Nine (WIN)

That’s true, especially if when Bruce Gordon passes away, if his family does with WIN what James Packer and co did with Nine (and PBL) after Kerry Packer passed away

4 Likes

Correct.

But who to? Aside from the joint ventures in Darwin and Central Australia, and Southern Cross in SA, WIN is the only regional broadcasters of Ten. Southern Cross have already shown they don’t want the NRN licence. Unless a new player were to come in (which is highly unlikely), Ten/CBS would be the only party that could possibly be interested in the licence - but surely they’d want more than just the NNSW licence if they were going to expand into regional markets - more like the whole of the Eastern States at a minimum.

4 Likes

Would CBS care about buying WIN? In the US they have their national network, and own broadcasters in many cities, but seem quite happy with affiliates in other cities. Those affiliates then give distinct local feels to those areas.

It’s interesting that CBS has a joint venture (in the US) with one of it’s biggest affiliates, for a multichannel. CBS themselves had owned 1/3 of TEN’s Channel 11, so something along that line, if WIN has an interest.

Similarly CBS might opt to split their efforts into “CBS” channel and a “TEN” channel, basically with standard CBS content on the first, and Australian content on the second. WIN might ask for a bigger voice in the Australian channel.

We just don’t know what CBS will do, but they’ll be thinking through the options.
(edit: If they buy Ten)

2 Likes

Well it is hard to say, but NBN was owned by SP Telemedia until 2007 when PBL purchased NBN. The price paid was $250 million by PBL, $80 million above the estimated $170 million at the time and $90 million above Bruce Gordon’s offer for NBN Television.

If CBS was to turn Ten’s fortunes around and boost it to either second or first in the ratings, then an affiliation agreement with TEN would be gold, but again, it may come down to Bruce Gordon’s pride versus what may be in his best interests. But that said WIN may be swallowed up by CBS in years to come, once Bruce Gordon passes away.

CBS is the number one network in the US, and is the home of shows such as Big Bang Theory and daytime soaps Bold and Beautiful and Young and the Restless

As my above NBN television example showed, CBS may be willing to pay a premium for WIN in the same way PBL paid a premium for NBN TV.

3 Likes

If CBS were to turn Ten around, they’d be better off to hit Bruce for higher affiliation fees than hand him a premium price for an asset he’s done nothing to improve the value of.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Network Ten post-CBS

And if Bruce didn’t want to pay higher affiliation fees, it may end up that he carries through with his 2007 threat of seeking to have paramount pictures supply the bulk of his programing

I hope that’s unlikely now…
Doesn’t Viacom (Paramount Pictures’ parent company) have content licensing agreement with Stan & Nine?
Also, CBS & Viacom have some sort of shared licensing arrangement for Star Trek.

I could see CBS buying out WIN, but that would only be if they were causing them too much grief and they were sick of having the lawyers on speed dial. It might just be cheaper to offer Bruce enough money to see him sail off in the distance and then CBS could have full control over the country.

Time to update the logo?

23 Likes

In the Riverland WIN still manages the Nine network transmission (albeit not the main channel and branded as “Nine” not WIN).

4 Likes

Maybe it’s being sponsored by WIN Carribean? :grin:

http://wincaribbean.net/

11 Likes

I saw this in Brisbane today, Win Network Sport (whatever that is?) logo next to 7 Local News.

8 Likes

Imagine looking out the rear view mirror to see what’s behind you in traffic. With that WIN sticker on the window, it’ll be like watching WIN TV from the comfort of your vehicle.

16 Likes

Has that disgusting mappy logo been reduced in size slightly, I was just showing my mate why WIN coming to town was such horrible nightmare, he coming from Melbourne is glad not to be living regionally.

4 Likes

I try my best to avoid WIN even whilst channel surfing to be honest, but I doubt the size has been reduced.

If anything, I’d be fully expecting mappy and co to get a massive upgrade in the coming days to make it even more intrusive so that Dinosaur Bruce can vent out his frustrations on losing his Ten bid - unfortunately his poor viewers will get punished (yet again). :persevere:

Sort of a way in Bruce’s world on getting revenge at his viewers expense.
IMG_1014

And the old dickhead is too stupid to realise it’s costing him viewers, therefore ratings, therefore $$

7 Likes

Too stupid or he simply just doesn’t care (I’d pick the latter). Either way his viewers (the few that remain glued to his famous blue, green and purple stained channels) continue getting subjected to it due to his giant ego.

4 Likes

Is he really the one making the final call though? He’s an arrogant bull I know that but everything about WIN screams amateur

Yes. Someone who used to work at WIN posted on this forum when the mappy dramarama reached its peak, saying that the solid map’s introduction coincided with Bruce being in town for the staff Christmas party, and that similar events had happened in the past.

So my impression is that Bruce spends 11.5 months a year in Bermuda, and then sweeps into the Illawarra like a misguided cyclone, barking commands.

7 Likes