Nine (WIN)

Would it have mattered if WIN didn’t take nine to court on attempting to stop 9now from showing in regional areas meaning that WIN would have lost the rights to show 9 network programs anyway?

I would attribute 95% of that result to the poor performance of Ten. Win’s national result usually seems to be rough the same as Ten’s audience share. By contrast Southern Cross always seemed to rate lower than Ten’s metro share. Same thing seems to be happening with its Nine affiliation as well while Seven affiliates rate higher than Seven.

2 Likes

I came across WIN’s Twitter account and looked at the branding depicted in the profile pic and header. What the hell is their logo??? The pic had a dark glossy blue WIN HD logo. Then there’s the Blue and white 9-affiliation style mappy, Light blue WIN logo, Light blue WIN logo HD, WIN logo in the ten circle, WIN Logo in the ten circle HD, WIN mappy in those entertaining Australia ads, and the different color used in the WIN NEWS logo! What the actual heck? I know this has been mentioned before, but surely one can’t be that confused about their identity?

9 Likes

This post on the WIN News thread has a link to a new photograph of Bruce Gordon. He is looking well.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/18342695_10209060093644040_5772706850300387575_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=2d71aee85f8eb9b1f982f5b491e42138&oe=59BC36DC

4 Likes

[Edit:] Looking good? How he looks made me think of this guy…

Perhaps he saw mappy & his shitstains on one & 11…

…Good…good…let the hate flow through you.

:stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: WIN News

A reminder that all WIN News specific posts belong in their own thread

1 Like

Has anyone else in Melbourne had WIN show up in their channel list? I still have a TiVo and although there’s no signal on the channel it’s showing both SD and HD in the channels list.

Not for me.
I remember a while ago though that I received both Prime7 and WIN. Was an interesting moment :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve known of some TVs to pick up the Gippsland channels, particularly more towards the Bayside suburbs - but only enough for the channels to make it into the channel list - not for the channel to actually be viewable, the same as in your case.
I’d imagine some Northern and Western suburbs may be able to pickup regional signals similarly as well.

1 Like

According to RegionalTAM ratings for the week of 30 April-6 May, as I’ve predicted last week, WIN did improve on its ratings share on the week of Masterchef’s premiere. It went up enough for WIN to finish at 3rd in both main channel & network shares in QLD & VIC, but still finish at 4th in both main channel & network shares in Southern NSW/ACT, TAS & WA.

1 Like

SCA has notified the ASX that WIN’s purchase of SCA’s northern NSW television assets and operations for $55m will be completed effective 31 May.

All necessary conditions are expected to be satisfied for completion of the sale to take place with effect from 31 May 2017.

The sale proceeds of $55m are available in two instalments: $45m on completion and $10m on the first anniversary.

8 Likes

So it means that SC Ten Northern NSW will change the branding name to WIN Telension from may 31 or July 1? Would it affect LCN numbers in that market or not?

As previously discussed WIN will very likely have to use the 5x range, there’s no way Nine will swap NBN’s channel range for WIN’s benefit

I’m sure WIN will want to get their branding on the station pretty quickly, but from the viewers perspective the only change is the name and the channels being renumbered from the mess they are now to the same as WIN elsewhere except on the 5 range.

2 Likes

And the Mappy shitstain

4 Likes

Which we’ve all come to know and love :rolling_eyes:

Behind the scenes there will be more going on, but for the viewer, the name will change from (Southern Cross) Ten to WIN, they will lose Aspire and gain GOLD, and the channel numbers are likely to be reorganised. Really all minor changes.

3 Likes

Despite the “no changes to the programs that viewers will see on their televisions” claims by WIN, there are at least some programing changes (even if only relatively minor in the grand scheme of things) Northern NSW should expect to see from NRN:

*Acropolis Now instead of Malcolm In The Middle at 7pm weeknights.
*The addition of WIN productions like Fishing Australia and Alive & Cooking (WIN still produces and airs new episodes of those shows, right?).
*With the mandated local news requirements, the current SCA-produced “Ten Local News Headlines” Updates will probably end in favour of WIN News Updates.
*Possibly airings of WIN’s All Australian News across the main channel (+HD), One and Eleven.

Of course Aspire will be replaced by GOLD and channel numbers will likely be reorganised. Not to mention those infamous “watermarks” across the main channel, One & Eleven.

It’ll be interesting to see how the rebrand from Ten to WIN (Good lord this sounds like such a backwards step, the affiliation switch has already weakened the Network Ten brand regionally and it’s going to become even more irrelevant) goes, but that’s about it really.

4 Likes

What’s interesting is that Ten was the first metro TV brand to have expanded into regional areas, first with Capital in Canberra/Southern NSW using the then ‘X’/‘10 TV Australia’ logo with the ‘Capital’ name underneath before going with its own logo. Then in the 90s, the Ten brand expanded into more regional markets, which included Capital becoming Ten Capital. Since last year, the Ten brand has been replaced by WIN & is soon expanding into Northern NSW.

Now, in an interesting twist, the Nine brand, in which most of its affiliate stations in most parts of Regional Australia were branded as WIN prior to last year’s affiliation switch, has become the most common commercial TV brand across Australia, with Imparja being the only Nine affiliate not to use the full Nine branding.

6 Likes
1 Like

Is this on the main channel?