WIN News

The combined populations of Queanbeyan, Goulburn, Googong, Yass, Murrumbateman, Wamboin, Bungendore, Sutton, Cooma and other nearby towns is over 90,000+, a not inconsiderable percentage of potential viewers. The ACT has about 412,000.

Edited as my adding up was wrong.

1 Like

Yeah, I remember it being mentioned on the forums in the past (perhaps in relation to Nine News Canberra) that something like about 20% of the Canberra viewing area is in NSW so I did take that into consideration with my earlier post. :slight_smile:

But what about the other 80% or so? Do they get annoyed by what must be largely irrelevant NSW politics reports on mostly Sydney/NSW-based TV news bulletins when the ACT has their own local government? Or is it really a non-issue with New South Wales not a terribly far drive from the national capital + from what is by all reports, a general interest in politics amongst many Canberrans?

1 Like

I have an on-going interest even though I now can’t vote in the NSW elections, and I know a few people who are interested in NSW politics. What the interest is from people who were born in Canberra I’m not sure but I guess it would be limited. Of course I have very little interest in watching WIN News.

1 Like

Perhaps it would be best if WIN split into a hundred more bulletins and regions. :joy:

Gotta love fake live crosses

but they don’t say they’re live, they’re just crosses.

1 Like

Especially considering that Prime and WIN air national bulletins from Sydney in their schedule, I think a lot of viewers are used to it.

1 Like

Given the ACT is entirely surrounded by NSW, and the Canberra region does include parts of NSW this is definitely more relevant than, say, a peak hour pile up on the M5.

1 Like

as well as Shepparton (half of its viewing area is in NSW)

1 Like

I find that weird how shepparton is included in the north east and border region, because they are so far down from the border.

1 Like

It’s not, Shepparton is under the ‘Goulburn Valley’ region that extends up to Deniliquin in NSW

on WIN and Prime7 Shepparton is a separate market (WIN because of its heritage and Prime7 for some odd quirky reason) but on SCA Nine Shepp is part of the Albury/Border North East market. In the pre-aggregation era GMV 6 used to have NSW Lotto results flashed on the screen on Monday nights. AMV 4 telecast the draw live (via it’s link to RVN 2 which had a link to Sydney, GMV only had a link to Melbourne, they didn’t have a direct link to Sydney in those days).

4 Likes

Yeah, I confused WIN and Nine. But as @DJPizarro said, the region that Shepp is in, goes up to Deniliquin, so that still means that’s yet again more Victorian towns that will have to go through NSW election stuff.

As a person who lives in the Goulburn Valley(Shepparton Area), I actually do not mind listening the NSW election stuff even thou I am in Victoria because some of those issues might affect me. However the old GMV6 area goes as far a kilmore and Seymour, those people might be different because they close to the Melbourne area

4 Likes

Another cross in Canberra last night:

Two reports with Samara Gardner looked like they were in full HD:

2 Likes

Technology upgrades are underway across the entire network. Wollongong started trialling the HD upgrades a few weeks ago.

4 Likes

Would be because Albury is a heritage Prime 7 market and thus still gets a full local news bulletin, which Shepparton has never had on Prime 7.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity how does win news go against 9 news western Vic

NSW Election graphics:

3 Likes

Melissa Russell back from maternity leave tonight