Why can’t I receive the new TV channels? – A Guide to 7HD, 7mate HD, 7flix, 9HD, 9Gem HD, 9Life, 9Rush, 10 HD, 10 Shake, ABC HD, SBS HD, Viceland HD and World Movies HD

Several new digital Free-to-air television channels have been introduced recently.

This guide to those channels includes help for those who are having problems receiving some or all the new offerings.

The newest channels are

Seven Network & affiliates
7HD is a high definition simulcast of Channel 7. It shows exactly the same content as Channel 7 but with better picture and sound quality. It is available in all areas of Australia except Regional WA and Remote Central & Eastern.
7mateHD is a male oriented general entertainment channel. In 2016, it returned as a high definition channel in all areas of Australia, except in Griffith, Broken Hill, Tasmania, Darwin and Regional SA, where it is still only available in standard definition.
7flix is a general entertainment channel in standard definition format. It launched on 28 Febrary 2016. It is available in all areas of Australia except Griffith, Broken Hill, Tasmania, Darwin, Regional SA, Regional WA and Remote Central & Eastern.
7Bravo is a female oriented reality and crime channel in high definition format. It launched on 15 January 2023 and is available in all areas of Australia except Griffith, Broken Hill, Tasmania, Darwin, Regional SA, Regional WA and Remote Central & Eastern.
Nine Network & affiliates
9HD is a high definition simulcast of Channel 9. It shows exactly the same content as Channel 9 but with better picture and sound quality. It is available in all areas of Australia except remote areas.
9Gem HD is a high definition simulcast of 9Gem. It shows exactly the same content as 9Gem but with better picture and sound quality. It is available in metropolitan areas and remote areas.
9Life is a reality and lifestyle channel in standard definition. It is available in all areas of Australia except remote areas.
9Rush is a reality and adventure channel in standard definition. It is only available in metropolitan areas.
Network 10 & affiliates
10 HD is a high definition simulcast of Channel 10. It shows exactly the same content as Channel 10 but with better picture and sound quality. It is available in all areas of Australia except remote areas.
10 Shake is a general entertainment channel in standard definition. It is available in metropolitan and most regional areas. It is not available in Darwin, Griffith, Broken Hill, Mildura, Mt. Gambier/Loxton, regional WA or remote areas.
Sky News on WIN is a news and opinion channel in standard definition. It is available in most regional areas except Spencer Gulf, Broken Hill and remote areas. It is not available in metropolitan areas.
ABC Television
ABC TV HD is a high definition simulcast of ABC TV. It shows exactly the same content as ABC TV but with better picture and sound quality. It is available Australia-wide.
SBS Television
SBS HD is a high definition simulcast of SBS. It shows exactly the same content as SBS ONE but with better picture and sound quality. It is available Australia-wide.
SBS Viceland HD is a general entertainment channel exclusively in high definition. It is available Australia-wide.
SBS World Movies HD is a movie channel exclusively in high definition. It is available Australia-wide.
SBS Food is a food and cooking channel in standard definition. It is available Australia-wide.

+ Important Information +

In nearly all cases, you should “re-tune” your television or or set-top-device in order to correctly receive these channels. This means following the instructions that came with your television or equipment. The rest of this guide assumes that you have followed the manufacturer’s instructions for this procedure.

There are four main things that influence the results of a re-tune and whether you can receive these new channels:

1. Where you live
  2. The age of your television or set-top device
  3. If you watch TV through Foxtel
  4. HD compatible television

1. Where you live
Check the table below (Channels per region). It shows what channels can be received in the various regions.

2. The age of your equipment
Most of the new channels use a new type of signal, called MPEG-4 that cannot be received on older equipment. Which channels use MPEG-4 can also vary from one area to another.

Check the table below. The MPEG-4 channels are highlighted in yellow. The channels with blue highlighted boxes can be received on all televisions.

A step by step guide for tuning older equipment is also provided below.

3. Foxtel
If you rely on Foxtel for all your TV, some or all of these channels may not be available. 7HD, 9HD and 10 HD are cable-only services shown on 207, 209 and 210 respectively. 7Flix is only available on Foxtel cable at this time.

However, if your Foxtel service does not include a channel you want to receive, you may be able to use a TV antenna to watch the new services.

