WIN News

As of this year, every single one of them has been centralised to Wollongong.

1 Like

I think there were posts here suggesting that “All Australian News” might still be presented from the Sunshine Coast, but other than that it’s extremely centralised in Wollongong.

Hopefully as we approach the end of the 2018 ratings year, we might get an idea of how WIN News (and other regional news services, during the first full ratings year for all of Nine’s bulletins) has been performing throughout 2018. Personally I wouldn’t be overly surprised if “the Geoff Phillips factor” is at least keeping WIN’s Illawarra bulletin ratings competitive, but is struggling against Prime7/Seven and Nine in other markets.

1 Like

I think markets such as Central West and Riverina would be the most interesting markets in NSW, as to how the market share is spread

1 Like

Did Brent Costello present AAN when he was up in Wollongong for the first week after the Tasmanian bulletin was centralised there?

Win News break, now with added sponsor.

WIN News Illawarra will be airing a 4 part series on the 50th Anniversary of the 1968 Wollongong Bushfires all will be reported by Geoff Phillips.

5 Likes

A very well produced series of reports. It worries me that vintage film of such historic events in regional areas has likely been lost since regional broadcasters have been gobbled up or the owners didn’t have the funds or inclination to preserve their libraries.

WIN Television’s early history can be seen going up in flames during this report on the 1968 Wollongong bushfires.

Something else of interest during this series of reports is the logo used in the news supers.

4 Likes

Luckily a lot WIN productions post that fire are at WIN, the University of Wollongong, Macquarie University and the NFSA.

Surprised no one has mentioned the few graphic changes to WIN News today.

What is a WIN News? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Got caps?

1 Like

Guess it’s true that nobody watches it!

Here’s how the updates looked in comparison. I haven’t noticed the others

2 Likes

What’s different, localised backdrops?

1 Like

Some more…

4 Likes

Localised backdrops that will change depending on the time of the update. Also AAN now has the new graphic package.

5 Likes

I’m all for localisation, but I feel like those local backdrops look worse than the standard national one

2 Likes

This isn’t new. WIN news originally had the local backdrops, then they got rid of them, and now they are back. When Bruce Roberts presented the Border NE news, I asked him when they were coming back, and he said he would find out. I guess they have decided to roll them out again.

Are they in the actual bulletins, I have only seen them on Twitter so far.
What I find weird is that some updates have them (i.e the ones with Bruce Roberts) and others don’t (mainly the ones with geoff phillips)

Still way better than Nine News Regional.

5 Likes

WIN News SA update was still using the old opener/closer gfx on Friday, wonder if they have been updated.

Sunny Coast

3 Likes