Nine (WIN)

now i don’t know if this can be discussed or not . but i think win should be worried . win tv ratings including the multi channels aren’t doing the best compared to channel 10 in the metro markets sometimes abc beats win tv . maybe if win didn’t have there solid water marks this could change … thoughts???

I’d like to think that the coloured blobs on WIN, One and Eleven are turning viewers away, though I’m not sure that ratings would improve if they made them more like TENs watermarks.

1 Like

The watermark is one of many facts, but I think part of it is the delivery of WIN programs and variations. WIN has dropped some shows for independently sourced programs without offering the dropped programs at an alternative time or on an alternative channel (such as midday to 3pm weekdays on 11 in metro areas varying from WIN regions).

Also consider inconsistency in programming and moving programs around such as Days Of Our Lives started at 1pm weekdays on 11 and Young And The Restless at 1:55pm, then WIN moved DOOL to 3:30pm weekdays on the main channel and Y&R to 1pm, only to revert to original arrangements a few weeks later.

Or the atrocious decision to air a 30 year old mini series on the main channel in prime time last November (Shaka Zulu) - something that probably should have either been on a secondary channel or in the early hours of the morning

Another issue I find is AAN is encored at 7:30am weekday mornings - I think if an encore was to air on the main channel, it should have been at 6am on the back of CBS This Morning. Now the new proposed SKY news progam (from 6am) in the morning could go either way as to whether or not it will attract viewers.

3 Likes

I’m sure WIN’s viewership will be thrown into chaos :joy:

There was a succession of ancient miniseries on Saturday night! WIN still has Bergerac and 'Allo 'Allo! on One on Saturday night.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Sky News on WIN

Discussion about Sky News on WIN can be done in the new dedicated thread.

1 Like

TVSN is now in MPEG 4; Sky News is still MPEG 4.

Bit rates in Queensland.

8 WIN 2.86

80 WIN HD 4.56 MPEG 4

81 ONE 4.73

82 Eleven 4.20

83 Sky News 0.67 MPEG 4

84 TVSN 1.79 MPEG 4

85 Gold 0.92 MPEG 4

1 Like

Wonder why the bitrate is so high for ONE with Eleven not far behind? Seems strange when the main channel in SD is so low.

2 Likes

It’s can be a reflection of the program content on each channel e.g. Ultimate Fighter - fast action - was on ONE when the measurement was made. Theoretically viewers could watch WIN HD if possible. It is what many suggest all networks do i.e., encourage switching to MPEG 4 HD by providing poor quality SD on the main channel.

4 Likes

Didn’t think of it that way, interesting. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, good to see if that’s the case. Will probably reduce on the multi’s once SNOW launches

2 Likes

Considering how poor quality WIN’s SD channels are by default I’d be using the HD version wherever possible!

2 Likes

Bit rates tonight in Queensland.

8 WIN 3.49
80 WIN HD 5.22 MPEG 4
81 ONE 3.21
82 Eleven 4.67
83 Sky News 0.80 MPEG 4
84 TVSN 1.57 MPEG 4
85 Gold 1.34 MPEG 4

3 Likes

Maybe the bit rate for ONE and ELEVEN on WIN is the same as that of the corresponding channels in Network Ten broadcast areas, while the bitrate of WIN is downgraded during the process of taking Ten from the metro broadcaster.

You’d think Sky News on WIN will likely be at more than 0.8mbps when it’s running full programming rather than just a placeholder loop? Because it’s pretty shocking to think it’s currently got less bandwidth allocated than TVSN (which has almost twice as much as SNoW) or GOLD!

1 Like

I’m thinking a switch to MPEG 2 tomorrow with associated need to increase bitrate substantially plus for Gold and TVSN to drop their bit rates.

1 Like

Bit rates last night in Queensland.

8 WIN 3.49
80 WIN HD 5.22 MPEG 4
81 ONE 3.21
82 Eleven 4.67
83 Sky News 0.80 MPEG 4
84 TVSN 1.57 MPEG 4
85 Gold 1.34 MPEG 4

Now

8 WIN 4.08
80 WIN HD 5.50 MPEG 4
81 ONE 3.34
82 Eleven 2.82
83 Sky News 2.61 MPEG 4
84 TVSN 1.00 MPEG 4
85 Gold 1.05 MPEG 4

6 Likes

Newcastle advertising promo:

3 Likes

Read: no one is advertising on our channel. PLEASE BUY ADS ON OUR CHANNEL.

8 Likes