WIN News

If this is true, I’m curious about the logistics with producing all these bulletins out of Wollongong. Wouldn’t they need another studio to handle everything? Otherwise they’ll recording some bulletins at 10am.

2 Likes

You’d think they would need another 2 studios to be able to do all the Qld bulletins as now.

2 Likes

With luck, Nine will have the smarts to snap up some of those freshly unemployed staff for their new QLD bulletins.

5 Likes

Which I believe will be presented by former WIN news readers Paul Taylor and Samantha Heathwood (can anyone confirm?)

Just Samantha Heathwood.

Very coincidental timing with Nine’s new regional bulletins looking like they will start around that time too.

So let me get this straight. WIN News is planning on moving the production of it’s six local news bulletins for Regional Queensland from the Sunshine Coast to Wollongong, at a time that Nine is preparing to launch local news bulletins for Regional Queensland which will be produced in Brisbane.

All that is going to do is provide Seven and Nine with some strong promotional ammunition. I can just imagine the slogans such as “Local news for Queensland, made in Queensland” right now!

To give you an idea of how ridiculous the possibility of Regional Queensland getting local news produced from Wollongong is, I’ve taken it to Google Maps/Earth! :open_mouth:

10 Likes

Wow! An interesting development!
If true, that is going to be a logistical nightmare for WIN.

I can’t see all of the QLD bulletins surviving if they do this.

1 Like

I wonder if some of those to-be-sacked personnel had already jumped ship to Nine, and maybe that - along with cutbacks required as a result of Ten’s poorer ratings & paying for the purchase of Ten Northern NSW - means some of WIN’s Qld bulletins will be cancelled or at least consolidated.

1 Like

Re, people jumping ship to Nine: Isn’t a former Sports presenter for WIN News Queensland who left last year planning to be part of Nine’s new service for Regional Queensland? If so, there’s another familiar name/face for viewers up there along with Samantha Heathwood.

In any case, it would be rather interesting to see who’d present the Queensland editions of WIN News if production moves to Wollongong.

I could imagine the Cairns & Townsville bulletins being merged into a single North Queensland bulletin, and maybe also a combined Sunshine Coast/Wide Bay bulletin? Rockhampton and Toowoomba/Darling Downs would have to remain standalone services though.

3 Likes

With the latest rumours in regards to WIN moving production of its QLD bulletins to Wollongong, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the bulletins from NSW/VIC that are underperforming against Prime7 and/or Nine would be axed, such as Central West, Riverina & Albury/Wodonga (where it’s a distant 3rd behind Prime7 & Nine). The future of all other VIC bulletins would probably be under threat as well, as I would imagine Nine News would be outperforming WIN News across most of the state.

3 Likes

If WIN News wants to keep viewers, especially with the channel’s declining ratings, they need to go for a refreshed format and try to change the way that their news is presented. More upbeat bulletins with content that will attract local viewers; study what Prime7 (and now Nine) are doing well and try to replicate and improve on it.

4 Likes

Given that Queensland has had 3 different anchors this year, it really wouldn’t surprise me if they change the anchor again.

2 Likes

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: What a crazy idea for WIN. They’ll even go out of business for that.

not in Shepparton they won’t! Goulburn Valley viewers would prefer a local bulletin (which WIN does) than a 80% Albury/NE Vic 20% Goulburn Valley (SC Nine) any day!

2 Likes

Yes, I realise that WIN has a dedicated Goulburn Valley bulletin as opposed to an Albury-centric bulletin that is being screened on Nine Shepparton. With that in mind, I think in the worst case scenario, WIN’s Goulburn Valley bulletin would be the most likely of their VIC bulletins to survive.

Maybe they’ll launch a new set/chroma key. They’ll need a new studio space wouldn’t they?

1 Like

What’s a ‘reliable rumour’ ?
I feel WIN won’t make big decisions until media ownership laws are sorted one way or another.
It would make more sense to consolidate at TVQ - if move at all

12 Likes

How will they know unless Wollongong tells them each night . . . with the Qld reader coming out of a studio ‘somewhere’ else - with the same Qld journo’s reporting Qld stories from Qld locations . . . same situation as the Victorian move to the Wollongong studios . . . I don’t know, but I don’t think viewers really care about the exact location that their news is broadcast from, only that their stories are their own.

5 Likes

Queenslanders are a very different breed… Like the West Australians we’re quite parochial. I think you’ll find it’ll be all in the local papers if they move so it will be widely known that the news will be coming from Wollongong.

4 Likes