Nine (WIN)

Obviously mappy’s working…if they want to push viewers away!

4 Likes

Combine intrusive “watermarks” with Network Ten programs like The Biggest Loser: Transformed that rate appallingly in metropolitan markets and well…I think we all saw this coming.

Local news is pretty much the only advantage that WIN has now (especially in markets like their “home region” of Wollongong and the Illawarra) and even that probably won’t save the network once viewers start getting fully accustomed to the new regional editions of Nine News.

6 Likes

I’ve said a few times on here that I think there’s a good opportunity for networks to come good on some of their marketing fluff about the launches of their ad channels - and do full community channels.

WIN could get more or less free content from local groups and what remains of community TV - and fill the gaps with advertising, promos for WIN’s other channels - repeats and segments of local news, community billboards and all that other fluff.

Would be cheap to do, provide a community service - maybe get a handful of viewers - and provide an additional platform for expanding their local angles.

In prime time they could even experiment with things like local footy shows - the kind of content that will draw a loyal viewer base, but wouldn’t rate well enough to even be on WIN’s main channel.

5 Likes

Good ideas but if they’ll rate so low I can’t imagine them justifying the cost of making such programmes.

1 Like

The TV4ME venture on Seven and Prime was probably close to that sort of concept and they dropped it. Which was a shame because it had potential to be more than just an infomercial channel.

5 Likes

[quote=“TV-Expert, post:3366, topic:55, full:true”]with the main channel at single figures in Regional VIC, Tasmania & Regional WA.[/quote]Wow. They’re in single figures now. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised considering the low-quality, low-rating content on offer from their supplier in Ten currently. No doubt them driving some viewers away to other means just so they don’t have to see that “giant blue blob” on their favourite shows would be some sort of factor to consider too. They are so far off the pace it’s not funny.

5 Likes

With WIN falling into 4th place ratings wise in some regions, it makes perfect sense for SCA to sell NRN while they still can. At the rate TEN are going, Old Boy Bruce may well end up having to fully program his tawdry WIN network 24/7 like how he threatened to when he was affiliated with NINE which only ended up being bluff. Now the bluff might be on him in which he will have no choice!

4 Likes

Part of me would like to see how that would turn out. It might be possible, just without Bruce in charge.

Would also be interesting to see how Ten would get their programming to regional markets without an established affiliate…

Having a regional partner will be neither here or there for TEN after they have gone broke and faded to black going off the air. I can’t see how anyone would want to put money into TEN anymore?

1 Like

Ol’ Bruce would if it meant he could buy them up and bring the WIN brand into metro markets. God help us if that happens!

Ten needs to completely refocus. The Project (and perhaps Studio 10) is really all they have going for them. “What aspects The Project that can they apply to other programming?” is one of the questions they should be asking.

3 Likes

At that point the pressure would really ramp up on the federal parliament to ease up media ownership restrictions, at least abolishing the reach rule, at which point Bruce would buy Ten, mappy would be inflicted across the country, but WIN aren’t the ones to change Ten for the better to fit into today’s TV market.

Regardless of all that there isn’t a lot of better programming out there just waiting to be broadcast on Ten/WIN.
The question is what to do, what programming should be on the network, how to schedule it, and make the network profitable enough to keep going in a world of declining broadcast TV.

WIN may be able to keep afloat in the regional areas where streaming services aren’t a real option for so many because of Internet access even worse than the poor excuse for connectivity this government’s inferior NBN policies have left the majority of Australians with, but streaming, catchup, etc. is a reality for so many, Ten are way behind on that front, and WIN rather than embracing the reality of now (let alone the future) went to court trying to stop streaming.

1 Like

The folks that WIN have no idea ho two develop programming.
They’ve never bid for national sports, international formats. They’d on’t produce dreams, comedy, reality, soaps, variety.
They have no idea about marketing, branding. They don’t even have social media.

3 Likes

They’re using dirty feeds for one & 11; the original watermarks are hidden under WIN’s idiotic oversized solid shitstains; including the half obscured ten logo when there’s an on-screen promo for a programme on Ten.

Any word on the date that WIN take over NRN ? I had a good look at it last night & it’s still very much 10 Northern NSW

Presentation is appalling

WIN One currently has no cover-up because it’s sport.

WIN logic:

• WIN must always have a cover-up instead of a watermark, including sport.
  • WIN One and WIN Eleven must have a cover-up instead of a watermark, except sport.
7 Likes

You’d think live sport would be the multichannel content that WIN would like their branding exposed on the most!

Where’s that facepalm emoticon when you need it?

1 Like

Confused Jackie Chan will just have to suffice.

7 Likes

they didnt have win on one or eleven in the mornings

Have noticed they are similarly applying the normal metro watermarks during Home Shopping again too. They were using the coloured coverups (despite them not covering anything to start with) as of only a couple of days ago. These are appearing at the top not the usual place at the bottom.

Despite the previous jokes, maybe you really have to be Einstein to figure out their insane logic! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like