WIN News

1 Like

Illawarra yesterday:

Promos:

History promo:

Different footage from this earlier one:

2 Likes

Canberra weather forecasts are done by the Queensland weather presenter, usually Hannah McEwan.

This week someone else is doing it (Hayley Francis). Last night the opening shot had the Sunshine Coast Facebook handle on screen, and at the end of the forecast Hayley said “back to you Geoff”, when Amy Duggan was presenting.

Tonight they had the Canberra Facebook handle, but she still handed back to Geoff who wasn’t there:

4 Likes

where is illawara filmed, how does tanya do the weather for both illawara, and border ne

All NSW and VIC news and weather reports from WIN are filmed in Wollongong in the Illawarra.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a couple of Newcastle news updates, and they look to be HD as well.

1 Like

Perhaps residents of the Illawarra, South Coast & Southern Highlands might have a different perspective but judging by that montage, I probably wouldn’t watch WIN News on a regular basis if I lived down South.

It’s a bit hard to explain in text, but even with something like NBN News or the regional editions of Nine News (which aren’t without faults of their own but that’s for the relevant threads) I feel like there’s at least a tiny hint of pace and energy to the bulletin even if some segments are pre-recorded. By comparison, WIN News Illawarra doesn’t feel particularly pacey or energetic at all.

4 Likes

One could argue that the more laid back style of a bulletin is suited to a regional bulletin, particularly when it’s all local news, as opposed to the composite bulletins that 9/NBN do.

4 Likes

A montage of Canberra on the same night for comparison:

2 Likes

= dull and boring.

3 Likes

Would Bruce Roberts film from there too, because when he does his sign off he always seems too have a little laugh a looks over in the direction of tanya

Yes, he does.
As I said,

1 Like

I saw a WIN News van in Newcastle today (it was a Hyundai iLoad).

Given the noodle updates don’t carry any footage (not that I’ve seen anyway), I wonder what it was doing here?
Scouting out sites from which to present a 6pm local news bulletin perhaps? :grinning:

The other notable feature was that it had QLD rego plates.

3 Likes

Most likely sales representative. SC10 also had no local news bulletins but had Ten decal cars when they were a Ten affiliate.

1 Like

The decal on this van said WIN NEWS in big letters, not just WIN.

Also, wouldn’t sales reps use sedans, not vans?

WIN News is WIN’s biggest and proudest brand, so it would be silly of them not to capitalise or promote it.
Big companies use vehicles they can get a best fleet deal on. SC Nine sales are currently using Holden Colorado utes and Isuzu D Max utes.

I can only think they have the 4WD utes for news gathering reasons if say a flood story breaks, otherwise a Corolla would make more sense unless you have lots of equipment to lug around.

I think I’ve only seen WIN 4WD Utes in Victoria.

Saying that, if it had QLD plates, it was either based at GC or it’s broadcast engineers.

Tanya Dendrinos is now presenting the weather on the Canberra bulletin, like she does on the other SNSW ones. They welcomed her to the team:

I did notice today that the promo end boards only had Geoff and Amy, while last week they still had Hannah McEwan:

3 Likes

Does Hannah McEwan still present the weather in Tasmania, or does she just do Queensland only now?