Nine (WIN)

Lol time has gone too quickly. Not a regular watcher of that show, but I left the TV on 10 last night and woke up to hearing it on this morning, then I turned over to WIN and it was on too. I live in a crossover market. Usually watch 10 instead of WIN…ugh those coverups!

2 Likes

Where do you source that TV Guide? @WAtvVideos

1 Like

It’s a personal project I’ve been working on for a while. It’s still a work in progress so I’m aware of the bugs

http://xmlepg.net/grid.php

You may be interested in the Groups which are at the bottom of the bouquets list. These are what I use to compare metro guides to regional guides.

13 Likes

Thank you. Its a very handy service to have, great job!

1 Like

That’s awesome. I’ve just bookmarked it :slight_smile:

8 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: XMLEPG / Australian TV Channel List

With all this affiliation confusion going on, I feel like it would be so much simpler if WIN just became a separate channel in regional Australia.

1 Like

What does that mean? It needs programming and the only way it can reliably do that is to align with one of the metropolitan networks.

13 Likes

Thanks. Please direct questions to the dedicated thread so we’re not going too far off topic.

6 Likes

so the alternate is to have 1 news local markets, the journos will become lazy. Competition breeds a better quality news service, places like Orange Wollongong and Wagga will only have 1 news and i would be concerned by this if i was working for that newsroom, nothing stopping WIN and Prime slowly reducing the budgets for them

2 Likes

There just ain’t the money to properly pay for competing news services unlike the US when you’re paying almost 50% in affiliation fees.

The ironic thing is the US system encourages local news and content, as when a station airs local news they get to keep 100% of the ad revenue booked in that broadcast.

When they air network programming they have to share the revenue with the network

Knowing that 6-7 Is the most watched and most profitable hour on aussie TV, If Australia had the US system - stations would be highly incentivized to air local News between 6 and 7 - as they wouldn’t have to pay 50% of revenue to the parent network

Ive always maintained this is the best and fairest way to encourage local content on Australian tv

12 Likes

Bruce knows how it works too.

I Don’t know why the CEOs of SCA, Prime and WIN have not looked to the thriving US model and taken this idea to the table when they negotiate with the networks. If SCA, Prime and WIN had a unified approach on this matter - the networks would not have much choice

2 Likes

He’s giving Nine 50% of revenue airing in WIN News, his own programming.

When WIN is airing ACA or Lego masters that make sense - as they’re effectively paying for the content with 50% of revenue.

But when he airs WIN He’s effectively paying Nine for his own programming

4 Likes

That would be illegal; cartels - competitors getting together to set prices (or otherwise collude) - are prohibited.

Regulation would be needed to force that reasonable approach, making any non-network time excluded from the revenue sharing agreement.

1 Like

News is not a requirement anywhere in Australia. It was used as cheap filler to meet Aussie quota needs by SCA before 2016, and Prime and WIN have news as an easier production than a drama or other type of content.

The metro’s aren’t even required to have a news service.

If they went to the US model, they wouldn’t be running News.

… local news is not “cheap” … per hour, it is the single most expensive item of programming on any regional television station …

4 Likes

And also the most important element of any regional television station.

4 Likes

Aren’t regional stations required to have local content? And news content earns 4 times as many points (and probably 25 times as many ratings points) as other types of content

That in effect makes it a requirement almost

And for some stations when you look at the lift local news gives a whole station (7 QLD, NBN Newcastle, 7 Perth, 7 Tasmania) from a financial point of view local news is a requirement

2 Likes