4. HD Television
To receive 7HD, 7mate HD, 9HD, 9Gem HD, 10HD, ABC HD, SBS HD, Viceland HD or World Movies HD (or regional equivalents) you must have a HD television.
Hint: If you can receive ABC HD on digital channel 20 then you have a HD television.

National & Commercial Channel Table

Channel Table - Nat & Com (19 Jan 2021, v12).pdf (312.8 KB)

Specialty Channel Table

Channel Table - Specialty (2 Oct 2020, v5).pdf (307.7 KB)

(Original table can be found here and here)

+ Detailed Information for Older Equipment +

A. If you are in a metropolitan area and can receive channel ABC TV, SBS, 7 and 9 and 10 you should be able to receive 7flix on channel 76, 9Life on channel 94, 9Rush on channel 96, and SBS Food on channel 33.

If you can receive NBN TV on digital channel 8 you should receive 9Life on 84 and SBS Food on 33.

If you can receive WIN TV on digital channel 8 you should be able to receive SBS Food on 33.

If you can receive the 9 Network on digital channel 5 you should be able to receive SBS Food on 33.

If you can receive the 10 Network on digital channel 5 you should be able to receive SBS Food on 33.

If you can receive the 7 Network on digital channel 6 you should be able to receive SBS Food on 33.

If you do not, you will need to recheck the instructions for tuning your television and try again.

B. If you have successfully tuned in 7flix, 9Life, 9Rush and SBS Food on 76, 94, 96 and 33 respectively, but still can’t find some or more of the other channels - 9HD on 90 (or 50 or 80), 7HD on 70 (or 60), 10 HD on 1 or 15 (or 80 or 50), ABC TV HD on 20 - you should now check your received channel list.

Look for channel 78 - RACING.COM. Select and view that channel if possible.

This channel uses the new MPEG 4 format that is also used by 9HD, 7HD, 10HD, ABC TV HD plus 9Life in most regional areas. Therefore, if you can view channel 78 but cannot see 9HD on 90 or 50 or 80, 7HD on 70 or 60 or 10 HD on 1, 15, 80 or 50 or ABC TV HD on 20 or SBS HD on 30 or 9Life in some areas, you need to recheck the instructions for tuning your television and try again.

C. If 78 is not on the channel list or displays as a blank screen with sound only or is listed as " audio only" or “no video” you will find that the new channels that broadcast in MPEG4 (e.g., 9HD on 90 (or 50 or 80), 7HD on 70 (or 60), 10 HD on 1 or 15 (or 80 or 50), ABC TV HD on 20, SBS HD on 30 or 9Life in some regional areas) are the same if available in your area. This means that your television is not compatible with the MPEG4 broadcast signal that these three channels use.

Note: A limited number of models may be compatible but have the option to do so disabled. You can adjust the settings in certain models of 2009/2010 Panasonic sets via “Add MPEG-4 AVC Channels” in the menu. Some other brands may have similar settings available in their tuning options menu.

Frequently Asked Questions

If my regional area is not listed a being a broadcast region for a new channel e.g., Prime, Imparja, etc, when will the new stations be available?
There is no information on when the broadcast of all stations will be extended at this stage.

Why are TV networks using a broadcast that my TV can’t receive?
The newer broadcast type, called MPEG4 uses the available transmission space more efficiently to allow for more channels and better picture quality.

When will Foxtel show all the new channels in my area?
Foxtel currently broadcasts SBS Food, 10 HD, 9HD, 7HD and 9Life to some but not all areas, depending on whether you have a cable or satellite connection. There is no information on other services at this stage.

Am I missing out on anything if I can’t watch these channels?
7flix, openshop, 9Life, 9Rush, 10 Shake, SBS Viceland HD, SBS World Movies HD and SBS Food all show new or different programming which is not available on existing older channels. The new HD channels 7HD, 7mate HD, 9HD, 9Gem HD, 10 HD, ABC TV HD and SBS HD show exactly the same programs as their SD equivalents. For example, 7HD shows the same programs as Channel 7.

Information for NBN areas

Three new services are now available in Northern New South Wales provided by NBN. They are 9HD, 9Gem HD and 9Life. These are in addition to the original Channel 9, 9Gem and 9Go! services.

