What radio station did you first hear this on?

I wasn’t living in Brisbane during the 70s so I didn’t hear that one

1 Like

He’s on 2UE weekend mornings!!

4IP used to run a series called “The History of Rock and Roll” which was were I heard most “classic hits” for the first time. As well that had some very good Beatles specials where I heard most of their songs first. Another source of first was the series of music collections that was released across the years like Hitwave 82, 1982 In the Sun or Explosive Hits 73. They all seemed to contain songs that I had never heard of as well as the hits of the time.

3 Likes

Those compilation albums are SOOO much more imaginative than the ones that are out now…

They mostly each had a different name (rather than all being called “So Fresh…”) and some of the album artwork was pretty good too.

1 Like

1982 In The Sun was awesome! Loved the cover too.

This was a great album cover… its SOOO 80s!

And these are 2 of my favourite compilation albums.
Not so much for the artwork, but some fantastic songs.
1984 was when I REALLY started to get into music and radio.

3 Likes

I had those ones on cassettes :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah love those too!

I have a theory that music peaked in 1984. What a year!

2 Likes

Also in my i-tunes collection from 84

And

Where you could hear Hitler Warp from the movie To Be or Not to Be

And

With the iconic Robert De Niro’s Waiting by Bananarama :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can remember going to visit relatives in Perth at the start of October 1997 and on the first night there, I was scanning the FM dial to see what was being played. Tuned to the old 96.1 Triple M and they are playing Barbie Girl by Aqua. It was the first time I had heard that song ever and was shocked that a station like Triple M were playing it! I then realised that their format was more like 2Day FM’s back home.

2 Likes