Watermarks

I think it’d be a bit hard to top it, as the current ribbon logo is pretty timeless as it is, since they dropped the gradient and segmented the ribbon back in 2003. However I had been thinking a few weeks ago of making a modern version of the Seven Nightly News brand with the classic split 7 logo, as the ABC’s lissajous wave logo designed way back in the 1970s (I’m talking about the thicker version, not the original) has returned as it works well in this current age due to its timeless design.

I wonder if they same could be done for the classic split 7 logo, but I highly doubt Seven will be changing their current logo anytime soon, as I said before, it’s pretty timeless in its current form.

5 Likes

Yes that’s true, that’s why I said the current is more timeless as they dropped the gradient from the 2000 version, and segemented the sections and made them solid red back in the 2003 relaunch. If there were to be a slightly better one that’s better then current logo in my opinion, they could return the ribbon style again, but drop the gradients and instead make the top trapezoid a light red, and the overlapping one the current red. There was a picture someone made of that, but I can’t find it at the moment.

Seven have combined the network watermark with the sport watermark (LCN 70 Melb), to produce this…

A huge “7” & tiny “HD” :confused:

Note:
I’d guess BCM automate it, so they can’t change it (i.e.) HD is always small for top right - sport & large for bottom right - normal network programming?

As you can also see more clearly in the “Good Friday Appeal” thread.

2 Likes

Watermark screwup on 7HD tonight during the 1 year to go for comm games

3 Likes

Even worse

6 Likes

This has been discussed a number of times before.

The “HD” is clearly automated to the EPG or a specofied time, so if programs run overtime, etc. this always occurs.

How difficult is it for them to combine the “7” & “HD” together? So it’s one imput, literally ONE watermark?

Currently they appear to be two different imputs.

You can also clearly see the “HD” ‘fade’ to/from ad breaks a split second before the “7”, where as the “7” immediately disappears with the black screen (feed).

The HD is a separate add-on (as it is on other networks’ channels) so that it only appears on the HD version of the channel, while everything else can be broadcast on the SD version of the channel (including the programme content, supers, watermark, promos, commercials, everything is the same except for the HD add-on).

The HD will never be combined with the channel’s logo because it’d only work when there isn’t an SD version of the channel, and at that point there’s no need for the “HD” qualifier at all (like how it doesn’t appear on Prime7’s HD channel: 7mate).

3 Likes

7Mate in Queensland has often carried the HD add on even though there is no SD channel.

3 Likes

Yeah I don’t quite get that. Wouldn’t the placement of the 7 be different on the SD & HD channels to allow for the addition of the extra wording next to the logo on the HD channel? So therefore wouldn’t the playout of the 7 logo be managed separately to account for this rather than just the HD addition?

1 Like

The 7 component of the watermark is the same position on both the SD and HD channels. The means that pop ups and promotional watermarks align properly on both.

4 Likes

I see, thanks for the clarification.

If you look at the watermark during tonight’s Good Friday Appeal, you can see the strategic positions are automated.

Just a press of a button.

They don’t just place them whereever they feel like on the screen.

(i.e.)
The “HD” is exactly where it would be, if the coloured “Live & Free | 7” was next to it.

And the “7” is precisely aligned above where it would be down the bottom.

I was wondering why they weren’t using the “Live 》7” (like seen on Dancing & X Factor), but probably due to what I just talked about, can’t be done at the top?

2 Likes

Has anyone noticed that the ABC HD watermark moves upwards slightly after the logo disappears?

5 Likes

Despite Seven Sport’s press release saying The Front Bar would be LIVE in Melbourne tonight…

The watermark says something different.

Anyone know if tonight’s standalone* ep is actually LIVE or not?

2 Likes

5 Likes

Here’s a few watermarks from Foxtel:

4 Likes

It’s been ages since I’ve watched more than a few moments of FOX8, but I thought they usually have the watermark in the 4.3 safe area for programs produced in 4.3 like the animation repeats.

2 Likes

I prefer to see networks move their watermarks to 4:3 safe when they’re showing 4:3 programming. It looks weird when it’s sitting in the pillar box area.

8 Likes

I prefer it the other way; their advertising off the side, obscuring less of the programme content.

3 Likes

Umm, why the ITV logo with Lifestyle?