Watermarks

SBS watermark free during tonight’s commercial-free airing of Schindler’s List.

9 Likes

Oh so it is commercial free! I’ve been watching for the past 20 minutes and was starting to wonder! :stuck_out_tongue:
Wish more networks would do this.

1 Like

When Schindler’s List had its FTA premiere on Seven (I think it was 1995) it was commercial free, although the broadcast was sponsored by Toyota.

2 Likes

The slightly different (compared to the SD version) watermark on the new SBS VICELAND HD* channel during the soccer:

*Yes, it’s in MPEG4 and the HD simulcast of the main SBS channel has also switched to MPEG4. See the “HD Broadcasting” thread for further discussion.

8 Likes

Viceland HD normal programming watermark appears different to sport.

7 Likes

Today, SBS launched SBSHD as an MPEG4 service, along with VICELAND HD as a separate HD service as well. SBS is now the only FTA broadcaster to offer 2 HD services.

6 Likes

I don’t think so. If I recall correctly, a few years ago the government removed a ban on multiple HD channels.

2 Likes

Was there a ban on multiple HD channels? IIRC, the only rule that was abolished was a rule stating that the primary channel had to be shown in SD regardless of any HD simulcast.

1 Like

There was previously a 2xSD and 1xHD limit on channels for commercial networks, but that died with analogue TV.

3 Likes

Live w/m

8 Likes

Love Child promo watermark

1 Like

Olive green makes a nice change

6 Likes

Network watermark on Ch 7 HD during the Good Friday Appeal [LCN 70 Melbourne]

1 Like

2 Likes

Does anyone know how the Channel 7 watermark switched from the circle design to the current design at the start of 2000? Were there any clues on the impending switch and did it switch from 0:00, January 1?

2 Likes

Switched at midnight. There were no leaks of the new logo it was quite a well kept secret, although the internet wasn’t as common place back then so less chance of discussion about it

8 Likes

I remember first seeing it on New Years Day during a broadcast of Golf I think?

1 Like

Really? I mean those logos were good for their day, but I don’t think they’d work well on TV in this day and age. You’re also forgetting that there’s been some slight variants of the red Seven logo, especially over the last decade or so.

6 Likes

It’s fine as it is and doesn’t need to change.

12 Likes

The current Seven logo is fine to me, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

4 Likes