Watermarks

I would normally agree - but this is one case where there is too much “sport”.

Because it is a dirty feed sourced from Seven.

3 Likes

That’s right.
You can vaguely see the 7 logo behind the FOX.

3 Likes

Seven Sport ‘Brownlow - Red Carpet’ watermark.

Similar but smaller to previous years.
20170925_193133

10 Likes

11 Likes

Transition lasted a few seconds

8 Likes

So 7HD switched to 7mateHD just for tonight’s count, in Sydney & Brisbane?

1 Like

No, LCN-70 is still simulcasting the main channel here in Sydney.

The “7mateHD” caps of the Brownlow’s being posted to this forum tonight are coming from regional Queensland.

8 Likes

What’s with 7 Qld having the location in the watermarks?

7Mackay_watermark_2017-09-26_17;20'46_AEST

Have Seven started doing this in Sydney/Melbourne/etc?
If not, why here? What are Seven saying about people here…?

3 Likes

7 have had the location names in our regional QLD watermarks for as long as I can remember.
The Mackay one (as you’ve posted above) is one of the best… in my opinion:
“Central Queensland > 7” is the worst one, covers a massive chunk of the screen.

Something to do with feeds and advertisers from what someone has said on here before.

6 Likes

I could understand/forgive it in the overlap area near Brisbane/Gold Coast, like 9NBN Central Coast & Gold Coast, but I’m >1000 km away from there, and the LCN description is enough for everybody else.

And “Queensland > 7flix”…really?

(At least it’s not a huge solid WIN shitstain.)

1 Like

Correct, there’s a few overlap areas (Central Highlands, Wide Bay) that can receive signals from a couple of sub-markets so it’s to distinguish between the different signals, more so for local news. Someone in 1770 or Monto May prefer their local news from Wide Bay rather than Central Qld for example.

And why wouldn’t the channel name attached to the LCN be sufficient when tuning your TV & choosing which channels to store/keep/add to favourites?

No offence to anyone that lives in regional areas (I’m from Rockhampton myself) but the peeps aren’t as media/technology savvy as metro residents and they probably wouldn’t pay much attention if any, to the LCN description. My mum still calls Ch9 WIN ffs… Watermark is just an easy way to distinguish on air for 7Qld plus gives a bit more of a local feel I guess.

On the Gold Coast

Note that 7HD on the GC is a direct Brisbane relay with no location w/m.

6 Likes

Sunshine Coast from 2012

8 Likes

If someone from 1770 is watching TV, I reckon the watermarks are the least of their worries!

6 Likes

It’s a town between Gladstone and Bundaberg…

2 Likes

From 2005:

6 Likes

I think you give too much credit to people in large cities; I don’t think most people know or care, and even in those same areas (excluding the metro overlap areas like the Gold Coast, NSW Central Coast), none of the other networks have these location watermarks, and they seem to be OK without them.

For me, It’d make me prefer to watch the other channel, the metro one without the extra crap on the screen.

PS: Oh, and nothing seems to explain/justify “Queensland > 7flix”. I’d hope residents would at least know which state their in (and it is a fairly large state).

2 Likes