WIN News

Would explain why Wollongong based, Melissa Russell, is anchoring sport on the Queensland bulletins…

1 Like

They must have 3 studios there

1 Like

When Bruce Gordon buys Ten the five capital city news bulletins will also move to Wollongong? :open_mouth:

7 Likes

Haha! One national bulletin with 30 minute local tack-ons for the capital cities.

3 Likes

How about 30 minutes of local news and 30 minutes of national news for regional markets, and 30 minutes of national news for capital cities with noodle news updates throughout the day? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It’s not like that hasn’t been done before. They axed bulletins roughly a decade ago which gave Southern Cross complete and utter control of the market.

Not that I would want them to do this don’t get me wrong, but I’m surprised it hasn’t already happened to be honest (axing of the Tasmanian News service altogether that is) as barely anyone watches it as it is. I think they’d axe the lot before moving it Wollongong personally.

4 Likes

Source?

Has Lincoln come south, or has Melissa moved north?

1 Like

The desk change supports the move south theory, but everything i’m finding on social media would suggest to me that Melissa moved north.

1 Like

I had a bit of a look around social media and thought the same.

1 Like

Definitely. It was a massive mistake shifting the local News to the earlier slot of 5.30pm after FF and the dropping of Ten Melbourne News once the switch of affiliation to Ten commenced (a mistake they continue to make with the weekend bulletins still at 5.30pm to this day for unknown reasons).

Yes, they did reinstate their weekend services eventually but the damage had already been done by that stage. Southern Cross had captured the viewers wanting local news along with the clever advertising they put in place almost immediately after WIN cut the bulletins.

2 Likes

Which in itself was an odd decision as Ten Melbourne News rated extremely well all things considered when on TDT. Deciding to not continue airing it when WIN took over the affiliation was a silly decision I think as it could’ve provided a solid lead to the local news right from the get-go. It certainly would’ve been the better option rather than repeat Family Feud.

2 Likes

I recorded WIN News Western Victoria yesterday, here is a montage of the bulletin:

5 Likes

Thanks Brad. Interesting to see they still include those prerecorded ‘national news headline’ crosses to Lucy from the Tasmanian “Newsroom”.

Another thing I noticed during the weather segment is the HD add-on part of the watermark is present (it’s hard to tell when the news bug is there, but I assume it’s there for the entire duration of the bulletin?).

Don’t tell me that’s like this all the time? Pure laziness if so. :expressionless:

4 Likes

Yeah, I noticed that too considering WIN News Tas no longer do the national bulletins.

SOmething else I noticed from Lucy there and noticing more in the media these days is the use of the word “cop”. So Lucy mentioned about “cop cars” being rammed, I know that’s we refer to them as colloquially but I would have thought professionally it would still be Police cars.

3 Likes

*Except for weekends. They still remain a composite local/national bulletin here.
Can you imagine them trying to fill weekend bulletins with just local news? They’d be lots of cute animal (cats are a favourite for them I’ve recently noticed) reports! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mind you, I’ve noticed recently that even their “strictly local” weekday bulletins are being filled with re-airings of Ten’s national packages (this probably more to do with on very slow local news days but still).

1 Like

No headlines tonight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBWOK_04Xvs

Apparently WIN News NSW/ACT were having technical problems.

4 Likes

and your got cw news. And no sport and weather presenter

1 Like

Saw a comment on Win News Canberra’s Facebook page. Someone said that they rang Win and were told that there had been an error in what bulletin was showing.

4 Likes

coughs

Can you ring WIN these days…

2 Likes