WIN News

People can complain about WIN axing local news bulletins, but the Ten affiliate for Northern NSW (formerly known as NRTV and SCA10) have not screened local news since 1995

3 Likes

Wouldnt WIN be better off screening a state-based sports program on Sunday morning as an offering in affected markets rather than just axing local news?

It would make more sense than screening a late night news service that no one watches

1 Like

Re, the old 5 minute ABC Regional News Update: Even back then, you probably would’ve been better watching the regional commercial TV station’s local news service (which of course was probably better resourced in the 1980s than it is now, but that’s really beside the point)?

Just for the record, I’d actually be delighted if the ABC were to expand their regional TV news operations. Heck, I’d even like to see an ABC News service on TV which is more focused on Sydney because there are sometimes important local stories that won’t make ABC News NSW that Seven & Nine (Ten to a lesser extent) will cover. But for obvious reasons I can’t see that happening anytime soon.

Sure, but that doesn’t make WIN’s decision to axe four news bulletins any better.

Also if what I saw in Newcastle back in Late April/Early May was anything to go by, WIN’s so-called “effort” at a local news service up there isn’t great. One of the updates was essentially just a regurgitated press release for the Woolworths “Earn & Learn” program!

2 Likes

AAN is easy content, the packaged stories were already made from the previous night’s bulletins. It wouldn’t take them that long to put it all together.

Step 1: Cherry-pick the best stories from the night before; surely a one-person job.
Step 2: Record linking studio pieces, recycle the story intro from last night’s scripts.

Plus it would keep regional viewers happy who like “localness” and shows them stories that might not make the metro network news.

agreed

19 posts were split to a new topic: The woes of WIN. Please discuss perceived/actual issues regarding WIN at the above thread - this thread is for news discussion

Some HD graphics:

2 Likes

Comment from Prime CEO regarding WIN News bulletin closures

“I know the WIN guys well – this would have been a torturous decision for them,” Mr Audsley said. "They’ve been tremendous supporters of local news”.

5 Likes

The axing of WIN News made it as a question on this week’s Have You Been Paying Attention.

Rather strangely, it didn’t make it on this week’s Media Watch, however WIN News was mentioned in this week’s episode in regards to the Ballarat court trial that was already documented elsewhere in this forum.

1 Like

With the last bulletins airing on Friday, the topic might feature in next week’s episode

2 Likes

That’s a good point.

After all, Media Watch didn’t bring up about WIN News Tasmania’s shifting of production from Hobart to Wollongong until after it happened last August.

3 Likes

I think WIN was originally trying to sweep this under the rug without informing the public. If that journalist didn’t do the tweet, most of us wouldn’t know about it no doubt.

2 Likes

Regional media shutdowns are a partnership opportunity

Media transformation is an opportunity for Charles Sturt to pioneer a new model of news production.
https://news.csu.edu.au/opinion/regional-media-shutdowns-are-a-partnership-opportunity

1 Like

Of all the unis, they would actually be the best placed to do some sort of partnership with a commercial outlet. CSU Bathurst used to work with the old CBN-8 Orange back the day IIRC, and maybe with Prime in their early days? (Happy to be corrected, but that’s what I was told).

The only issue here is that CSU needs to make sure they are fairly compensated for their efforts, both the university AND the students. The students are doing what would otherwise be paid work that the likes of WIN can not, or are not, willing to pay. Prime, Nine, SCA and WIN would be rubbing their hands at glee at the thought of cheap labour.

There are issues with the use of uni students for unpaid internships, and that what this could turn into if it isn’t monitored. CSU have to be very, VERY careful about this. The idea is sound, but these commercial mongrels are not to be trusted.

Note: I am a CSU alumni, although not a media graduate.

7 Likes

Hey everyone, I am doing the issue of regional news cuts for an oral presentation in my Year 12 English task. I was looking for some information/articles that you might know about about the latest WIN news cuts to newsrooms and that, if you have any useful links I could benefit from, could you please let me know either here or you can email them to me edwardtremethick@gmail.com

1 Like

And I think there would be “duty of care” issues eg. what happens if a Uni student is involved in a car accident under the direction of the TV station and they are unpaid?

4 Likes

The University of Southern Queensland is also making huge leaps in practical education for future radio and TV producers and presenters.

And that’s all well and good.

What I am getting at is if CSU offers themselves to WIN to reopen a Central West newsroom based at CSU Bathurst, they need to make sure that

A - the university is well compensated
B - the students are well compensated
C - it is not used as cheap labour by WIN, or anyone else for that matter.

I’m all for industry links in education, but the way CSU presented themselves, it sounded like a prostitute on a street corner.

5 Likes

So as we should all know by now, the final editions of WIN News in the Central West, Riverina, Albury & Wide Bay regions will go to air tonight.

Anyone in these markets (or with access to the VAST Regional News channels, presuming that the final bulletins will make it on there) planning to record these last bulletins to see if/how they farewell the audience?

9 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s no real farewell at all.

7 Likes