Nine (WIN)

My understanding is that there’s no extra bandwidth being used. It’s just an additional LCN pointing towards an existing broadcast.

6 Likes

The channel names don’t have that addition in Canberra, just as the Nine ones didn’t back in the dark days of the solid WIN GEM & WIN Go! shitstains.

I was surprised they weren’t covering up the Ten Eyewitness News bug and given it’s been so long - and WIN’s long-standing penchant for cover ups - my only guess is Ten put a clause in the affiliation agreement prohibiting it (presumably after seeing what WIN had done to 9News), but it’s not like Ten are big in news so I don’t know.

1 Like

There is nothing lost in the dual LCNs and lots to gain. No bandwidth is used, there is just a pointer. It is the same for 7/71, 9/91, 2/21 and 1/12. The benefit is that viewers who didn’t retune can still find their stations so 9Go is still available on its original home of 99 where probably most people look anyway. Additionally it give the networks sequential channel numbers 70-71-72-73 etc 10-11-12-13 etc.

win should relaise they will loose viewers will what they have done , sadly cant watch one or eleven because of what they have done and i found out they have lost a long time viewer who cant watch one any more coz of the awful watermarks , about time win tv looked at them selfs and thought about the viewer for once

Luckily for the viewers in those areas WIN’s Nine and Seven channels are WIN map free. I wonder if WIN has thoughts of putting the map on those channels too?

I’m guessing tenplay will be getting a bit more use in WIN’s coverage areas (it certainly will from me).

1 Like

WIN’s strategy after being dumped by Nine should have been to revamp their news services and strengthen their ties to the local community (but not by plastering mappy over screens) through more localised programming. Their news capabilities are much higher than what they are currently pumping out. Create a strong regional network so that if they ever were to take over Ten, the future would not look so dim.

I wonder if once old Bruce has kicked the can whether WIN will seek a new direction?

4 Likes

To me WIN seems to be a communist network lead by a dictorial leader, it’s citizens don’t like it but can’t do anything. So when the time comes, it’s citizens will rule once again!

To put in other words, yes

2 Likes

Communist or fascist, I don’t know, but some sort of totalitarian dictatorship seems to fit what we’re seeing. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve already turned to TenPlay for all my Ten programming since mappy came along.

Luckily I don’t ever watch One or Eleven, so won’t miss anything there.

5 Likes

Surprisingly, I don’t think they will

WIN in SA (and presuming Griffith/MIA) actually dropped the WINTEN branding around the time they reintroduced Nine programming (on WIN) back in 2009. Prior to that, the WIN channel was affiliated with Seven (2007-2009), and prior to the launch of WINTEN in 2004, WIN SA was a single channel pulling content from Seven, Nine and Ten

The only WIN material you see on the WIN Seven and WIN Nine channels are advertisements, usually sponsor boards or where WIN themselves are sponsoring an event. Otherwise the channels are all dirty feeds from SAS7 and NWS9.

(So in SA at least, the idea of Ten content being exclusively on WIN isn’t a new concept)

If people have the capacity to, sure

Unfortunately for a lot of people their internet doesn’t allow for it. So they’re stuck with mappy, no new multichannels (depending on region), etc etc

1 Like

I did read a post on here that WIN SA7 was using a modded version of the Nine sponsor board after the contract expires

Yes that was me and it was during the Rio Olympics. I haven’t seen it since and did not manage to cap it unfortunately. In this case a generic WIN sponsorboard for use over the different channels doesn’t hurt

Just watched a little bit of WIN Eleven.

Not only is the "water"mark terrible.

The PRG is shocking. The actual dirty feed Eleven is WAY bigger than the coverup 11 during the PRG. Combined with the animation of the PRG, it’s just shocking.

5 Likes

[quote=“WAtvVideos, post:3322, topic:55, full:true”]
WIN would need to be in breach of something for ACMA to act on a complaint. As far as I can tell, the only thing WIN are in breach of is being a pain in the arse.
[/quote]If only there was some sort of rulings in place that prevent certain networks (i.e. WIN) from displaying ghastly “watermarks” (shitstains in WIN’s case) upon their viewers. If there was WIN would have been in breach of this for close to two decades now.

If only there were more stations out there like SCTV that still provide a mostly watermark-free* service for their viewers

*exception for their multichannels so as not to add viewer confusion.

2 Likes

On the week of 19-25 March, WIN’s main channel has fallen to 4th in Regional QLD, but still maintains 3rd position in network shares. It is 4th in both main channel & network shares everywhere else, including the newly acquired Northern NSW market (still currently under SCA), with the main channel at single figures in Regional VIC, Tasmania & Regional WA.

Source: RegionalTAM

6 Likes

4th… behind ABC?
WOW!

1 Like

im not surprised

watch this space is all I can say

Know something we.dont?