Watermarks

3 Likes

Despite Sydney getting the AFL on 7mate (which usually results in a “7mate” version of the “Live & Free” thing the network usually does for Sport), we’re also getting this one.

5 Likes

Last Monday night, Talking Footy on 7 Sydney had the 7mate logo.

2 Likes

Was looking through some old discs and found some caps, so here’s some classic watermarks…

The initial ABC HD watermark from when the native 720p channel launched:

!

They scaled it down after complaints:

For comparison, the ABCTV watermark at the time:

Of course they didn’t learn their lesson, and when they relaunched, they had some of the worst watermarks on TV -

I believe that ABC2 screenshot is after they toned it down. Unfortunately I still haven’t found a cap of the ABC HD one at the time - same spot as ABC1, larger and green.

11 Likes

I just had a look at the old archive here and found this one. Dated 7/10/2007

8 Likes

Of course it wasn’t just the ABC with massive HD watermarks:

12 Likes

“The Blinds” :open_mouth:

5 Likes

Nine thinks “blind auditions” is hard for fans to remember, so it replaces the term with “the blinds”.

1 Like

They’re renaming them as “The Visionally Challenged” next year.

5 Likes

Or “The Curtains”.

2 Likes

The green ABC HD watermark

7 Likes

Nah, that’s the toned down version. They had a far worse one initially. I believe it was different on native HD programming.

That said, posting those old watermarks - I remember the outrage at the time about them - but that The Voice one from Nine now is far worse - solid and taking up far more of the screen. But now they seem accepted.

1 Like

Back in 2008:
Nine%20and%20Seven%20advertising%20watermarks
sourced from www.siteoffline.com

6 Likes

Nine’s Olympic watermark, from 2010.

7 Likes

The 3D Olympic watermark

8 Likes

For some reason, HD looked better fifteen years ago then it does now for some reason.

Anyone agree?

2 Likes

It is when you run a HD service in 1080i at a bitrate of 10mbps+.

Would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison between 2007-era MPEG2 HD with 2018 MPEG4 HD, if that was possible.

1 Like

Hoping its permanent.

19 Likes

:scream:

I just switched on the TV to see if it was true and was sorely disappointed. Mappy lives. It has been so long since I last watched Ten programming on WIN that I pressed 5 instead of 8 on the remote.

4 Likes