The Channel Line-up:

LCN Channel Encoding
8 9NBN MPEG-2 SD
80 9HD MPEG-4 HD
81 9NBN MPEG-2 SD
82 9Gem MPEG-2 SD
83 9Go! MPEG-2 SD
84 9Life MPEG-2 SD
85 9GemHD MPEG-4 HD
88 9Go! MPEG-2 SD

To enable us to provide the viewers with Full High Definition pictures, add new channels, as well as maintain our existing range of channels we will be using a newer technology called MPEG-4 to broadcast the High Definition Service on Channel 80.

All of the other services will be broadcast in the current technology we are using now, MPEG-2.

For FAQ for NBN viewers visit the NBN website

9Rush is not currently available in NBN areas.

Information for WIN Network areas

LCN Channel Encoding
8 WIN MPEG-2 SD
80 WIN HD MPEG-4 HD
81 BOLD MPEG-2 SD
82 PEACH MPEG-2 SD
83 Sky News on WIN MPEG-4 SD
84 TVSN MPEG-2 SD
85 GOLD MPEG-4 SD

The WIN Network broadcasts WIN HD and shows Network 10 programs on this service.

WIN HD on digital channel 80 is a simulcast with WIN on digital channel 8, so you’ll still receive the same programs in Standard Definition on WIN.

WIN HD uses MPEG-4 technology so will only be available on newer devices.

WIN TV viewers should check the WIN website if they are unsure of the services broadcast in their area.

10 Shake is not available on the WIN Network.

Note: WIN TV broadcasts Network 10 programs in many areas as well as services from Seven and Nine in others.

Information for 7flix

Information from the 7 network regarding 7flix can be found at 7flix Frequently Asked Questions (archived version) web page.

Update: When launched, 7flix broadcast in MPEG-4, so it could only be viewed on some televisions. It has now changed to MPEG-2 making it available on all televisions. The FAQs linked above have been updated to reflect this change.

LCN Channel Encoding
1 10 HD MPEG-4 HD
10 10 MPEG-2 SD
11 10 Peach MPEG-2 SD
12 10 Bold MPEG-2 SD
13 10 Shake MPEG-4 SD
15 10 HD MPEG-4 HD
16 TVSN MPEG-2 SD
17 Spree MPEG-2 SD

More information on how to watch 10 HD can be found here.

Information for Nine in Southern Cross Austereo areas

Southern Cross Austereo broadcasts Nine Network programming in many regional areas of Australia. 9Rush is not currently available.

Southern NSW, ACT, Regional Queensland, Regional Victoria and Tasmania:

Spencer Gulf SA and Broken Hill NSW:

Information for Nine in some WIN Network areas

The WIN Network operates Nine Network channels in some areas. 9HD, 9Life and 9Rush are not currently available.

Mildura, Griffith, Mt. Gambier, Loxton and Regional Western Australia:

Information about ABC TV HD

ABC now provides the following channels in all markets:

LCN Channel Encoding
2 ABC TV MPEG-2 SD
20 ABC TV HD MPEG-4 HD
21 ABC TV MPEG-2 SD
22 ABC Kids/TV Plus MPEG-2 SD
23 ABC ME MPEG-2 SD
24 ABC NEWS MPEG-2 SD

ABC TV made the transition to high definition on 6 December 2016. Viewers with HD compatible TVs with MPEG-4 functionality can experience ABC TV in HD.

Viewers without an HD compatible television can still watch ABC TV in standard definition on channel 2 and 21.

ABC NEWS has changed from HD to SD (remaining on channel number 24). So viewers who previously couldn’t receive ABC NEWS because they didn’t have an HD TV set, will be able to watch ABC NEWS following the change in December.

You may need to re-tune your TV sets to be able to receive ABC TV HD and ABC NEWS.

See the ABC TV HD FAQ for more information.

Information about new SBS channels

SBS TV now provides the following channels in all markets:

LCN Channel Encoding
3 SBS MPEG-2 SD
30 SBS HD MPEG-4 HD
31 SBS VICELAND HD MPEG-4 HD
32 SBS World Movies HD MPEG-4 HD
33 SBS Food MPEG-2 SD
34 NITV MPEG-2 SD

Please refer to the information below about recent changes to the SBS TV broadcast.

