WIN News

Very expensive exercise for “prestige” :laughing: but if it helps them improve their advertising rate, then go for it!

Ten Gold Coast (Channel 5) is propped up with mostly radio advertisers who were pushed into spending a little more for TV, so WIN is going to need to start from scratch with advertisers who just want TV only.

2 Likes

Ah yes sorry forgot about that one

If that were the case, WIN News bulletins in Mildura, WA and Mackay would still be running.

5 Likes

WIN will have to launch news in some shape or form to meet the local content requirements - I think full local news is more likely than 2 minute updates.

I don’t think they will launch on the Gold Coast, they likely only need to cover the NSW side of the border with local news to meet the content requirements - not sure what Prime do in the area?

They will almost certainly do it out of Wollongong though.

NBN need some competition.

1 Like

They can cover both sides of the border. ACMA doesn’t discriminate here. SCA has a Gold Coast centric news update which is full of Queensland side news. NBN News used to try to cover more Tweed stories (NSW side) but they’ve given up over time.

Prime7 Gold Coast currently airs Seven News from Sydney (Seven won’t let them air the Brisbane version as per affiliate agreement) but Ten Gold Coast airs Ten News from Brisbane. I’m assuming this contract will carry through with WIN.

If they end up bothering with a local news, I imagine Gold Coast could be produced from Sunshine Coast and Newcastle and whatever in NSW will be produced from Wollongong. No need for new studios then.

1 Like

And SA, either combined or seperate bulletins as previous

I don’t count the 2 min update because WIN isn’t doing any of the leg work

However I see WIN launching full bulletins in NNSW despite all of the other services they have axed.

1 Like

I’d love to know if people here think WIN News would be a serious competitor to NBN News and (in the case of the North Coast/West) Prime7 News in the Northern NSW ratings.

Personally, I think WIN News would most likely be a distant third at best unless they try and poach some of NBN News’ better presenters/reporters. And by that, I don’t mean the likes of Ray Dinneen and/or Mike Rabbitt. The Hendo & Kenny of Northern NSW (considering how long Dinneen and Rabbitt were part of NBN News, probably not an entirely unfair comparison!) are unlikely to ever return to fulltime TV presenting ever again IMO.

2 Likes

Although I think competition is a good thing and so it would be a small plus in a sea of negatives, I suspect mappy & co will put off plenty of viewers - I know, plenty of Channel Ten viewers isn’t really a thing - so I doubt they’d get any serious viewer share.
It will be interesting to see what happens (particularly the reactions to mappy, etc.). :smiling_imp:
(Although I feel sorry for the viewers who will suffer, like the rest of us who occasionally want to watch a Ten/11/one programme.)

3 Likes

Obviously they can, but I’m interested in whether they have to.

1 Like

I don’t think it would be. NBN and Prime7 are pretty established already in the majority of NNSW sub-markets. He could try to carve out a niche in Newcastle if he didn’t go head-to-head at 6pm with NBN but knowing Bruce’s ego he’ll try to take on NBN News and Nine at all costs.

Perhaps a 1 hour bulletin (akin to what Nine is doing with their SCA stations) at 5pm produced from Wollongong with local news/sport/weather inserts might be the way to go for NNSW? I feel this would be more profitable.

3 Likes

No. You can cover just one suburb if you want. Nobody’s watching anyway.

WIN have their silly formula of local-only bulletin which they’d no doubt stick with.
I agree that if they do a local news bulletin Newcastle makes sense as the 1st area to target.

3 Likes

Local news requirements for NNSW - WIN will have to provide some news service to all areas except Central Coast.

2 Likes

Please help a novice, what does it mean in that graph where Prime7 and SCA don’t cover Central Coast, and NBN doesn’t cover Richmond/Tweed. I thought all broadcasters covered all areas, or is that graphic just for local content requirements?

It is not showing coverage - it is showing sub-markets were local content is mandated. In Qld and NNSW not every submarket has to have local content.

Local areas and licensees

1 Like

I may be wrong, but I think they can actually delegate to remove a “local area served” if they prefer to produce content for another “local area served”. As long as there’s 4 green ticked boxes.

NBN actually produces news content for all sub-markets, while Prime7 splits Richmond/Tweed (Lismore has local news content, while Gold Coast doesn’t) and produces primetime news updates for Central Coast. SCA doesn’t even think the Central Coast market deserves their own split so just re-broadcasts the Newcastle signal there.

1 Like

Gotcha, so these broadcasters reach into all areas, it’s just that not all areas have local content requirements?

Yes - in the case of Queensland the legislation says 5 areas out of 7 “chosen by the licensee” and NNSW 4 of the 5 areas chosen by the licensee.

3 Likes

I don’t think WIN News would beat NBN News or Prime7 News in any sub market in NNSW.

But then, WIN (or indeed the current Ten) as a network does not beat Nine or Prime7 in any sub-market in NNSW - so why would we expect WIN News to miraculously to-perform the network average.

In fact Ten NNSW survey to date for 2017 is 4th behind ABC. I’m pretty certain NNSW is the worst performing Ten market in the nation. WIN bought a dud of a station. That’s why the price was $55m - where as Nine paid $250m for NBN 5 years ago.

So yea, if WIN launched local news at 6 it will come behind NBN and Prime7 for sure. To expect any more is a little silly - does Ten beat Nine and Seven in news anywhere in the nation?

Not to mention the brand WIN News is completely unknown in NNSW.

I just don’t think that will stop WIN. Newcastle and Gold Coast will be the two biggest markets WIN broadcasts into out of their 25 markets or so they cover. And considering Newcastle in particular has only 1 local news - I think they will have a crack at it.

As always I could be completely off base!

It will be interesting to see how quickly WIN dumps the Ten brand and how exactly it introduces the WIN brand the 4th largest TV market in the nation.

3 Likes

Presumably there is zero facilities and staff available for WIN to be able have a news service up by the time the purchase of the NRN licence is finalised? So news and weather updates will have to suffice for a while if WIN does intend to do local news.

1 Like