Nine (WIN)

I’m thinking that SCA and WIN are in a transition period at the moment. Most businesses generally have this window whenever there is a change of ownership to allow a smooth changeover. However long this is, I’m not sure. I do know that when WIN took over SES8 and RTS5a in 1999, it was about three months before any sign of the WIN branding appearing on air.

2 Likes

As previously discussed, ownership is most likely to officially transfer on July 1. As the EOFY, that is when most advertising agreements and other terms are likely to be up for renewal, it just makes things “neater”.

When Nine purchased NWS Adelaide in June 2013, ownership and control was not officially transferred until July 1.

1 Like

And they didn’t get rid of the SES 8 watermark until about 2 years later.

1 Like

Lol, yes I remember that. Someone told me the reason they kept the watermark on for that long was because WIN Western Victoria was easily picked up in Mount Gambier and most of South Eastern SA generally and it was to distinguish between the two channels.

1 Like

Just saw an ad on WIN for Acropolis Now, with “Effy” (?) talking to the camera about it being on Eleven on Weeknights.

1 Like

That’s been running since Acropolis Now was scheduled at 7pm weeknights

3 Likes

Would WIN ever bring back Susie, or a new series modeled after it? Air Studio 10 at the usual time, then afterwards show a 60-minute regional morning talk show in place of U.S. The Talk.

Alternatively, replace U.S. Entertainment Tonight with a 30-minute regional afternoon entertainment show (similar to Seven’s The Daily Edition) that leads into Alive and Cooking. They could then promote it as “WIN’s local afternoon hour”.

Surely local content on WIN would rate higher than the U.S. jumbo that Ten slaps into their schedules?

Current lineup Regional morning show Regional afternoon show
7:00 All Australian News NO CHANGE NO CHANGE
8:00 The Bold & The Beautiful NO CHANGE NO CHANGE
8:30 Studio 10 NO CHANGE NO CHANGE
11:00 The Talk WIN morning talk show The Talk
12:00 Dr. Phil NO CHANGE NO CHANGE
1:00 MasterChef NO CHANGE NO CHANGE
2:00 Entertainment Tonight Entertainment Tonight WIN afternoon show
2:30 Alive & Cooking NO CHANGE NO CHANGE
3:00 Judge Judy NO CHANGE NO CHANGE
1 Like

The ownership of the licence transferred on 31 May 2017 as SCA had already announced. From the ACMA website:

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/19575103_10209476323009514_6164503969268448574_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=10bc1e850a98cb9b40f7c2486e9ca50f&oe=59DED892

3 Likes

What I meant was full control. The license has indeed been transferred, but SCA are still operating the station as confirmed by the presence of their Local News Headlines and no WIN mudmark. On July 1 we will most likely see WIN express active ownership as full control is passed to them.

3 Likes

Offspring themed line up.

3 Likes

The deal for WIN to buy NRN was only done very recently.
Transition to full WIN ugliness won’t occur until WIN establishes another 24 sets of play out channels from their Media Hut centre in Campbelltown, 6 X WIN, 6 X WIN HD, 6 X WIN 11 and 6 X WIN ONE. Unless WIN 11 and WIN ONE for NRN will be a single NRN market wide feed only?
Not to mention building a stack of new transmission links from Campbelltown to all the NRN transmitter sites.
More likely the full ugly horror of the WIN takeover wont happen until end of this year.
I would not want the current viewers of NRN to see this rushed before then. Enjoy the sh!t stain free programming while it lasts!

3 Likes

Would HD have another full playout, since it’s just got the “HD” add-on but otherwise the same is downscaled to the SD version?

[quote=“TV-ACT, post:3774, topic:55”]
Would HD have another full playout,
[/quote]maybe not full, but enough for it be basically the same. Playout software can easily accommodate additional channels with minor hardware upgrades. The main gear is the encoders, of which each output requires a separate one.

Not as much as you’d expect. DDA (WIN distribution company) already has microwave links for all of NNSW since they also distrubute Prime’s signal (and have done for many years - well before Prime’s move to Media Hub). It would of course be dependent on cavailable capacity, but applying for more frequencies and installing additional equipment is the easy part - they’ve already done the hard work of finding and testing suitable locations and negotiating deals to use said sites.

I believe SCA distributed their signal largely by Fibre/DVN links through their offices in Newcastle, Taree, Coffs Harbour and Lismore, with microwave links between those offices and the TX sites. WIN now control the Lismore and Taree sites so can also use that infrastructure fairly easily. Even if they need to continue to use infrastructure in SCA offices in Newcastle and Coffs they could to get the convenience of managing their own playout.

3 Likes

Nothing happened yesterday?? If that’s the case, anymore (un)educated guesses on when Ten NNSW becomes WIN.

4 Likes

I’ve heard more like 1st of September

I can confirm that the “Ten” signage has been taken off the outside of the SCA Coffs Harbour building. “WIN” signage has not been installed as yet. From what I know, WIN and SCA will be in the same building for now. I’m not sure about signage at any of the other locations in Northern NSW.

8 Likes

2 Likes

Comparison of the feeds of WIN Townsville and WIN Mackay last night.

This was recorded from about 6:25pm. Townsville was airing WIN News, while Mackay doesn’t have a local WIN News bulletin.

Link to YouTube Video

1 Like

I’ve noticed that WIN Eleven is having some Audio problems. I don’t know if it’s happening nationally or it’s just occuring in the Illawarra?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY8Lr8zD08c

1 Like

I’ve just checked and I’m hearing the same thing on Eleven in Townsville too

1 Like