WIN News

I’m pretty sure the phenomenon of media personalities in regional Australia only staying where they are for a few years at most before moving onto other things isn’t something particularly unique to WIN News Goulburn Valley…

4 Likes

Not when there is only 12 people in the past 2 years. average 6 people a year. It look like two things, The Journalist job market is fantastic which it is not or there is huge pressure coming from above at WIN news

I wouldn’t say it is just WIN News specific - regional areas are generally much smaller grounds for those starting their careers.

In those examples with Stephanie Atkins & Jake Keating - they both started as local journos seen only in the Goulburn Valley market but have since been promoted higher up the ranks to their Woolongong HQ, where they present bulletins across the state.

Over on Nine News Local, the original Shepparton VJ Lana Murphy last year landed a job down the Hume Highway at 9 Melbourne and can sometimes be seen on national bulletins. It’s opportunities like these that move them onto ‘bigger and better’ things, more so than management pressure IMO.

5 Likes

yes maybe your right.

If I own that part of the business, I would would find it strange that there huge turnover of staff in that department in the past 2 years. For an branch run by about 8 people, I alway thought it was underrescoured…Maybe not then

But the management of WIN/Nine Regional/NBN/SC/ABC regional newsrooms know that they are the B-league with potentially lots of new talent coming through and then going on to bigger and better things, and manage accordingly.

It’s a bit like soccer outside of Australia and the US, where the lower leagues often harbour young talent for a few years before they move onto the bigger stage, and where some grandees or pensioners go to see out their twilight years.

2 Likes

Here’s two Riverland Updates from last week. They are still using the sponsor opener from the previous graphics package:

4 Likes

absolutely not strange in the slightest. Many regional tv and radio stations are ‘training grounds’ for us Journos who are starting our careersm some might stay for a few months, others a few years.

6 Likes

I agree with others that this is very little to do with a bad working environment specific to WIN or more specifically their Shepparton office.

Regional news is largely staffed by younger reporters who have come from metro areas and have ambition to one day work in their home city. (The journalism graduates without ambition never even set foot in the door). Therefore, most will jump at the opportunity for a promotion, even if it’s something as simple as the same level job with the same pay in a larger market.

Also, because regional newsrooms need to cover areas with smaller populations and advertising revenue is smaller per capita than the metros, the pay offered is essentially minimum wage, for workloads that aren’t small - for example having to fully prepare 2 reports per day, and attend news that doesn’t always happen withing the bounds of a 9-5 job. May graduates find that journalism isn’t the glamorous job they thought it would be and find that they can get more better work for better money in other fields, or like many other 20-somethings find after a couple of years that their chosen industry just isn’t for them.

3 Likes

Easter Show promo:

3 Likes

WIN is currently advertising for a full time presenter on a temporary six month contract. I can only assume this may be for Melissa Russell once she goes on maternity leave. Surprising they don’t utilise their existing on air talent ie Kristy Coulcher/Kate Fotheringham/Jordan Matthews to cover for Mel if that is indeed the vacancy.

3 Likes

1 Like

Border & North East content from Wednesday:

3 Likes

they’ve changed the opener image??

ANZAC Day graphics last night:

3 Likes

WIN also has to update their Synoptic and satellite. they’re so blurry and… SD.

Lead story tonight on Ten Queensland was from Wide Bay - looks like vision was from WIN.

2 Likes

Gippsland content:

VIC Budget promo & graphics:

3 Likes

Canberra montages from Thursday and Friday this week. Last night weather was presented on location in Trundle, Central West NSW:
05_05_2018_18_16_1605_05_2018_18_16_1805_05_2018_18_16_19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yak-JvHBiUg&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poK6XE_plfY&feature=youtu.be

Competition:
05_05_2018_18_58_0005_05_2018_18_58_0605_05_2018_18_58_2605_05_2018_18_58_3805_05_2018_18_58_5305_05_2018_18_59_05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOeTeGX9zLU&feature=youtu.be

3 Likes

:thinking:

6 Likes

Preferably someone who knows how to use grammar properly. Maybe get a disaffected school teacher? :rofl:

5 Likes