Nine (WIN)

Until they buy Ten Darwin that would be inaccurate.

6 Likes

ACT and NT are not states.

Darwin is a capital city … which was my point.

1 Like
  1. Ten Darwin is a joint venture between SCA and NEC: Darwin is limited to two broadcasters only (as is TDT Tasmania with SCA and WIN)
  2. In FTA television, “capital city” is interchangeable with “metropolitan area”, i.e. Darwin, Hobart and Canberra are discounted as they are classed as regional broadcast areas.

Only be reading into the details would viewers realise that the statement is not technically true by normal terms, but is still accurate.

2 Likes

Sorry, I pointed that … I’m moving on.

1 Like

They aren’t. The stakes in the joint venture channel can be sold to a third party at any time.

Indeed an ownership trigger event can force them to be sold off. This almost happened - with Prime and Southern Cross initially planning to do a swap of their 50% stakes in MDT and DTD after the ACMA considered that the Macquarie/Southern Cross takeover was a trigger event.

They eventually won on appeal and weren’t forced to sell, so it never happened.

Detail: Broadcasters to swap TV stakes

5 Likes

I was just thinking that Network TENs financial woes couldn’t have come at a worse time for WIN to relaunch TEN here in Northern NSW.

When it does happen, the average viewer is going to think the worst has happened and that TEN have gone under… When we here at MS all know that this has nothing to do with Network TEN’s situation.

It will be interesting to see how WIN explains this. It could potentially be as confusing as the affiliation swap that occurred in other regions last year.

9 Likes

Does it matter? As long as the programs continue…

1 Like

In Mackay at the moment, and being a market without a local WIN News bulletin, I noticed that all Ten News updates are aired in the place of WIN updates.

This includes the weather updates from Ten News, which are entirely irrelevant to this market, as it only covers weather for the Brisbane area.

2 Likes

Seems WIN has Forgotten all about Mackay & the Withsundays, They should’ve Merged their Bulletin with those of Rockhampton, Change.org has a Re-Instate WIN News Mackay Campaign if you wanna sign it.

There would be a number of advertising deals that end on 30 June which would be the main reason for waiting until the end of the financial year.

It has a massive impact on WIN though, as TEN is their only programming source. TEN’s woes in the early 1990s led to massive cost cutting and cheap programming that killed affiliates like SCN and CTC. Anyone who remembers the cheap dating show Studs TEN put on weeknights in 1992 will know what I’m talking about.

WIN doesn’t make money by magic, nor does is make actual television. It’s only by piggy backing off networks that it exists in its current form at all.

4 Likes

If Ten goes down the road of producing cheap programming they will be in good company - just look at Seven and Nine’s current line-ups, filled with cheap things like First Dates UK, 20 to One, Britain’s Got Talent all with prime time timeslots. There isn’t anything to say that spending big on programs guarantees viewers anyway.

2 Likes

I can only imagine you’re too young to remember how bad Ten was in the early 90s. Studs, for example, was not a big show in the USA, barely making the cut to remain on air on Fox. Britain’s Got Talent is one of the biggest shows in the UK and First Dates is one of the most popular shows in Channel 4.

Whatever Seven is doing works - Ten wasted money on American programmes people don’t want to watch anymore which is what has crippled them, yet again.

6 Likes

That proves what I am saying. There are shows that can be purchased that are comparatively cheap and still hold down a prime time position in Australia. Seven and Nine’s schedules are full of cheap programs.

1 Like

This part of your post I agree with somewhat.
In this market, WIN is a complete TEN relay, just with the WIN logo plastered everywhere. Apart from that they don’t invest in any community events, or provide anything what so ever to the local community, not even news updates.

Whereas, obviously 7 do all that being O&O, but even SCA are more involved in the community in this market over WIN (which is something you couldn’t say about most other markets), at least here SCA provide local news updates (however crappy), and they do often sponsor a few local community events (with 9 logos used).

3 Likes

Compared to what? You didn’t make a comparison. I’m not talking about foreign programmes per se, just that Ten could only remain on air for five years by buying the cheapest possible television it could find - not the UK’s number one show (some weeks) - but a very, very cheap shows from the US’s lowest rating network.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I think we will see more of this as time goes by…

Us folks here in Nth NSW will soon get a taste of the future may look like, and I dare say it will probably be closer to the Mackay experience than the Wollongong experience (though most of Nth NSW should get the mandated local news updates).

3 Likes

Got Talent is not that bad.

1 Like

nearly a month in and still no signs of a re brand or re launch of any form on NRN

4 Likes