US Politics

It’s still up now lol

Here’s an interesting breakdown of US demographics, showing how each county compares to ethnic, racial, gender and age of the US as a whole.

The hysterical nature of how some of these pieces are written is a massive turnoff. Reeks of bias.
Then again, it’s to be expected considering Russia = Bad has been ingrained as the status quo in the US for almost a century.

Its true, cnn is a fake news network.

CNN’s bias is toward sensationalism. I never said they weren’t, just that they’re not inherently left wing. CNN fired a reporter for saying “fuck Trump” IIRC, so that seems to show they at least pay lip service to the idea of being ‘moderate’.

If the Obama or Clinton administration were imploding you’d be damn sure CNN would be doing similar questionable practices.

Mind linking the YouTube clip of the CNN producer?

Who’s “we”?

Yes, because there is a common misconception that the right wing commonly falls into that the press is inherently left-leaning in the United States. The truth is that more often than not newsrooms are run on shoestring budgets and are in such competition with one another that sensationalism and erroneous liberty with the facts becomes commonplace. The same is happening here in newsrooms under financial pressure, such as Nine, Seven, Fairfax and News Corp, in that there is less revising of stories before they go to print/air and more emphasis on shit-tier reporting.

As I said, if Obama’s administration was imploding at the same pace that Trump’s was, I’m sure CNN would be making the same mistakes with its so-called investigative unit.

Further, even if the American mainstream TV and newspapers do skew slightly left, you forget that Fox News, talkback radio, Christian media and lots of news sites skew heavily right in the US, and are probably similar in size and stature over there too. Is it not hypocritical to rail against NYT and CNN for their perceived bias yet turn a blind eye to those billion dollar industries and their perceived bias?

Accusations of bias don’t detract from the fact that two of Trump’s closest allies (Manafort and Flynn) resigned due to their connections with Russia either.

If I did say “sorry”, I wouldn’t quickly edit my comment to un-apologise unlike you. Still waiting yours.

1 Like

I would have to kindly disrespect with your assssment about the press in the US not being impartial when it comes to anything.

Freedom of the press is a guaranteed right over the us (even here in Aus) but in the six or so months I have seen from reading Washington post , New York Times and even watching ABC,NBC and god forbid the CNN news channel there is no doubt in my mind that 99% of the articles and reporting that has been done since trump has been in office with his administration has been totally against him and you know why ? Hillary didn’t win. Simple. They claim to be unbiased in reporting by all you need to do is watch the ones that have the most opinion that outways others and you will see what’s being discussed.

Okay and for every CNN, ABC and NBC viewer and NYT and WaPo reader, there is a Fox News and The Blaze viewer, Wall Street Journal, National Review and Breitbart reader and right wing radio listener.

If press in the US is biased, then don’t pretend that the right wing is a victim. The right is spoiled for choice of openly conservative commentators. After all, Fox News basically pioneered opinionated news coverage and is far and away the leader in cable news ratings (or at least until the Trump Presidency).

The only reason Firetorch and yourself take issue with CNN and other outlets is because it isn’t Fox or Breitbart.

1 Like

Evangelicals consume news and comprise of a massive portion of the GOP’s base. Ofc there are outlets specially tailored to their interests.

oh no however will my reputation on a niche television presentation forum recover??

Your “exposé” of me (because I’m apparently worth it) would be helped if you actually provided a link to this video. So far all we’ve seen are some random images with text.

Tak, clip didn’t load on my phone.

Nothing really at odds with what I’ve said about CNN in the past, which is that they chase the ratings $.

Fox News: Fair and Balanced.

Like I said, two advisors to Trump have quit because of the Russia connection.
Trump fired the FBI director investigating this and potentially obstructed justice.

Whether you like it or not, the Russia story has some basis in reality. Where CNN takes it is up to them and their ad revenue. [quote=“Firetorch, post:701, topic:1886”]
Look past the corny straplines - Fox is unashamedly right wing.
[/quote]

Not to the majority of its viewers.

I’ve met lots of people from either side of politics. Right or left - there are gullible people everywhere.

That’s disingenuous, considering Trump support among white voters gets stronger the lower the socio-economic class, and is particularly strongest among workers who’ve lost out thanks to globalisation. Trump’s support declines by 0.65% every 1% of the population is college educated, albeit this was in the primaries.
Also see:

I mean, in the grand scheme it’s not really setting the world on fire. [quote=“Firetorch, post:705, topic:1886”]
the coverage of the travel ban reinstatement
[/quote]

Ban affects hundreds of people at most. Naturally was going to be overshadowed by the healthcare debate (which broke on the same day), which is predicted to cause 24 million people to lose health coverage. In terms of public interest and humanitarian scale, the healthcare story would prevail 100 times out of 100. [quote=“Firetorch, post:705, topic:1886”]
the Sanders financial investigation
[/quote]

I haven’t paid attention to this really. Can’t be bothered to research. [quote=“Firetorch, post:705, topic:1886”]
the Georgia Republican win
[/quote]

I sorted this out with you. The aftermath of that win was frontpage news on The New York Times, including in the main headline slot on the left, for almost 24 hours. It talked about Democrats being in disarray.

I don’t read WaPo or really been paying attention to US politics out of healthcare that often. I’ll catch up when I’ve got time.

In the grand scheme of 24 million people losing health coverage, I wouldn’t think CNN being caught out for doing tabloid journalism would be registering too high on many American’s list of priorities.

CNN already did this exact thing once before when MH370 went missing. Wall-to-wall plane theories, because ratings were great. Jeff Zucker must’ve realised that the same thing was happening whenever they covered Trump and Russia (because of enormous public interest) and decided to do it all again.

CNN has been caught out going a little too far, however, as I have said countless times, there is an FBI investigation into Trump, Senate and House committees, a special counsel, and two resignations from Trump’s inner circle. The Russia story has so far had massive implications for the Trump White House, and CNN’s failed investigative unit doesn’t change that at all.

Well yeah?

News stops being news after a while. Shocking I know.

I like his use of social media (sometimes he might need to tone it down for his sake), it’s a way of him getting his message (good and bad) out to the people before the media go and twist and manipulate it.

1 Like

Because Mediaspy is my first destination for discussing German politics :thinking:

She’s an old conservative German. I’m not surprised she’s against it, and I don’t blame or hate her for thinking that way. I have already messaged several of my German friends on Facebook congratulating them on last week’s events.

For that matter, your obsession with bringing up my six month old posts is becoming weird.

Are you so sure? [quote=“Firetorch, post:722, topic:1886”]
And, of course! It usually takes some time for what you say to proven either incorrect, or hypocritical, in light of subsequent events. I make no apologies for highlighting your hypocrisy.
[/quote]
So what you’re saying is that I was right at the time?

Just stop. It really does look desperate.[quote=“Firetorch, post:722, topic:1886”]
You said the “mood” in Germany “dropped” because of Trump. Did it drop now because of Merkel’s homophobic voting?
[/quote]

I’m not in Germany atm, I’ll let you know in six months’ time when I’m back there?

Needless to say, most German’s views don’t align with Merkel’s on SSM, but it is admittedly a side issue and a lot of what makes Merkel popular is her ability to build consensus with other political parties to get stuff done, rather than be needlessly partisan.

Umm honey most LGBT people grow up knowing that lots of institutions and high profile people are naturally against their rights as human beings. We don’t need lectures from a right wing blowhard.