What is SBS Food?
SBS Food is a new food channel that replaced SBS Food Network. The change happened after a content deal between SBS and the US-based Food Network ended. SBS Food broadcasts nationally in MPEG-2 SD. See SBS Food press release for more information.

Do I need to retune to access the new HD channels?
Some viewers may be required to retune their televisions in order to receive the new SBS HD, SBS VICELAND HD and SBS World Movies HD channels. Some digital TV equipment will automatically detect changes and your set may retune itself, or it may prompt you to retune in order to access the HD channels.

SBS HD was previously available, but now I cannot see it. What happened?
In leveraging new technology to get the most of the spectrum available, SBS HD was upgraded to MPEG-4 on 8 April 2017. SBS VICELAND HD also launched at the same time. Viewers require a TV set, set top box, personal video recorder or PC tuner card that is MPEG-4 and HD compatible. Most TVs purchased from 2009 onwards should be compatible. See the SBS HD Upgrade FAQ for more information.

SBS VICELAND (in SD) was previously available, but now I cannot see it. What happened?
SBS VICELAND (in SD) was replaced with SBS World Movies HD in 2019. SBS VICELAND HD continues in MPEG-4. See the SBS World Movies HD press release for more information.

Why are SBS HD, SBS VICELAND HD and SBS World Movies HD missing or just broadcasting audio?
Viewers require a TV set, set top box, personal video recorder or PC tuner card that is MPEG-4 and HD compatible to watch SBS HD, SBS VICELAND HD or SBS World Movies HD.

Last updated: 19 January 2021

4 Likes

Have brought this over from the old forum so it can be updated as developments in this area occur.

Could we possibly have some suggestions for STBs, a Freeview box, a PVR from members? May be able to incorporate that information.

Just letting everyone know Foxtel via Optus Cable TV does not have One, Gem, Seven Mate, Nine Life, Eleven and SBS Food for some strange reasons. Can someone tell me why since I have Foxtel Via Optus Cable TV

Thanks

Ring Optus, they will tell you something along the lines of it being their own infrastructure and they haven’t got to it. Optus only have some tens of thousands with Foxtel, it’s a shame as Optus has most developed, modern cable network.

Optus don’t run an exact set of the Foxtel channels, all are received via satellite to a Optus infrastructure in the three cities with cable and then they receive off air there the local FTA channels which are placed into their cable system.

Best you can do is email or write to Optus with your request.

What is Optus Email address that I could use? I have looked over at optus.com.au and I could not find one at all

Try completing the fields on this page to send an email.

Thought I might mention that if you have a Panasonic Vieira, from late 2009ish, and cannot pick up the channels, check channel settings and enable MPEG4.

Had this problem with my TV. Once enabled and completed a rescan all channels were picked up fine.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I have a Panasonic Vieira from that era too. I’ll look for that setting.

1 Like

Currently the article says

Note: A limited number of models may be compatible but have the option to do so disabled. You can adjust the settings in certain models of 2009/2010 Panasonic sets via “Add MPEG-4 AVC Channels” in the menu. Some other brands may have similar settings available in their tuning options menu.

Any suggestions for changes or additions to this?

That’s fine like that, I say.

You could add that newer TV/STB firmware may be available on the manufacturer’s website.

Turns out my Panasonic Viera TX-32LKD70A is older than that, from Dec 2007. Can’t see anything relating to MPEG in the Picture/Setup menus. The manufacturer doesn’t seem to provide any firmware updates for anything before 2010.

Article updated - may need a few tweaks still.

Should be RACING.COM, but otherwise can’t see anything wrong with this!

Fixed - thanks

What About Panasonic DVR’s? I can’t pick up any MPEG-4 on any of them.

Should we update this to say that WIN has added a placeholder on LCN-85/86 advising viewers that WIN HD and 9Life will be available soon? :slightly_smiling:

My Foxtel box doesn’t have most of those either. I can’t find a few of the digital channels in the guide including 7Mate, One, 9Life and I think Go!. I’m guessing I need to do something to retune it? It’s a bit annoying that I have to switch off foxtel and onto my other digital box every time I want to watch one of those channels.

Updated with information on WIN TV

It all does my head in! One minute 76 and 90 are on one tv or the other or both but with “no audio/video” messages, then they disappear never to be seen again! Then Ten HD pops up on channel 13 but says ‘no service’. :flushed: