Nine (WIN)

Wasn’t it reported on here a couple of days ago that a WIN “Entertaining Australia” promo was airing on what (at the moment) is still SCA Ten in Northern NSW?

Now I don’t know if the playout has changed yet or anything, But if SCA Canberra is still in control of that until the end of the month and they’re able to air a WIN Entertaining Australia promo, would it be that difficult to start running “From September 1, Ten will become WIN” promos explaining the changeover to viewers?

6 Likes

My point was WIN claiming to follow accepted practice, but they clearly are not because if they were their Ten channels outside of NNSW would be on 5 etc. It was their choice to stay on 8.

4 Likes

Yep. I saw the promo on Ten Taree whilst down in Port Macquarie a few nights ago. I’m not sure if it aired in the other Northern NSW markets. SCA are still handling the play out for now and I would expect to see more promos advising of the changes up until then. I can assure you that not many people up here in Coffs Harbour know of the impending changes so it makes sense to air the promos.

2 Likes

Even though SCA may be handling playout for the moment, WIN will still be pulling the strings around what advertising goes to air (how else are the WIN sales people going to be able to sell advertising)

2 Likes

WIN could also be paying SCA a small amount for renting the playout space while they get ready to cut over…

1 Like

The ACMA should intervene and re-standardise LCNs, IMO.

2 Likes

fully agree

1 Like

Why? Does it bother people in Bundaberg that they might have different channel numbers than Tamworth?

6 Likes

No, but it does generally seem to bother people that “Channel 9 is actually on Channel 5”, myself included.

1 Like

First world problems :neutral_face:

2 Likes

ACMA has nothing to do with LCNs and never has.

It’s way too late now (>14 months), and would’ve been late even if attempted to be enforced relatively quickly (just imagine appeals, court orders to enforce, etc.).

Still I’d have liked if SCA had opted to use the 9xx series numbers, but [as previously discussed, in the Nine (SCA) thread IIRC] in overlap areas the weaker signal channels would’ve gone to something like 350+, and I can’t blame SCA for not liking the idea of that either.

2 Likes

As someone who lives in one of those places, yes it does

1 Like

The term “LCN” is supposed to refer to Logical Channel Numbers, but what’s so logical about having “Channel Nine” on either 9, 5 or 8 depending on where you live?

OK, it’s fair enough to use different LCNs in regional markets where metro TV reception is available officially or through common fortuitous reception. But apart from that, the LCN arrangements should be the same as the metro markets everywhere IMO!

2 Likes

There’s no denying it is a mess. A good example is 9Gem which is available on 7 different LCN’s (50, 52, 80, 82, 90, 92, 192) depending on where you live and what equipment you have. TVSN is on either 14, 57, 75, 84 or 176. The OCD side of me demands a consistent pattern Australia-wide or at least in all regional areas. But the reality is viewers mostly watch TV at home and would only notice differences when they travel. Everything’s different when you travel…

6 Likes

They never will. It’s just easier if everyone keeps to the current consensus of Seven on 6, Nine on 5 and Ten on 8 (save for NNSW which will never change).

There’s nothing stopping SCA from swapping the LCNs for Nine GDS/BDN and Ten SGS/SCN, which are still on the pre-2016 numbers.

1 Like

The broadcasters have total control over LCNs. The ideal time to have made any sweeping changes would have been when there was the re-stack and everyone had to re-tune their TVs anyway.

3 Likes

Oh dear. If this trend continues, Free TV in Australia needs an evaluation of the industry. WIN’s and SCA’s balking of LCN adjustments make me crazy! Standardisation should be the focus of the broadcasters’ evaluation.

We use to get BTV6 on Channel 10, whats the difference!

2 Likes

So the ten branding is completely going in NNSW and being replaced by the sub par WIN branding… how horrific!! Honestly win are fucktards

2 Likes