Nine (WIN)

Don’t say that, WIN would be likely to put it over the face of the presenters

2 Likes

I wonder how different the TV landscape in Northern NSW (and the rest of Australia) if TWT had of purchased NRN11/RTN8 at the same time that TWT purchased DDQ0/SDQ4 - including the outcome of events such as the 2007 and 2015-16 affiliation negotiations with Nine, plus who would have been the current owner of NBN TV, given the arrangements with WIN at the time of the Nine purchase of NBN TV

1 Like

Not sure if it has been mentioned before. WIN has closed its Toowoomba production unit with three employees deciding to leave the broadcaster.

1 Like

Another mappy watermark shown on Bathurst 1000. Probably mr Bruce Gordon is laughing out loud for his watermarks

1 Like

Griffith Business Directory:

Seven Griffith billboard:

Nine Griffith billboards:

5 Likes

Looking at the Regional TAM ratings, and it’s interesting to see how Sky News on WIN rates in various regional markets over September & into early October.

Regional QLD is, by far, the best performing market for Sky News on WIN, often rating above ABC News channel. The channel performs quite poorly in all other regional markets, in which ABC News channel rates well ahead of Sky News on WIN.

4 Likes

The WIN brand won’t be inflicted on Ten branded multi-channels. Some of you seem to have forgotten WIN had no issues using Channel Nine branding when they were largely a Nine affiliate.

Erm - they went through extensive periods of blocking any mention of Nine, doing things like playing their own production enders over the top of Nine’s ones, calling Nine News “National News” in the EPG to avoid mentioning Nine’s name, covering up the Nine logo in News and Sporting coverage, covering up the entire bottom bar on the Today show and more.

vlcsnap-2018-10-20-18h22m30s242
winmainland_sportwatermark

9Life was a rare exception, they went on calling the other channels just ‘Go!’ and ‘Gem’ even continuing to use their old logos in many places to avoid the dots.

There was seemingly a slight pull back on that stuff towards the end of their affiliation - as despite all that WIN likely really didn’t want to end up as a Ten affiliate - but it was absolutely not the norm from the decade prior of being aggressive in blocking out Nine’s branding.

15 Likes

I was referring to the 9 multi-channel branding.
Obviously WIN has always tried to maintain their own image on their main channel. I would too if I was paying nearly half of my revenue to another company.
They’ve been using their own bugs for over 20 years, way before the 2007 affiliation debacle.

There was never any attempt at re-producing 9Go! 9Gem and 9Life promos to remove the 9 v/o or dots.
I believe the random use of the old logos was a playout issue. SCA have the same issue with the old logos appearing time to time as well.

1 Like

The only time they’ve modified multi-channel promos was way back when GO! launched. They tacked on their mappy logo on all the GO! promo enders. No cover-ups, just WIN mappy next to the GO! logo. It didn’t last long at all. Someone on MS back in the day said they got in trouble for it (could have been speculation or assumption, but I recall it was from a Wollongong insider who was on the forums at the time)

I don’t think they were errors. When GO! relaunched as 9Go!, WIN started showing new idents that they hadn’t previously shown and were mashups from old promos and contained only the old ident.

Blatant removal of dots here:

I’d believe it was all innocent errors if WIN didn’t have a history of shitting on the Nine brand so much. Yes other networks play old idents (SC Nine in SA showing the 2009 Welcome Home ident up until recently, WIN 7 still showing old 7 sponsor boards, etc), but when you consider WIN’s past and their disdain for dots (Perth/Adelaide are prime examples) it was clearly part of their fucked up anti-Nine strategy.

9 Likes

Correct, and also don’t forget that 9Life was just named “LIFE” on the EPG for its entire run with WIN.

4 Likes

To this day WIN still have the EPG names as GEM and GO

Granted they were the original names for these channels but they’re not calling the Seven channels TWO and MATE

2 Likes

Anyone having issues with the EPG for the WIN Network? Here in TAS, it’s fine until Sat 6am, then only the main channel and nothing else. And it doesn’t look like it’s been updated either, still has This is Us 9.30pm Thur for example.

It’s fine on my Fetch box in Canberra.

Thanks. I’m not sure what the issue is.

Full EPG in WA, too.

I asked my DVR to find the programming, it happily found Eleven’s programming but only some of One’s.
And it changed This Is Us’ timeslot too.

2 Likes

Don’t have any equipment with me to verify but WIN SA is broadcasting something on channel 54 - only showing on some televisions.

Channel name and EPG is Sky News on WIN but nothing showing on the channel. MPEG2 not MPEG4.
Belongs to WIN NINE MUX. Doesn’t disappear with rescans. Possibly 9LIFE return?

Also 7TWO has moved from 66 to 62.

2 Likes

Is 9Go! still on 55? Would be strange to move the Seven channels but not the Nine ones.

1 Like

Yes

NINE 5
GEM 50
Unknown 54
GO! 55

Seven 6
7MATE 60
7TWO 62