Nine (WIN)

Has WINs suite of channels been all choppy and glitchy to anyone else the last couple of days? I live in the Central West. It means I’ll miss HYBPA tonight!!!

I don’t think it’s that ridiculous.

Sure there may be some confused viewers in the short term, but I think long term there’ll be benefits for the networks (and viewers) with the ability to promote programs consistently on a national level on different platforms by having a consistent LCN structure again.

No Way on god’s earth. The 8’s are 9/NBN and with it getting the ratings numbers it does I cant see NBN giving it up unless forced by the ACMA but that won’t happen either. I reccon there’s a bigger chance of SCA & WIN being told to switch…Remember it was WIN & SCA who created that mess in the first place…9/NBN had nothing to do with it and if it became a legal battle 9/NBN would win it on that ground alone…

4 Likes

Actually, it was only WIN at fault. SCA approached them about switching LCNs, but WIN point blanc refused.

3 Likes

And once again my point, What did 9/NBN have to do with all this ??? Nothing and that from a Legal standpoint it’s where the discussion ends. If it ended up in front of a Judge the end result would be WIN & SCA being forced to change in every other market outside Northern NSW.

1 Like

Not necessarily. The judge may just rule to keep the status quo in recognition of the impacts on viewers, not to mention the tactical undertaking that an LCN swap would require. If anything were to be enforced, ACMA would’ve done it last year. Their inaction would support the case of not forcing a change back.

As I also said earlier, it’s not NINE/NBN’s problem that WIN and SCA didn’t swap LCNs !

It is easy to say to just swap so everything is in line country wide but even if SCA got the 8x range tomorrow you still have the problem of mismashed channels depending on region

Here’s an example for GEM - depending on where you are it can be found on 92, 90, 82, 52, 50 and so forth. So this idea of harmonising channels would require an overhaul yet again, and still would never be perfect as you’d still have your overlap areas.

1 Like

I just wish they’d align all the LCNs nationwide, so that no matter where you are, and who is providing the channel to you; if you want to watch 9Gem, you can find it on 92, whether you’re watching via SCA, NBN, Nine, Imparja, or WIN → whether it’s SD or HD.

Assign the use of the 1xx numbers in overlap regions, so that people on the Gold Coast can find 9HD on 90 and 190, ABC on 2 and 102, etc.

The current system is a pain when travelling.
I was in Brisbane last week, and coming from an SC9 market, I typed in “50” looking for 9HD without even thinking. It would be good if everywhere used the same LCNs

6 Likes

@NQCQTV2 See my full reply at the Digital TV Technical Discussion thread.

1 Like

May 31, this time next week is the date being confirmed where NRN will be rebranded from southern cross ten to WIN Television and the LCNs will stay exactly the same in the 5 range. https://www.dailyexaminer.com.au/news/win-acquires-rights-to-southern-cross-media-televi/3180724/

1 Like

It doesn’t say this at all.

It does say

No change to the programs… that doesn’t confirm or deny anything about the LCNs

3 Likes

Take note of @SydneyCityTV : You will notice a slight change in your viewing.

Apart from the fact you will now only receive 75% of the picture with the lower right quadrant taken up by your all new channel logos which are now in colour to really make sure you know which channel you’re watching and if you’re new to our country, on the main channel you get to see a map of our country just to make sure you feel included.

If you’re in Sydney, don’t worry, give it a year and all the country will probably get it once they buy Network Ten.

6 Likes

I think there will be … that boring hour of regional ‘news’, repeated a few times … a cooking show hosted by an overseas chef … a not bad fishing program … and numerous commercials for Crawford’s DVDs.

3 Likes

James Reeson is not bad.

Take a shot each time you see one in prime time. You’ll be shitfaced by the first ad break during The Project

6 Likes

We are bound to get inundated with those ads here in Nth NSW - since it’s a new region for WIN, and their biggest one.

No doubt they will be hoping for a spike in DVD sales since they will be new to us.

4 Likes

At least you’re not in a WIN monopoly area. Crawford’s ads air over every channel… that’s 11 channels!!

7 Likes

Yeah, count each time it comes up, I bet each one is an ad space they haven’t been able to sell!

2 Likes

O… M… G !!

I sincerely hope for the sanity of those viewers that WIN doesn’t use those great big solid WIN logos on 7TWO, 7mate, 9Go! and 9Gem (like they do with One and Eleven elsewhere).

Please say it ain’t so.

2 Likes