WIN News

As has been said numerous times in the Nine (SCA) & WIN TV threads and here, no one can force that and WIN are in the wrong:
The published standard says 8 series LCNs are for the Nine affiliate, 5 for the Ten affiliate and 6 for Seven affiliate.
WIN refused to swap with SCA and so WIN’s existing areas are contrary to the standard, while Nthn NSW is correct (complying with the standard).

Prior to July 2016, when affiliations have changed the station owners have done the right thing and swapped channel numbers. WIN decided instead to confuse viewers to try to keep their ratings up a bit following their change (from Nine) to less desirable (Ten) programming.

No one will now want to change:
Nine certainly wouldn’t want a whole bunch of their viewers who are used to pressing 8/80/81/82/etc. for Nine’s channels to suddenly see Ten/WIN channels there, and after how they behaved, why would Nine want to help WIN?

WIN created this problem by doing the wrong thing last year & deliberately confusing viewers for their own temporary benefit, now they can live with this consequence.

5 Likes

Well they could just broadcast their channels with the 8x LCNs - it’s the individual transmission that decides what number to assign, there’s nothing technical that stops them from just using the wrong set.

I think it was the right decision not to swap - not because WIN might have benefited - but because receivers are awful, and networks trying to swap LCN sets would have left a total mess for viewers - some of who would have needed a factory reset to get the right set on the right channels.

Just changing the content and not the channel numbers meant that you didn’t have one set of people watching WIN on 5 and another watching them on 8.

1 Like

Except that the way you say it there was no retuning required at 1 July 2016, and that’s not true.
Nine has more channels than Ten.
Either TVs did auto-retune to pick up the changed LCNs/channels (and some of them still changed), or they needed to be manually retuned to update.

1 Like

I’m sure there are plenty of people out there missing channels because of the change - or who still have the channels labelled as ‘SC10’.

I’m certain it would have been a mess if they attempted a swap.

If those model TVs haven’t updated, how many are right now showing SC9 programmes on them with old LCN labels “SC10…”, “ELEVEN”, “ONE”, etc. and Ten programmes on “GEM” “Go!”, “LIFE”?

That reminds me, I stayed in Leonora, near Kalgoorlie, in October last year. The town is fed by a council-owned transmitter. I checked on 2 motel TV’s and at the local pub and all the WIN channels were still named WIN, GEM, GO with TVSN as LIFE. Nine channels were named TEN, ONE and ELEVEN.

4 Likes

[quote=“WAtvVideos, post:1697, topic:214”]
All the WIN channels were still named WIN, GEM, GO with TVSN as LIFE. Nine channels were named TEN, ONE and ELEVEN.
[/quote]And that doesn’t help with the confusion around the new Nine Regional News and where to find it.
The networks really should have encouraged people to retune their TVs like when they did the restack a few years ago.

2 Likes

Probably a few more than you and I would imagine, especially outside areas where SCA and WIN are both present

Examples:

• Viewers who don’t have MPEG4 equipment. They couldn’t see what was on 84 before and they can’t see whats on 54 now

• Viewers who don’t watch the multi channels

• WIN SA - 9LIFE was never returned(!!!) after the affiliation swap. TVSN has filled channel 84. Ch83 and 86 would just say No Service. Otherwise all the existing WIN channels on the 8x range are occupied. And NINE programming has been moved to the same 5x channels that TEN, ONE and ELEVEN were previously broadcast on. So there has been no need to reprogram if not done already

None of the above has had an effect on where WIN News is. Just where… every single other thing has gone

With metro brands being adopted by regional nets, they should consider just allowing regionals to use the LCN of their metrocounterpart and then set a date. Get some ads on air warning of the change and a hotline up and running.

SC9 goes to LCN 9 and so forth.

5 Likes

I agree. Maybe the overlaps could go in the 900 range.

Overlaps would stay as 5, 6 and 8 ranges.

Here is an idea, take it or leave it:

5:00pm

• Family Feud
    5:30pm
  • WIN EYEWITNESS NEWS
    With Bruce Roberts
    Let’s face it, WIN NEWS is pretty stale, and too dark for 6pm. What about having a presenter infront of a TV wall? Give it a an edge over the others. Oh and in HD too, full Ten Eyewitness News graphics also.
    6:00pm
  • WIN NATIONAL NEWS
    Anchored By Amy Duggan and Geoff Phillips
    With SC9 Ditching the metropolitan bulletin, we are left with half arsed regional standard bulletins. Now this bulletin will have to be top notch, and WIN is capable of it. Pull out a desk infront of the video wall, and now you have a clean modern set. People like to watch News at 6pm, and usually it’s a good quality national bulletin ( or metropolitan).
5 Likes

Nice idea, but I think I’d still prefer to rather WIN replace the metropolitan edition of Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five with their own composite local/statewide/national/international bulletin at 5pm.

Not that any of these proposals are ever likely to happen of course, but WIN will have to do something about refreshing the format of their local news (the current format of WIN News is IMO, at least 15-20 years out of date) especially when they get NRN Northern NSW/Gold Coast as part of the network.

5 Likes

Exactly.
Telling people not to rescan was the worst decision made.

Nearly everyone I know has not retuned their TVs since last years change, and all TVs I’ve checked at family, etc. houses have something wrong with them.

Either channels on the wrong numbers or old LCN names present - or both.
9Gem on LCN 50 and 9Go on LCN 55 is a common one I keep seeing (with 9HD in the 350+ range).

The only TVs I’ve seen that are correct are the ones I’ve rescanned myself.

The evidence of the WIN NSW and ACT versions of the 6:00pm local news is that they are not. They are dull, boring and lifeless.

4 Likes

(Rolling over from a different thread to be on topic)

If (a big if) WIN Television chooses to expand WIN News or the 2 minute noodle news updates to northern NSW markets are they likely to get the same newsreaders as the southern NSW markets or would they have to appoint different newsreaders for the Northern NSW markets?

If the above fails would WIN be better off introducing a statewide 1 hour news bulletin at 5 pm to 6 pm including local news windows in every market in the northern and southern NSW markets?

3 Likes

WIN are struggling to keep their current news bulletins alive.

There’s is next to no chance of them adding any new bulletins in NNSW.

2-minute noodle updates, of course, as they will be legally required. But I don’t see them adding new staff for that.
They’ll likely just add them into either the Maroochydore or Wollongong studios current schedules.

6 Likes

In your opinion.

I think we will see WIN News launch a bulletin into at least Newcastle and perhaps some of the other NNSW sub markets, for reasons previous explained.

Newcastle would have to be the largest TV market in the country with only 1 news service, correct?

3 Likes

[quote=“KICK-IT, post:1709, topic:214, full:true”]
In your opinion.[/quote]Well, that’s a given considering it’s a post under @NQCQTV2 username. :wink:

I get where he’s coming from though. Realistically, the likelihood of them adding any new services at the moment is very low I would think. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re currently in the final process of axing more of their struggling existing bulletins soon rather than adding any new ones into other regions. Noodle updates would be all I would be expecting from them due to having no choice but to here.

4 Likes

Win’s careers website is currently recruiting for various positions across their Queensland newsrooms including chief of staffs, reporters and camera operators.

Now that could have everything to do with 9 poaching staff for the new bulletins they will be producing for SCA or Win could (unlikely) be bolstering their teams in these areas with the view to move existing staff into covering any news offering offered in NNSW when/if the ownership changes.