect going forward.

1 Like

Its the same here in Ballarat vic so annoying i think it will be the same in all win regional areas

1 Like

Ok, the logo is now gone. That’s better.

So when WIN TV comes to Newcastle, Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Gold Coast, the TEN transparent Logo will be removed and heads up, because Northern NSW areas will see a blue Australia ID logo at the bottom right of the screen. Or I should say ‘WIN Mappy ■■■■■■■■■!’

3 Likes

all win has to do is get a clean feed with no ten watermark then win can add a ten style watermark thats why we got big blue mappy to cover up tens as it would look terrible transparent on transparent

WIN already use a Clean Feed.

They insert the “big blue mappy” on a clean feed that has nothing underneath it

9 Likes

Mappy is only used on clean feeds. WIN already uses a Ten-style solid watermark when in recovery mode (with a dirty feed) as mappy doesn’t fully cover the Ten watermark.
There is literally nothing stopping them from using either transparent mappy or Ten-style watermarks.

3 Likes

I fully expect WIN will launch local news into NNSW - at the very least to try and show themselves in a good light for media reform.

There’s currently nowhere WIN is required to service with a news bulletin where WIN don’t do a full service. All the places they’ve cut back are optional markets.

For all their other faults I don’t think WIN are ones for two minute updates.

2 Likes

Mackay is the only one.

If they wanted to show themselves in a good light for media reform, then they shouldn’t have axed Mackay, Mt Gambier or Mildura bulletins.

1 Like

No Moe is right, Mackay is optional as only 6 of 7 markets are required to be served.

The optional markets were cut due to lack of sufficient revenue flow. WIN have already been very generous maintaining some of their current bulletins without cutting them back to lazy noodle updates. Some have rated shockingly and not to the standard to be expected, however, Bruce Gordon has continued to effectively bankroll them by forgoing the real cost reductions to be made from such an exercise.

1 Like

Yes, I’m amazed that some of the bulletins are still on air more than 12 months after the TEN affiliation swap.

1 Like

It didn’t HAVE to be Mackay though, it could have been Wide Bay or another area that was cut. But Mackay would have been the most logical, being fairly small and a Seven stronghold.

The point is more that WIN need to service all but one of the NSW markets with local news (or ‘material of local significance’ if there was someone getting ready to correct me), and when WIN service a market, they do it with full bulletins.

That’s WIN’s formula, I see them sticking to it.

They do have to nominate which region it is though - every broadcaster has a region nominated, even if they do provide news to that area. I also believe they can’t nominate a region that another broadcaster has nominated.

2 Likes

I think it will cost them too much to do it in N.NSW now that they are a TEN affiliate, particularly in terms of set up costs.

If they were a Nine affiliate still, it would probably be a different story, as they would have had a higher revenue base from which to do it with.

1 Like